ClubAdventist is back!

Reaching Males

Stan

There you go, Neil. IMO that kind of stuff is the key, right there. Combine that with a church service that is together, and Christ-centered preaching that reaches the heart, and you will have success in reaching males IMO.

Alright! Ol' Neil got some GOOD ideas! See, I told you that Elmo was rubbing off on you! Here is the proof positive.

Dave

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• David Koot

• Neil D

• Bravus

"Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching people. The Savior mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, 'Follow Me.'" MH 143

David, that was well said. Now we are talking about the PRACTICAL side of bringing men to church -- and, yes, it is the same as bringing women to church. However, I would like to suggest that sometimes we are TOO anxious to get them TO CHURCH! That build up of friendship is most often a long, long job -- 12 months? 2 years? Just so long as it takes to cement a lasting friendship. Your friend watches you, he takes in your attitude, he notes whether you are interested in him as a PERSON or just as a POTENTIAL CHURCH MEMBER. If the latter, well, you have already lost half the battle. Remember, it is not YOU who brings them to church -- it is the Holy Spirit! So often our humanity gets in the way. A friend with whom I have been working visibly relaxed when I assured her that our friendship was NOT dependent on her coming to church or becoming an Adventist. She said , "Thanks, now I know that it is true friendship." In a couple of weeks' time -- at her request -- she will be coming with me to a prayer retreat.

True friendship is the key.

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

That is so very true, Beryl. True friendship is the key. Although I will acknowledge that with some men, it is challenging to get them to come to church. Seems like you have to wait until they see a spiritual need. Part of a redemptive friendship is to help them see that need and to point them to Jesus as the way to meet that need, in Christian fellowship.

Dave

Yes, David, helping them to see that Jesus is the answer to their need is correct, and that is sometimes the area where we need to be very careful of the Spirit's leading. We need, personally, to be so in touch with Jesus that we recognize the Spirit's leading, or His "just wait a little longer". And it is true, so often they see a need for help -- but not a spiritual need, and I guess that is the time when we need to send a quick prayer for help, so that we give the right answer for their need, even if it just builds their confidence in us initially, and then actively keep an ear open for a change in attitude.

Yes, we definitely need the Spirit's guidance!

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

Alright! Ol' Neil got some GOOD ideas! See, I told you that Elmo was rubbing off on you! Here is the proof positive.Dave

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Guest Male Man

Quote:
By now the Manly Man is checkin out though. He thinks this is too silly to be manly.

Ha, you don't know me.

Quote:
What is wrong with you????? You get a taste of MAN humor, and you start whining... ...and when you experience some REAL MAN humor, you start whining....

Your position is a trap. I do not allow myself the liberty with which you goad me on into. If I were to engage in my male humour with you then I would be probably kicked off but you would stay. On another male site where everyone knows each other, we regularly engage in alot rougher play than you wussies do here.

Quote:
real men dont complain about problems they recognise...they do something about it.... The day that I listen to you will be when you have sucess in improving the male ratio in churchs

You have not read all I have commented on in this and other threads - I run a mens group and a dive club for reaching men and their families. It is not one mans show that will change the church but a combined effort is needed. The feminazi's need to relax and allow drums into the church and the converted males need be shown how feminine they have become. Preachers need to preach upon topics like the disease to please and Rev 3 in my opinion which hits at the heart of the problem for God's people in the last days.

Quote:
What you really mean is that if YOUR truth is presented. What really will divide the church is if you teach Righteousness By Faith. OR ... If you try teaching 1 Cor. 13 ... that would do it every time. Jesus taught a lot of things. He taught things that even the legalists would love. But you have to accept the Bible as a whole. Teaching just part or pulling "snippets" here and "snippets" there ... then you will have trouble

No. I was talking of a principle that is well documented in the bible and history. Jesus said all who go and do and preach as he did will suffer persecution" EGW said start preaching the right message and the fires of persecution will arise once more. No persecution = we are not doing our job and have become timid and retiring at the prospect of controversy.

It's not about what I believe it's about what the church is doing as we near the cliff face.

Quote:
MM has stated that what is needed is MALE preaching...but he doesn't specifically state what that is...It is fustrating to me to hear this without knowing what it is....

I have told you. Bold fearless preaching. At this stage in my satelite church culture - I wouldn't give a rats about the topic as long as it was done with fervour and it made a few jump in their pews. Hell, I would even like to see a church split or two over it, if that is what it takes to get us off our asses and thinking about how we are dumbing down our message.

Evangelistically speaking this is my favourite passage and what I try to do in my own church. Remember though, this is about how to win people, but there is another work of reform to be done in our churches which targets sleepy SDA's.

Quote:
I would like to suggest that sometimes we are TOO anxious to get them TO CHURCH! That build up of friendship is most often a long, long job -- 12 months? 2 years? Just so long as it takes to cement a lasting friendship

Yeah, your right there Beryl, make sure they are really swinging towards God before we offer the invitation to church. In the past it has been disasterous has it not? We invited them too early and when they got there and saw for themselves the wussification of the church they fled and ran.