ClubAdventist is back!

No more God Bless America?

Quote:
Only thing is I expect Obama will pick someone else as his VP. He could pick Richardson, the New Mexico governor who endorsed him today. I do think Hillary would pick Obama as her VP, though.

I agree. Hillary has gotten too nasty with Obama. There is bad blood there. Despite that, Hillary will choose Obama, if he will have accept, because the only way she can get the nomination is to steal it from him. That, I think would be a done deal agreed on by the superdelegates before the nomination is decided. Hillary's negatives are too high for Obama to consider her.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Woody

• Dr. Shane

• jasd

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew or heard of Jeremy Wright before the recent controversy rose up. However, when they showed video of him I recognized his face. I knew that he was a prominent name in the black community, probably a preacher.

I see where he is speaking here in Houston at the historic Wheeler Avenue Baptist church. I'm told he has spoken there before in years past. Will I be making an effort to go here him speak? No, that's a waste of time, imo.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Re: the Presidential campaigns.

Having previously stated that I, as Ann Coulter, would vote for MsClinton, Democrat, rather than McCain -- I am, after having, again, been exposed to the soul of the Democrat [Marxist/Leninist-Bolshevist/Stalinist] Party – reconsider and will definitely vote Republican, that is, McCain. I say,

give him a bucketful of red buttons, if necessary, to keep him happy and let

slip the hounds.

>>...because the only way she can get the nomination is to steal it from him.<<

The Party has sufficient flexibility to award the nomination to MsClinton – despite the popular vote or the number(s) of delegates one or the other may claim. The clinker would be

if the Party awards the nomination to MsClinton, will that generate riots throughout America?

Should the polls indicate that the usually deciding bloc – that is, the white male vote – be surging for McCain, it would be incumbent upon the Party to run MsClinton. It remains to be seen if

the Party has the testaments to risk riots in America’s cities.

• Moderators

By the way, I am not saying that we should not pay attention to, or read, or listen to, or even befriend, people like Jeremiah Wright. My position with regard to what Obama did, is that Obama made it appear that he agrees with, and supports, Wright. That is the problem.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

If she were the candidate, she would be in a world of hurt, because blacks will not forgive her for "stealing" the nomination from Obama. It will be said that the white man stole it again. The Democratic party will want to think long and hard about whether they want to see this happen. They could drive many blacks into voting for McCain just in order to defeat her. I doubt it will come to this, though.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

There are plenty of voters in black community that support Hillary Clinton. Obama is still considered a relative newcomer.

Jeremy wright is a Clinton supporter; at least that's how it sounded on the recordings of some of his sermons I heard the other night. He said some nasty things about Obama, said that the black community owes the Clintons an apology. I was astonished. Apparently the relation between Obama and Wright is not as cozy as the media paints it

Frederick Douglass

The Democrat candidate has been getting 90% of the black vote for a very long time. That is not likely to happen if Clinton steals the nomination from Obama.

Black people are not likely to riot if Obama is not nominated, or elected. that is the point I am stressing.

Frederick Douglass

Quote:
Obama's Bible Defense of Same-Sex Unions Wrong, Experts Say

By Penny Starr

CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer

March 05, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - In a stump speech at Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio, on Sunday, Sen. Barack Obama said his support for same-sex unions is rooted in the New Testament's Sermon on the Mount, as reported by Cybercast News Service.

But theologians and other experts don't agree on what Obama's biblical reference meant.

"If he's finding support for same-sex marriage from the Sermon on the Mount, he's reading a different Bible than I've ever read," Tom Minnery, senior vice president of government and public policy with the Christian Focus on the Family, told Cybercast News Service.

"I think Obama needs to grapple with the words of Jesus on the meaning of marriage," Minnery said.

"Hasn't he ever read Matthew 19:4 that the creator made the male and female? In other words, you cannot believe what Jesus said in Matthew and that Jesus endorsed same-sex marriage. It's inconsistent," Minnery said.

Rev. Jesse Peterson, founder and president of the Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny (BOND), told Cybercast News Service that it may be more a case of politics than theology that inspired Obama's comments.

"When I first heard Obama comment on the Sermon on the Mount and homosexuality I couldn't grasp any relationship between the two," Peterson said.

"There is no correlation at all. The Sermon on the Mount is for the saints, and it explains their suffering and their reward as a result of suffering for what is right for Christ's sake. It doesn't give blessings or approval to homosexual unions," he said.

"I think maybe Senator Obama came up with the wrong passage," Peterson said. "Unless he is just trying to deceive the people. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he could be so desperate to win he'll just say anything."

But Tony Campolo - professor emeritus at Eastern University in Pennsylvania, ordained minister, spiritual adviser to Bill Clinton, and founder of the liberal Christian group, Evangelical Association for the Promotion of Education - told Cybercast News Service that he thinks Obama's reference to the Sermon on the Mount was meant to highlight the core message of the Christian faith.

"He's saying, very carefully, that I personally believe that gay marriage is contrary to the teaching of Scripture," said Campolo. "He's very clear about that.

"He takes Paul (Romans 1:27) seriously, but he is saying 'in my own ideology,' Jesus is speaking to the needs of the poor, standing up against violence, opposing war, standing up against capital punishment. These are values that are pervasive in the Sermon on the Mount and in my politics, this is what I want to emphasize," he said.

Minnery said he is familiar with Campolo and his Red Letter Christians, who put more stock in Christ's teaching than the other teachings in the Bible, but biblical interpretation can only go so far, he said.

"I think (Obama) is taking one aspect of the Christian faith and going to ridiculous ends with it," Minnery said. "Plainly, Jesus evoked one man and one woman as the meaning of marriage, and Tony Campolo and Barack Obama are trying to have it both ways.

"For example, Barack Obama says he's for traditional marriage and yet he stands against the very thing that will preserve it, which is the Defense of Marriage Act," said Minnery.

Kiera McCaffrey, director of communications for the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said it is a mistake for Obama to look to the Bible as a playbook for his political aspirations.

"It seems pretty bogus using (the Bible) to justify civil unions," McCaffrey told Cybercast News Service. "He should be using secular reasons to back it up.

"He can search the whole Bible and not find anything that justifies gay marriage or same-sex unions," she said.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Hillary Clinton supports same sex marriage also. It would be very hard to run for the presidency as a Democrat and not support gay marriage.

Frederick Douglass

Quote:

I can't understand why it matters since we're all saved in our sins anyway.

Is your saved status all you can think of? Isn't there anything more important than your saved status? IS this a preoccupation with ones legal standing?

Glorifying Him ....

I believe in Hematology.

olger notices that Redwood is trying to get his attention and says "I must have struck a nerve."

Howdy..

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Nice way to back out ....

thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

It's obvious to me that Obama needs to study the New Testament more closely. I tend to think that Wright probably agrees with Obama on this. Does anyone know for sure about this?

I read Obama's official website and this is the same view that I found there. So, whatever else Obama is, he does not appear to me to be a good Bible student. I realize, however, that there are differences of opinion on this.

• Moderators

Hillary Clinton supports same sex marriage also. It would be very hard to run for the presidency as a Democrat and not support gay marriage.

This is very true. The Democratic party has also made it hard for someone who is pro-life to run as a Democrat.

Personally, I believe that gays should have the same civil and political rights as anyone else, but I don't believe that the state or federal government ought to make laws that recognize the union between two men or two women as "marriage."

• Moderators

The Republican party got most black votes until 1932, when most started voting for Franklin Roosevelt because of his New Deal programs to help the poor and unemployed. They've stuck with the Democrats since then.

Many democratic administrations have just taken the black vote for granted and have done very little to fulfill their campaign promises to blacks. For instance, I don't see what Bill Clinton did to help the blacks during his administration.

Name a recent President, or presidential candidate that was or is a good bible student? Like the majority of the citizens of this country who call themselves christian they take things out of context, emphasize verses that they like, overlook the ones they don't like, so forth & so on. Christianity has been playing a perfunctory role in american politics for a long time. That's one of the reasons why there are certain dire prophecies about this country in Revelation 13.

Speaking of such, putting the proverbial show on the other foot, what if Obama or some other candidate was SDA, and was involved in a very hot and contested campaign, and someone from the national media heard an sda pastor preach about the 2 horned beast of revelation 13, that started speaking like a dragon in the latter days? Or better yet, one of the major issues in a political race is 'what do we do with that sect of people who won't conform and preach against us? Interesting scenario.

DB

Frederick Douglass

Even though the New Deal destroyed the black family...? More like the "Raw Deal."

That Campolo agrees with Obama theologically on this issue is not surprising. His wife is a zealous supporter of Unnatural (homosexual) marriage.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Quote:
Name a recent President, or presidential candidate that was or is a good bible student?

George W. Bush participates in a Bible study every day in the White House with staffers. Members of the media report it is common to see staffers walking in the halls with a Bible after such meetings. Not sure the last President that did that before this one.

You can go to bible study and still not know what you're looking at. That's why 98% of christians go to church on Sunday.

Frederick Douglass

• Moderators

... what if Obama or some other candidate was SDA, and was involved in a very hot and contested campaign, and someone from the national media heard an sda pastor preach about the 2 horned beast of revelation 13, that started speaking like a dragon in the latter days?... DB

I think that would be great IF it would help spread the truth about the Bible's end-time prophecies. There are SDAs in politics who do believe in those prophecies. Jerry Pettis, a US Congressman from California in the 60s and 70s, used to preach those doctrines as an evangelist, but in those days the national media didn't even mention it. I'm sure there are SDAs in congress and serving at various levels of state and local government who believe them today and go to a church that believes and teaches these things.

But to believe what the Bible and Ellen White say regarding the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation is far different from believing what Wright was preaching.