ClubAdventist is back!

K. R. Davis

james423

• Moderators

Many of you may not have heard of K. R. Davis unless you were acquainted with the history of Southern Adventist University, but K.R. Davis was one of those people who were essential to running of an Adventist school - behind the scenes, willing to take on any job, and so forth.

This is the notice the alumni association sent to all of us alumni:

"Elder K.R. Davis, who devoted nearly 50 years of his life (1959-1966 and 1970-2007) to serving Southern Adventist University, passed away Wednesday, January 16.

"Affectionately known as “Mr. Southern,” K.R. wore many hats while at Southern including working as a dean, counselor, recruiter, and Student Association sponsor. For a time, he even stepped in as a professor, teaching religion classes and photography.

"In 1973, Southern’s Board of Trustees voted him a letter of commendation for “work beyond the call of duty,” including his “extra mile” carpentry in building the Student Park shelter, various sets for student talent programs, saunas for the residence halls, and many other projects.

"Though K.R. officially retired from Southern at the age of 65, he continued working in the role of assistant to the president until this past November, when at the age of 86 he was hospitalized with pneumonia.

“God has really blessed me,” he told a student reporter shortly before his hospitalization. “As long as I can work, I’m gonna’ work here.” This was a promise he faithfully kept.

"K.R. was predeceased by his wife, Jeanne, who served as executive secretary for three presidents at Southern. He is survived by daughters: Mariellen Davis, ’67, and Peggy Elkins, ’75, former faculty member and current Southern volunteer, along with grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and other family members.

"Family visitation was held Saturday, January 19 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. A private service was held for the family on Sunday, January 20, and a public celebration of his life service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, the family prefers donations to the KR Davis Scholarship Fund at Southern Adventist University, c/o Development Office, PO Box 370, Collegedale, TN 37315."

James Brenneman

Thank you James for posting the announcement of

KR's death. I thought that it was a wonderful

tribute when I received it too. He and Jeane

were two precious people in my life when I

was at Southern. They both are truly missed.

Carole