ClubAdventist is back!

Woodies Goodies

Woody

Today I want to share a few old Splinters from the Redwood tree.

You're not likely to have seen these splinters before. They are from an author who is not known for splinters. But just to demonstrate another side of Ellen White .... here we go:

"a lie will go around the world while truth is putting on his boots." Testimonies, vol. 1, p. 463

“Sisters when about their work should not put on clothing which would make them look like images to frighten the crows from the corn .” Testimonies, vol. 1, p. 464

Mrs. White knew how to handle potentially embarrassing public moments. Son Willie frequently assisted his mother in her speaking tours. During a Sabbath sermon in St. Helena, California, Willie sat on the platform while his mother spoke. Noticing a ripple of suppressed laughter in the audience, Mrs. White turned to find him taking a nap. She apologized with a touch of humor: “When Willie was a baby, I used to take him into the pulpit and let him sleep in a basket beneath the pulpit, and he has never gotten over the habit. Baker, op cit

If you would like to add a few splinters or snippets ... they are welcome here. No one will criticize you for them. At least I hope not. If we can't laugh with Ellen White ... then we deserve more than just splinters.

Note: Credit is due to my friend dAb for this idea material and names. Thanks you dAb.

Brought to you by Redwood ... a better tree for a new tomorrow.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Those were funny; I had read the one about her sleeping son before.

I don't have any to add--yet; but I will try and find her lighter side.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

I've been in correspondance with the White Estate trying hard to find humor. I've met with some success. And I will be sharing all that with you over time.

I thought it was cool that Ellen White allowed fighting in her home. Well ... that is a Redwood Snippet for sure ... the fighting was actually "Pillow Fighting".

Here is something they sent me from The Review Apr. '96

The family and workers sat down to a dinner (in Australia) that included cowpeas as one of the vegetables. After the blessing Sara EcEnterfer, Ellen White's personal assistant, offered her a dish of leafy greens from the garden, joking, "Mother, here is your horse feed" Glancing over the other food on the table, Mrs. White quickly responded, "I don't know that my horse feed is any worse than your cowpeas!".

I should also point out that I was told that Mrs. White probably never told a joke. At least she would probably not tell a joke as we know them ... but that she would tell ... quaint sayings, or proverbs.

Not sure if you would call this a joke , a snippet or sarcasm? What do you think?

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

... Mrs. White turned to find him taking a nap. She apologized with a touch of humor: “When Willie was a baby, I used to take him into the pulpit and let him sleep in a basket beneath the pulpit, and he has never gotten over the habit. Baker, op cit

I hate to be picky, Woodie, but "Baker, op cit" is a reference without an antecedent -- because op cit is an abbreviation for opus cited. In this case you have no Baker opus previously cited, so it leaves the reader without any information as to the source of the quotation.

No offense intended.

I still enjoyed reading about Willie White taking a nap on the platform....

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Whoops ... A Redwood blooper. I was just cutting and pasting from the White Estate.

Here is what was listed ....

D. E. Robinson to W. C. White, Sept. 30, 1906

Hope that helps ... SOME !!

But the story is also in the Review Apr. '96

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
In a letter to S. H. Lane, published in the Review of June 6, 187E(sic) James and Ellen White spoke of the condition of "Brother B" ...

In a wry twist they declared that some of the "sanctified" "have even reached the almost hopeless position that they cannot sin" and "have no further use for the Lord's Prayer, which teaches us to pray that our sins may be forgiven." .... The Whites then called anyone who cannot sin the "veriest Laodicean," ....

The wry twist was concluded with what amounted to a wonderful touch of ironic humor. The Whites' recommendation for Brother B was that he be "treated at the Sanitarium, at Battle Creek, for the improvement of his health."

- that was from the book Ellen White on Salvation, A Chronological Study by Woodrow W. Whidden II found at http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/wws/salv03.htm

The White 'humor' seems kinda sarcastic, and cruel, to me. A 'wry twist' Whidden calls it, rather than 'wry humor'. Then he uses the words "ironic humor." :( Stand-up comics still use this kind of humor. Don't they? Jay Leno? Roseanne Barr?

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Moderators

Whoops ... A Redwood blooper. I was just cutting and pasting from the White Estate.

Here is what was listed ....

D. E. Robinson to W. C. White, Sept. 30, 1906

Hope that helps ... SOME !!

But the story is also in the Review Apr. '96

Thanks, Woodie. That was great.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Here is a snippet that Ellen White said to Willie ...

Quote:
"Remember,your name is 'White'. You must always keep it that way."

Pure as the driven snow ...

Perhaps on the legalistic side ... but I can forgive her.

I believe in Hematology.

A few more Ellen White snippets :

Quote:
"There's a heaven to win, and a hell to shun."

"Children, we must learn to sing the songs of Zion here if we would join the angel choir yonder."

Brought to you by Woodies White Goodies ...

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
"There's a heaven to win, and a hell to shun."

Brought to you by Woodies White Goodies ...

Hey, Woodie....thanks...I remember this one...and I use it from time to time....with some modification...

....a heaven to gain and a hell to avoid...or something to that effect...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
The penny was given to the laborer in the vineyard, but not to the loiterer in the market place. {RH, July 19, 1887 par. 20}

I believe in Hematology.

"Ellen White’s oldest brother, John, apparently was a poor correspondent. In a January 21, 1873, letter to him, Ellen gently chided him with humor: “Dear Brother John: I have written you several letters but have not heard one word from you. We concluded you must be dead, but then again we thought if this was the case, your children would write us.” Glen Baker, “The Humor of Ellen White,” Adventist Review, April 30, 1987.

I believe in Hematology.