ClubAdventist is back!

Clifton Davis

Clifton Davis of numerous movies and late 70s early 80s TV sitcoms most recently the movie Kingdom Come and the TV Show AMEN and Starred in the TV series "That's My Mama" is an Adventist Pastor[still practicing in Calif.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.getmusic.com/artists/amg/Artist/254/2254.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.getmusic.com/artists/amg/Artist/254/2254.html</A> <P>------------------<BR>Psalms 34:7-9<BR>The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.<BR>O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.<BR>O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. [Come join <A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite</A> {Uniting Seventh-day Adventist Worldwide}]

The article you gave the URL for does not say that Clifton Davis is still SDA, or a pastor. It only says that he <B>was</B> a pastor while he was acting in "Amen." I heard several years ago that he had left the church, discouraged by severe criticism he was receiving from legalistic church members for continuing his acting career after becoming a minister.

I know the article does not say any of that, I posted the Link so you would know who he is. Yes he is still a pastor he just left Oakwood no more than 2 to 3 years ago finishing another degree and he is back in California.<P>He is newly married, and still a pastor unless within the last year he has turned his ordainship in.<P>------------------<BR>Psalms 34:7-9<BR> The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.<BR> O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.<BR> O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. [Come join<BR> <A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite</A> {Uniting Seventh-day Adventist Worldwide}]

Last year he was photographed along with other members of the "Faith For Today" team advertizement in our Canadian Union church paper.<P>Unfortunately we don't get the Faith for Today program in my part of Canada to see if he's a new presenter. The closest network to Southwestern Ontario that Faith For Today is on is the "Catholic Channel" that is on Detroit cable.<P>Last month I saw him selling a "praise" CD on the Black Entertainment Network channel.<P>By the way, I went to the Seminary at Andrews when he was there, but I don't use any "Clifton Davis stories" from my pulpit.<P>I also was in the same dormitory (Burman Hall) with George Speight, the fellow who was involved with the recent coup in Fiji.<P>Interesting place, that Andrews... <P>------------------<BR>Be glad in all that God has planned for you, be patient in trouble and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 <I>NLT</I>

God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewM:<BR><B>Interesting place, that Andrews... <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You got that right...so I have heard between Oakwood and Andrews whewwwwwwwww they really know the meaning of "If these walls could talk"....LOL!!!<P>------------------<BR>Psalms 34:7-9<BR> The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.<BR> O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.<BR> O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. [Come join<BR> <A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sdasunite</A> {Uniting Seventh-day Adventist Worldwide}]

The walls at Andrews could not only talk, they could sing.<P>In Burman Hall the washrooms have a perfect echo for acappela boy groups to practice. I heard 'em hone their craft many a time while I'd wash my face. I wonder if any of those groups "made it big?"<P>By the way, Clifton Davis tended to be more of a "performer" than an actor. His musical concerts tended to be more prominent in his Andrews days than acting gigs.<P>------------------<BR>Be glad in all that God has planned for you, be patient in trouble and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 <I>NLT</I>

God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

• Moderators

If this thread is introducing various names, did you know that Russell Crowe, the recent Oscar winner, did some work fot the Adventist Media Centre here in his younger days - and stayed in the home of one of their personnel while he did it. There was a report and a picture of a much younger Russell in the recent "Record".

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Clifton Davis is presently onstage at the Pasadena (Calif.) Playhouse, costarring with Phylicia Rashad and Diahann Carroll in "Blue," a drama with music. The story spans 15 years in the lives of the Clarks, a small-town funeral director and his family. This is a new play, I think, and it's premiering in Pasadena.

I got this info from an advertising brochure received in the mail from Pasadena Playhouse, as well as from reading the review of opening night in the newspaper. I haven't seen the play but the review says there's no bad language, no nudity, no violence.

I'll probably try to see the play before it ends its run, though because of other commitments I may not be able to work it in. I certainly don't fault Clifton Davis for anything on the basis of anything I've heard thus far.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• 4 weeks later...

Clifton Davis preached at our church year before last, or was it last year. He brought a good sermon. I think one of the elders went to Oakwood with him.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• 1 month later...

[:"green"] Actors are professional liars. [/]

I am tempted to reply "so are pastors". The SDA church does not allow its pastors are great deal of freedom in what they say in the pulpit, so pastors very often find themselves publically backing a party-line that they privately disagree with...

[] diet

[] jewelry

[] usage of EGW quotations

[] the Union level of church organization

[] and many other areas

As a low-level manager at a large company, I can assure you that all leaders find themselves in this position - to a certain extent, I too am a professional liar. I am not free to express my disagreement with some things that I am required to make happen. As I get older, I realize that my opinion/assessment is not always right - and that sometimes it is a good thing that I keep quiet and follow those that know better.

/Bevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Clifton Davis was the emcee (I think) on the SDA Christmas TV special this year. I read about this in the Adventist Review (perhaps it was in the online edition). Unfortunately I didn't catch the show when (if) it aired in our area.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• 7 months later...

Certain Adventists tend to be "weird" toward those who have high-profile careers. On one hand, they like to talk about how they themselves would never want to have a high-profile job like Clifton, or a politician, or a lawyer. And they often say, "It's impossible to be an Adventist and an actor, lawyer, tv news person, sports person, etc." and discourage other peoples' kids from getting involved.

BUT THEN! As soon as an Adventist takes a job like this, they're all over them, wanting them to come to all kinds of appearances and they make a fuss over how great it is that "this person stands for Christ in X arena." And they ask all kinds of questions about the famous person this person knows. Then they go home and gossip about the person's inconsistencies and talk about how they really would never want to be famous, rich, etc.

It's SOUR GRAPES and they're JEALOUS!

I wish more Adventist kids encouraged their kids to do these kinds of jobs.

Larry