ClubAdventist is back!

Paul Harvey

Jon

Paul Harvey, well known for his radio news commentary, has occasionally referenced Ellen White and SDAs in his broadcasts. Does anyone know the rest of the story? Does Harvey have SDA connections?

That was my understanding also, that his wife is an SDA. Too bad he isn't, what a powerful witness he could be! What about Jr, who no doubt will fill dad's footsteps in a bit?

-Jason

Youtube.com/narcah

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Paul Harvey always speaks well of SDAs on the air. When George Vandeman died he gave a two- or three-sentence eulogy in his regular radio show, praising Vandeman highly.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

I'm definitely not the final word on this topic, but what I'd heard was that Paul's mother-in-law became an Adventist as an adult and that his wife was not or had never been an SDA.

Just another bit of flavor to throw into the hearsay soup. . .

LynnDel

LD

I have heard that Paul Harvey's church membership is at the big 1st Baptist Church in Dallas along with many other well known people.

A lady at our church who is the same age as Paul Harvey did say it was his mother-in-law who was an Adventist.

He is a great friend to Adventists and always gives us positive press.

Proverbs 15:15

He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.

• 1 month later...

I can tell you first hand that him and his wife would go into the ABC there. Not every week, but he was known there. I was friends with the manager there at that time.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• 3 weeks later...

About a week ago, he made mention on his news program of Ellen White. He was telling about a major recall of beef, then said (as close as I can remember), "150 years ago, an author named Ellen White wrote that at the time of the end, meat would become unsafe to eat" -- then he went on to the next story. "Page 3..."

He didn't mention SDA's on this occasion -- just the Ellen White quote.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Harvey is married to a girl from n Adventist family who lived in St. Louis, Missouri I dont know how many of them are alive but their name was Cooper and they had several girls and a boy in her family. One of the girls married Paul Harvey and although I do not think that Paul and his wife are members of our church now they are real believers of Sr. White and the church. It has been said that they visit and go to other churches for professional reasons but they used to visit St Louis often when her brother and sisters were alive. I have seen him at Central a few times. And maybe that is the rest of the story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This in from one of our fine lurkers... Thanks, BTW!!! -Gail

"This information was e-mailed to me by an interested, occasional reader:

I was "snooping" on CA this week for the first time in ages, and noticed the thread about "Paul Harvey / SDA connection" in the "Adventist Urban Legends" section.

I have for decades heard of Paul Harvey's SDA connection -- that his mother-in-law was an SDA, at least way back then. Nothing really definitive, however... mostly hearsay, as on this thread. I listened to his noon news broadcast for many years, and I did hear him say in one broadcast, that the one event that he wanted to cover, above all others, was the Second Coming of Christ!

So, in an attempt to find out more regarding his SDA connection, I did a search on Google, and among the hundreds of references, several of which were about his comments regarding SDAs and particularly EGW, I found the

quoted following from a Michigan newspaper.

-------------

"Paul Harvey Receives Reward

"Radio legend Paul Harvey, who has often quoted Adventist pioneer Ellen G. White in his broadcasts and who attends the Camelback Adventist Church in [Phoenix] Arizona during his winters there, received the Golden Microphone Award for his professionalism and graciousness in dealing with the church.

-- Used with permission from the South Flint [Michigan] Newsletter, November 2001."

-------------

That mention of the Camelback Adventist church led me to look at their website and enquire of the current pastor. His reply follows:

"Subject: Paul Harvey... SDA Connection??

"Dear _____

"Paul Harvey and his wife Angel do attend here on a pretty regular basis when he is in the valley. Neither of them are members here, but are friendly and supportive of the church. It is my understanding that his wife Angel has SDA relatives. Mr. Harvey's relationship to the Adventist church goes way back. He was personal friends with George Vandeman.

"The Harvey's usually arrive in Phoenix late in Nov. or in

Dec. They have been attending Camelback for over 10 years. During my time here they have usually come to our first service (9:00 - 10:00) They slip quietly in and leave the same way. We have respected their desire not to be treated with celebrity status. When Mr. Harvey is here [in Phoenix] he has a studio in his home and gets up very early to write his own news report which he then tapes from his home studio for broadcast throughout the day.

"We (my wife Dianne and me) have been in the Harvey's home. They are very gracious and wonderful people -- both committed Christians. We feel privileged to have them as part-time members of our church family. We hope they will continue to attend as we have now gone to a single service

starting at 10:50.

"Thanks for your inquiry -- hope this has been helpful.

"Sincerely, Pastor Charles White"

--------------

May Paul Harvey not cover the Second Coming on the radio, but observe it while ascending with the other saints!"

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

...And incidentally, Pastor Charles White is a wonderful pastor. Very well organized... gives wonderful sermons, and runs a totally organized worship service... is very cultured, dresses nicely but conservatively, and is well spoken... in addition to being totally mainstream SDA. He's a good pastor for someone like Paul Harvey.

I'm only slightly acquainted with him, from visiting his church in Paradise (CA) where he pastored many years before going to Phoenix. He conducted the baby dedication services for my two granddaughters, now aged 4 and 6. The Paradise church missed him terribly when he left.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

I just saw Paul Harvey on Larry King Live, last week or the week prior. Never knew what P.H. looked like before! He's a very handsome man.

I visited my sister in Scottsdale AZ a few months ago and learned Paul Harvey attends the (Camelback) SDA church there when he's in town. They don't make a fuss over him; he likes it that way.

========

P.S. Now I see I've already posted about Pastor Charles White earlier on this thread. He's the one who told me about P.H. when I was visiting in Scottsdale at my sister's.