ClubAdventist is back!

Importance of Adventist Education

Dr. Shane

Quote:
I know home schooling works in many cases but not every parent is qualified to home school their children and many that are cannot afford to.

It is clear from this statement that you have never checked into homeschooling. That is alright, it isn't for everybody. I just didn't want anyone reading this thread to get the impression that homeschooling was expensive. I know some families that don't spend any money; also as long as you have at least average intelligence you can homeschool your kids. In fact, most of the parents that homeschool learn things that were never taught to them in school, but are learning them now because they are teaching their children.

Alright, I am off my soapbox on homeschooling. I just wanted to dispel a few myths.

Carolaa--I agree with you 100%.

I think we have reached an impasse on testing, therefore, I will not try and persuade you any further. No hard feelings.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Some families need both parents to work. Home schooling would mean the loss of one income and they cannot afford that. Many immigrant families have parents that cannot speak or read English and thus are not in a position to home school their children in the US. Some cannot everyone can afford it or is qualified to do it.

Even if one can afford homeschooling and is able to do it, I still think a good Adventist school has some advantages - especially with parental involvement. It is the village concept in raising a child that incorporates home, school and church into child rearing. Not everyone has a good church and a good church school in their area but for those that do I cannot imagine a better way to raise a child.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Some families need both parents to work. Home schooling would mean the loss of one income and they cannot afford that. Many immigrant families have parents that cannot speak or read English and thus are not in a position to home school their children in the US. Some cannot everyone can afford it or is qualified to do it.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

I stand by my original statement, that whatever environment you choose for your children to learn in, the parents have to be diligent about what their children are learning.

^^QFT!!

What does QFT mean?

I am a lurker but have been enjoying the insights of all the posters . However please explain what is meant by "Quoted For Truth" .

Thanks ......

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I'm sorry I ever did that! It is standard forum practice. It simply means I whole-heartedly agree with the quote I referenced.

I, too, agree that all parents should ever be abreast of the things their children are learning--whether it be in a public school, a Christian school, or a homeschool environment.

We determine what students need to learn, put it on the test and they learn it. It works. It is called testing. In my line of work, I am surrounded with educators. I know the drill. I also work for an international construction company and see what our foreign competitors are doing. I by no means live in a glass bubble. I know what is going on in the world. I know home schooling works in many cases but not every parent is qualified to home school their children and many that are cannot afford to. Apart from that, education and testing go hand and hand.

That's all fine, if that's what you think. But to say that test scores indicate the quality of a school is simply not accurate. There are many factors that indicate the quality of a school, and test scores are a very small part of the picture. It would be foolhardy to rely on those alone.

I would be curious what your position is on school uniforms.

Quote:
I would be curious what your position is on school uniforms.

I think this would be a great new thead and so I am going to start a new topic of school uniforms.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
test scores are a very small part of the picture.

As I mentioned before, a school can have high test scores and a high crime rate or be overly legalistic. Schools may also have high test scores and not have music or sports programs which are important to many families. So of course, there are various factors. High test scores do show there is learning going on in the classroom.

My big concern is that there are many Adventist children that want to attend Adventist schools and cannot either (1) because their families are too poor or (2) their parents don't have their priorities in order. Those are Real Issues in Adventism today.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity