ClubAdventist is back!

Reaching Males

Stan

There are many Adventist preachers out there speaking on these subjects almost daily. David Asscherick, Berry Black, Doug Batchlor, Shawn Boonshra, and Walter Pearson, just to name a few have powerful sermons dealing with Daniel and Revelation, on the subject of the Second Coming. These sermons are on 3ABN and Hope TV, also on-demand on many websites.

As for the sermon this week in church, I'm not sure.

If your view is just what you wrote, then I'm truly disappointed, I thought there was more to it. Give me more, cuz that's all been done, only to strengthen the church.

Don't leave me thinking that "your" point was that weak!

Gene

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• David Koot

• Neil D

• Bravus

This is for David Koot,

I would have replied sooner, but construction on a road near my home caused my DSL to go down for a few hours.

I am not Casey Butler, though I do know him. He is a computer programer. His wife is a member of our church (Red Cliffs Seventh-day Adventist Church). I have spoken to Casey on several occasions and have one of his programs on my computer. It is called "Firefighter" and has cross references and to the Koran and the Lotus Sutra. This is a well written program and very useful, but I do not buy into most of the idea that Casey has.

I am the Moderator for the "Ask a Mechanic" forum here on C/A. I could see where you would assume that I'm the guy with the visions just for the fact that I'm from Hurricane, UT., but Sorry different guy!

Hurricane Utah is a nice place located in the southwest corner of Utah, 5 miles form the Arizona border and 110 miles from Las Vegas.

Sorry this is off topic, just trying to put things in order.

Gene

Hey thanks Gene! I remember you now, I asked you a question about my car's steering. Didn't know you were from Hurricane. It just rang a bell. That was a firefight and a half when all that stuff came up on here. But it is nice to know that there is an Adventist church in Hurricane, and that you are active there. Small world! Sorry for making assumptions.

Dave

Quote:
discombobulations

An Accurate description.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
discombobulations

An Accurate description.

I think the proper term is "connundrums", but discomboobulations seem more accurate ....at least more discriptive...

And I did NOT mispell it....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
discomboobulations

Neil ... I don't think MM feels it was a "boob-oo". He actually believes in what he says. Let's give him credit for that. He believes it to be both ways.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
discomboob

ulations

Neil ... I don't think MM feels it was a "boob-oo". He actually believes in what he says. Let's give him credit for that. He believes it to be both ways.

Of course he believes it both ways...He just hasn't clarified it enough so that he can intelligently talk about it. He keeps milking that teat, and it feels like he trying to suck on mine. Unfortunately, this male don't give milk....Why can't he understand that?!?!?!?!? gah

Hence, he's discomboobulated....... :--)

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Thanks dab ...

But when it said ...

Quote:
It is, of course, not appropriate to eat in a church.

I had to disagree. I used to attend an SDA church where they served drinks and donuts during the break between Sabbath School and the Worship Service. I thought it was a great way to promote conversation and unity. As humans ... we relate well to eating and talking. Fellowship is enhanced by eating.

I am sure this is not something for every church to do. To each its own. But I would not dismiss the idea. During the winter you could serve vege-coffee ... don't get me started on what EGW says about coffee. lol Send me a PM if interested. I may be a male man but I am also a chicken.

PS. To whomever it may concern ... I don't drink coffee. But if I did ... it would be in accordance with her belief that we should never drink anything that is either hot or cold. I would serve it lukewarm.

I believe in Hematology.

PS. To whomever it may concern ... I don't drink coffee. But if I did ... it would be in accordance with her belief that we should never drink anything that is either hot or cold. I would serve it lukewarm.

Hmmmmmm......a lukewarm drink served to people who are considered "luke warm"........brings new meaning to the phrase..."you are what you eat".....Maybe EGW is wrong, in this instance...we need either hot or cold drinks so that we can be either hot or cold....

George Bernard Shaw

I think the idea is that we are to spew it out of our mouths since it is lukewarm.

I believe in Hematology.

I think the idea is that we are to spew it out of our mouths since it is lukewarm.

Makes for a messy church....no wonder males don't come to church....

George Bernard Shaw

Guest Male Man

Quote:
There are many Adventist preachers out there speaking on these subjects almost daily. David Asscherick, Berry Black, Doug Batchlor, Shawn Boonshra, and Walter Pearson, just to name a few

Yeah, I know some of these guys through 3ABN but they are all from the US. Do you know any famous preachers from Australia? Exactly. I think we may be alot worse off down here than you think. We have a diet of satelite preaching and thats all you ever hear is people raving over it but no preachers stand out here. I do like bachelor but he is a bit too nice don't you think? I think he is an evangelist at heart and so doesn't really stir up church folk as evangelists have a nice image to protect.

Quote:
Don't leave me thinking that "your" point was that weak!

This is not a weak point. We as a church in the west are weak - thats the point. Read the book Master Preachers by Review and Herald Press. After reading it, ask yourself if those guys were preaching now would they be accepted and would the churches overflow like then? Would the style of preaching be acceptable today or would the church admin cope throw them out?

Quote:
???So which is it????

Then if you don't, Then why do you feel the message must be preached the right way so that the church will be divided?

You seem to understand on a very superficial level. We don't set out to divide the church by radical preaching but the result is often division. So the premise or goal or priority is - preach the right message for this time with power and courage without fear of being disliked or becoming unpopular. The sure result will be a polarizing affect and sometimes a split church. Not because we wanted it that way but because that's the way Jesus said it would happen if you spoke what he wanted you to speak.

Quote:
He keeps milking that teat, and it feels like he trying to suck on mine.

Dude, you sure are taking a risk saying that stuff here - I joked about another thread being like a knitting club and got the third degree. You wanna talk about me trying to suck on your man boobs - that's sicker than anything I've ever brought up here.

Quote:
Dude, you sure are taking a risk saying that stuff here - I joked about another thread being like a knitting club and got the third degree. You wanna talk about me trying to suck on your man boobs - that's sicker than anything I've ever brought up here.

What is wrong with you????? You get a taste of MAN humor, and you start whining....Good grief! People here know that I am sick and never know what to expect from this male...

..but from you, they already have your whiney little complaint down pat...and when you experience some REAL MAN humor, you start whining....

As usual, You talk generalitys, but the devils in the details...

You complain about men not being men....So, when are YOU gonna start acting like a man? Oh, and real men dont complain about problems they recognise...they do something about it....

For example, Stan....He saw the need for this BBS...and did something about it...and you don't hear him EVERY DAY complaining about how the church isn't doing it's share of communicating....There's a real man..a leader...

The day that I listen to you will be when you have sucess in improving the male ratio in churchs...and show specifics that show how to obtain the goals that you want to see. Until then, all you are doing is being enfeminate and whining....

George Bernard Shaw

The day that I listen to you will be when you have sucess in improving the male ratio in churchs...and show specifics that show how to obtain the goals that you want to see.

Hey, Neil is gonna listen! Alright! Sounds like the 'Elmo' Neil. But seriously, I have had good success, and found some specifics that have worked well. One that has been commented on is a sense of reverence and dignity about the service. Another is preaching that reaches the heart and calls for commitment. I have experienced good results in reaching and holding men who are out in the world, often with litle or no religious background, as well as others who are long-time church-goers in various denominations. Some good fellowship outside of church can be helpful as well, but the core services need to be there.

Dave

Quote:
Jesus said it would happen if you spoke what he wanted you to speak.

What you really mean is that if YOUR truth is presented. What really will divide the church is if you teach Righteousness By Faith. OR ... If you try teaching 1 Cor. 13 ... that would do it every time. Jesus taught a lot of things. He taught things that even the legalists would love. But you have to accept the Bible as a whole. Teaching just part or pulling "snippets" here and "snippets" there ... then you will have trouble.

Excuse the "Bonnie" Humor.

I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: Neil D
The day that I listen to you will be when you have sucess in improving the male ratio in churchs...and show specifics that show how to obtain the goals that you want to see.

Hey, Neil is gonna listen! Alright! Sounds like the 'Elmo' Neil.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
MM has stated that what is needed is MALE preaching...but he doesn't specifically state what that is...It is fustrating to me to hear this without knowing what it is....There are only goals being stated, not principles....and males NEED principles to work with...they need the rules....What you advocate, are principles, and your experience from those principles..right or wrong....MM....? well...let's be gracious and just say I haven't see much in that area....

h5 Now you are talking male talk. We as males need to know what "tools" we have in our "tool" box and we then need to go and use those "tools" to fix what needs fixin.

I believe in Hematology.

h5 Now you are talking male talk.

George Bernard Shaw

ahemmmmm!!

Stan ... Did you mean an a himmmmm or an a hermmmm ?

OR ... is an ahemmm a cross between an a himmm and a a hermmm?

I believe in Hematology.

and you need to tell us which one is the "Hermmmmm"!

George Bernard Shaw

Are you wanting Stan to be the judge? I think not.

I think the Manly Man should be the judge. I vote for HIM.

By now the Manly Man is checkin out though. He thinks this is too silly to be manly.

I believe in Hematology.

the question is whether it will stand the test of time with each individual man...because, you and I both know, that when the excitment and new teaching experience dies down, and he settles into the Word, and into the church, THAT is when that male starts reflecting upon his experience...It is at that point , when he maybe left alone, whispers of controversy can take root and sour the males experience...

In my experience, an important piece of the whole picture is developing a relationship. Not to just see someone on Sabbath morning. Some of the guys and I work on cars and boats together, get out on the water, as well as home visits where I listen and pray with them. You become part of their lives, and they become part of your life. It all is redemptive. Can be challenging, though. One of them really wanted to help me sand my rowing dory, getting it ready to put fiberglass tape on the chines. Well, he brought along a couple of 2-liters and was already pretty sauced when he started. He sanded right through the fiberglass and down to the bare wood. But he really appreciated spending the time together, and he is looking forward to getting baptized. I would not, however, let someone in that condition take the helm of my sailboat!

Dave

I spent 6 month in Aspen Colorado, working at the Hospital there...and found a ClubAdventist member there...Went to her house, and found out that her and her husband bought a place that was being forclosed upon. and it needed some repair big time....So, during my off time, I helped him work on it, planted potatoes there and sawed off contrete wall...Learned some construction techniques that I would never have learned had I not given the time....

and it was fun...and we shared some great spiritual fellowship...

George Bernard Shaw