ClubAdventist is back!

Church Dress Code

Dr. Shane

You know, that's a really interesting point. Jesus wore the clothing of his culture. Hmmm. Maybe that could apply to another thread where they were talking about bonnets and veils.

Some of them are more interested in their own opinions... facts are frivolous.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Taylor ... are you referring to the sponge?

Just kidding olger ... just trying a little Neil humor.

Don't worry ... you are loved here.

Sorry, but that is NOT Neil humor....Neil would say that it is OK for Redwood to preach in his birthday suit to a nudist colony. However, there maybe other ethical issues present...THAT is Neil humor.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
You know, that's a really interesting point. Jesus wore the clothing of his culture. Hmmm. Maybe that could apply to another thread where they were talking about bonnets and veils.

I just can't see Jesus in a bonnet and a veil. lol Ok ... just kidding Carolaa

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:

I just can't see Jesus in a bonnet and a veil. lol Ok ... just kidding Carolaa

Good grief, you can wring humor out of anything. Actually, I've always wished I had more of that talent.

Jesus didn't over dress to captivate or extrapolate his righteousness. Some dress to escalate their status on those who are weaker in spirit.

Dressing to "show off" what we have or dressing with the attitude that any old thing is good enough for the Lord soon shows in other area's of our life.

When the attitude is such that God should just be "glad" I am here however I am dressed,instead of the other way around,it soon shows in other area's of your life.

Those that dress with holes in their jeans or skimpy cutoffs should not be taken to task by anyone. A reverence for where they are at and who they came to fellowship with will show in time.

The appropriate best of what you have may be an old pair of jeans. When worn with an attitude of reverence for where you are going and the worst of what you have is worn with a careless attitude of any old thing is good enough for the Lord Are two entirely different matters

Bonnie

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Carolaa ... Yes, I do try to find humor in most things. I realize that it gets me in trouble though.

Let me share you something comical about this topic of church clothing.

My wife got told this week that the reason our churches are not growing is because the women are wearing pants. Huh? Yes. that is the reason.

My wife is more kind than I am ... but I would have thrown a few Ellen White quotes at this guy. There are plenty but here are just a few ....

Quote:
"The limbs should be clothed with pants, always cut after an approved pattern, made tapering to meet the instep of the shoe. Custom and fashion will have their false standard of modesty, and will feign to blush and appear horrified to see women's limbs sensibly and healthfully dressed" {HR, May 1, 1872 par. 13}

Quote:
"You should clothe the limbs of your girls as warmly as you do your boys', thus inducing the blood to the extremities. They should be clothed with warm, lined pants, meeting the instep. In no case should the pants be formed so as to be pulled up out of sight by the children, leaving any part of their limbs exposed." {HR, November 1, 1870 par. 6}

Do you think he would listen to my EGW quotes? I doubt it but it would have made ME feel better.

There are also a few quotes talking about ministers wearing pants. I suppose that some would accuse me taking these out of context to apply to my wife though.

I won't confess who wears the pants in my family. But I am sure you might have that figured out.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Quote:
The appropriate best of what you have may be an old pair of jeans. When worn with an attitude of reverence for where you are going and the worst of what you have is worn with a careless attitude of any old thing is good enough for the Lord Are two entirely different matters

Hi Bonnie, yes, I agree with that! :)

Be Kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another...

Monticello.gif Monticello Georgia

cat_purrr.gif19.gif

As Redwood pointed out EW did weigh in on dress and health issues. However this was not or I didn't think it was about health issues.

As a mother it does drive me nuts when I see people bringing their babies and toddlers to church in the dead of MN winter without being covered. Bare legs/heads/hands are not the best way to set out here in the winter time.

I was under the impression it was about appropriate dress for church and is/should/do we have a dress code.

I am not for the clothes police, but respect for where you are and respect for who you come to meet, whether in a spiritual sense/church/job/ home visit wll soon determine the length of the relationship.

Bonnie

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Many Filipino preachers preach wearing their "dress whites" which consist of white silk shirts, buttoning in front, not tucked inside their trousers.

The shirts which the Filipino pastors wear is a special one called a Barang Tagalog. It is a special shirt worn for the most formal occasions. It is the equivalent to wearing a tuxedo over there.

If you want to be less formal you can wear a "Sport Barang" also with open color but short sleeved. This is never worn in the pulpit...at least not when I lived in the Orient. Unfortunately my nice green silk Barang seems to have "shrunk" over the last forty years.......<g> I still like to look at it once in awhile..It brings back memories.

Quote:
The shirts which the Filipino pastors wear is a special one called a Barang Tagalog. It is a special shirt worn for the most formal occasions. It is the equivalent to wearing a tuxedo over there.

My brother wore one of these at his wedding (he married a Filipina lady).

You're right - it is the most formal type of male attire. Like wearing a tuxedo.

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Jeannieb43

Many Filipino preachers preach wearing their "dress whites" which consist of white silk shirts, buttoning in front, not tucked inside their trousers.

If you want to be less formal you can wear a "Sport Barang" also with open color but short sleeved. This is never worn in the pulpit...at least not when I lived in the Orient. Unfortunately my nice green silk Barang seems to have "shrunk" over the last forty years.......<g> I still like to look at it once in awhile..It brings back memories.

Hi Don! Your Filipino attire must have suffered from the same problem as the Pakistani silwar qamiz which I used to wear.

Now talk about ladies wearing pants to church - unless wearing a sari, they all wear the "Punjabi" outfit which is the most comfortable and practical I have ever known.

Some things are cultural - I know my then husband excited great mirth amongst the locals when he would wear tailored shorts and long socks (this was the 70's) in Karachi, they thought it was sporting attire.

IMO I think those that get hung up on issues like ladies wearing trousers to church should go get a real life....but that is just be.

• 1 month later...

I am reminded of a member who was wearing an engagement and wedding ring and was called down by an older woman just before she put on her mink coat and drove home in her Jaguar!

pearly

• 3 weeks later...

I think it all depends on whats socially/culturaly accepeted for the church you attend. I usually wear long jeans and a long sleeved shirt (not tucked in) because thats what i feel most confortable in. No dramas at all.

Forcing people to adhere to a certain dress code is 2nd to communism.

If it's too loud then you must be too old.