ClubAdventist is back!

Kick 'em Out ??

Woody

You can have all the standards you want. But, they will be yours. And people will not uphold YOUR high and mighty standards. So, like the Jews ... are you going to impose your lofty standards? What punishments are you willing to dish out to maintain your idea of purity?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Perhaps if you have issues Stan ... you could send a PM.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I just read quite a bit about the Amish online. I have a daughter and son who lived for a time among the Amish in Kentucky. While there, they had no car or electricity, and so I had to call someone living about five miles from them and leave a message for them to call me. Interesting denomination. I've read some of the writings of Menno Simons, an Anabaptist who had an influence on the Amish.

I like this quote from him:

"The regenerated do not go to war, nor engage in strife. They are children of peace who have 'beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning forks, and know no war' (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3). ... Our weapons are not weapons with which cities and countries may be destroyed, walls and gates broken down, and human blood shed in torrents like water. But they are weapons with which the spiritual kingdom of the devil is destroyed. ... Christ is our fortress; patience our weapon of defense; the Word of God our sword. ... Iron and metal spears and swords we leave to those who, alas, regard human blood and swine’s blood of well-nigh equal value."

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Hi Stan. To my knowledge I have never done this, and I'm not about to start.

It sounds like you & I both have an aversion to complaining.

As to the Amish, Menno-Simons was a decent fellow.

gcw

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Strange that we have a "notify" button for things such as slander. Perhaps that button should now be removed.

I believe in Hematology.

Do you view the Bible as "normative"? What about the instructions of the Bible and of Ellen White on these matters? Would you have the church disregard them? Or how do you think we should apply them, if at all?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: John317
Do you view the Bible as "normative"? What about the instructions of the Bible and of Ellen White on these matters? Would you have the church disregard them? Or how do you think we should apply them, if at all?

"Normative"? Which definition are you using?

–adjective 1. of or pertaining to a norm, esp. an assumed norm regarded as the standard of correctness in behavior, speech, writing, etc.

2. tending or attempting to establish such a norm, esp. by the prescription of rules: normative grammar.

3. reflecting the assumption of such a norm or favoring its establishment: a normative attitude.

The only standard is not really a standard..."Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." It's an admission. After that, it's a growth in that admission. Some grow to accept the Sabbath, some don't...It's really not my concern, but rather the Gardner...Take it up with Him....

I do believe that there is room for organization, and for the removal of one who refuses to believe that Christ died for our sins... However, those who want to dictate what one eats, or wears, or how to behave....well, let's just say that I am a bit of an anti-authoritarian....You ain't gonna dictate to me what God has given me to choose. And while I may run afowl with a few people, I am not gonna let EGW dictate to me what she wants me to wear, eat, or behave. I did that once, and I live a most miserable life. No, what I do now is mature and grow in God's grace...and I do my best to drink it all in and quite honestly endevor to get drunk on God's grace...And unless you have had that experience, I don't think I could tell you much that would make sense to you...But I can tell you this....It is the Holy Spirit that does the controling, and helps with the growing and helps with the learning...And you don't need Church standards for that....

Quote:
Also, isn't there a difference between being a member and being a non-member who is able to worship, pray and study with the congregation? What's the standard for being a member in your judgment? Should membership be open to anyone without regard to any standards except for the individual's request to be a member?

Any non-member of the SDA church is a person for the church to witness to. It's that simple. And member of the SDA church can learn from other members in the concept of "growing in the Lord". I can not tell you what it means to learn from the school of Christ, nor can I tell you exactly what it means. What I can tell you is that you are learning about life. Something that is satisfying and scary and fulfilling and can only be aquired by fellowshiping with other members of the church.....

Great Post Neil. It is so true. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. Beyond that ... it is all about personal growth. HOW TRUE.

And we are to study to show ourselves approved unto God. WE are to study and interpret. It is not up to the church to study and interpret. We must do that individually with the Holy Spirit in us. To rely on the fundamentals is pure laziness.

Our creed should be ... Believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and ye shall be saved. Good one. Huh. We can all unite behind that. And all the rest is gravy and will be different per individual. But all should be welcome in our church without barriers of belief differences. Why present barriers.

I believe in Hematology.