• phkrause

• Cosmin M.

• Jeannieb43

• Administrators

I'm currently reading

Daniel by Kenneth Cox

and

Peter - Fisher of Men by Noni Beth Gibbs

Cool! Let me know what you think of them :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You might try: DINNER WITH A PERFECT STRANGER by David Gregory.

In brief: Nick Cominsky has nothing to do with the Chruch/religion. One day he gets a formal invitaion in the mail to have dinner at a restaurant with Jesus Christ. He goes and the book is their meal-time conversation.

Gregory

I just finished reading "Here's the Story" by Maureen McCormick.

She was Marcia Brady in the Brady Bunch. The Lord touched her and changed her life. I had to write to her as I feel like I grew up with her. Please keep her in your prayers. My prayer is that Jesus will continue to lead her to truth. She can be such a witness to many that could not be reached any other way. Hollywood is truly a mission field that could be impacted with God's message by those who have lived there.

No matter what treasures a person has here..... Jesus has more!

Luke 10:17-20 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

BEEKIND (for He is kind!)

• Moderators

While it is not easy reading, a must read classic is "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was martyred by the Nazis. Bonhoeffer and the Nazis are a type of the coming antitype of the Remanant against the 7th head. Bonhoeffer's book is preperation if you want to be in the Remanant.

• Moderators

Some other books I'd like to recommend include

"The Prophets" by Abraham Joshua Heshel (as well as anything else by him. Maybe start with his short but powerful book "The Sabbath" But "The Prophets" is a must read.) Rabbi Heshel was one of the most Biblically based and Christ centered preachers of the 20th century (being Orthodox Jewish he comes from a Jewish perspective, but when you read his words you can't help but see Jesus. He does not just show you Jesus from a distance, but his words slams Jesus into you as if you were hit in the head with a baseball bat, you have no doubt when done that you have encountered Jesus)

"The Great Divorce" by C. S. Lewis: It shows charistics that we have that prepares us for hell instead of heaven. It may point out what you are doing to prepare for hell so that you can change.

Then again there are the three most important books to really make the Bible come alive: John Bright's History of Israel, Aharoni's "The land of the Bible" and "The MacMillian Bible Atlas" After reading these books you could teach a college level introduciton to the Bible.

Another classic and which can help to understand the year-day principle and prophecy and the Investigative Judgment is "Before Philosophy" by Henri Frankfort and others (sadly out of print but we can find in some of the used book places. Too bad the church does not get the publishing rights and republish this treasure instead of wasting money on sticky sweet fluff.)

Some easy reading books to deepen Bible knowlege include:

Bork "The World of Moses" and "Out of the Cities and Across the plains" (or something like that). Wade "Journey to Moriah" VanDolson "Prophets are people too" and Herr's little book on the 23rd Psalm (One thing to add to Herr's book, and he almost says this, and gets so close to saying this that I would not be surprised if he did actually write this but the printer missed it, is that the statement "Thou preparest a table before me in the pressence of my enemy" means that God brings about forgiveness and reconcilliation with my enemy.

Sadly some of the books, like Van Dolson's and maybe Bork's are out of print but you should get them from leaves of autum or something similar.

I'm reading "The China Study," and have already started to change my eating habits. It is written by T. Colin Campbell, and discusses, in a layman's terms, a very large study of eating habits

and their relation to diseases, including diabetes and cancer. It also talks about how Americans' view of what is healthful is paid for by large corporations that have a financial stake in what Americans eat.

• Moderators

I have been reading Those Happy Golden Years by Miriam Wood, telling of how the evangelists - who were often interns - were expected to survive in the 30s and 40s. Often conditions could only be described as brutal, sleeping in a tent behind the evangelistic tent and having to go the best part of a block for bathroom facilities or even water. Much more along the same lines, very much sink or swim or survival of the fittest.

Such would not be tolerated or permitted these days. But were they closer to God than us who live in much more comfortable conditions?

Just an aside regarding Nans question. My parents sold SDA books in Northern AZ in the late

30's. They worked with another couple and lived in tents which they pitched in the area they were selling in. They often had only $.50 to their name and told of counting out raisens, baking

bread made of flour and water over the campfire and eating beans day after day.

They became lifelong friends with those they worked with, often saw Gods miracles happen in their lives, and had many good laughs about those times. They felt closer to God in those days then they did later when life was more "stable" and they didnt feel such a need to depend on God on a minute by minute basis. They lived their whole lives as church workers, but were never sorry for those years. In a way I feel that we who have so much much materially are the least fortunate. My father passed away in Oct. at the age of 93.

John 3: 16: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

• Moderators

[off topic a little bit...]

That's a wonderful story!

Are you by any chance related to the Elder Nightingale who was president of the Florida Conference several years ago?? It seems that would have been the right age [93 about now].

(If so, would you please PM me.)

backtopic

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

Yes I am reading P and P now too, as part of my morning devotionals, reading about David before he was crowned king. A lot of lessons there for us.

I'm not quite there...am switching back and forth between the Bible and the P and P. I'm really reading the Bible and supplementing it with P and P. Im on chapter 43.....but I cried my eyes out when reading about Aaron dying. How Moses and he hiked up the mountain knowing that only Moses would be returning..and these were their last moments together. sob **

Not sure why but I wasn't nearly as touched by Moses' death...maybe because I knew he was raised and is now in heaven (?)

James 4:7-8

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading the Bible through for the 4th year in a row. I use a different format each year.

Also currently reading Hidden Heresy? by Thomas Mostert.(Pacific Press)

In the light of our Ministers seeking out the 'how to' in growing churches, the congregations need this information to be better informed of the forces working behind the scenes to bring down God's remnant church.

Also picked up a set of 4 books by Selwyn Hughes called Bible Classics.

The Divine Gardener

The 23rd Psalm

Divine Love

Divine Attitudes

Excellent christian writer of 35 years, and books are beautifully illustrated.

Morepork

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I love this thread! Good to see Morepork and cordelil and Anjelajo I hope to see more of your book reviews!

Selwyn Hughes- I'm familiar with this author somewhat. Gift books is my first thought; books with wisdom suitable to sending a friend on a special occasion.

Right now I'm previewing a book which states the importance of memorizing Scripture. I've always been interested in memorization methods, so I'm curious to discover what it will be in this case.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I have just finished reading "AMISH GRACE" the story of the Amish and the schoolhouse shooting. It gives lots of details on the shooting and the people involved but it is more of a look at the topic of forgiveness and what it means to have a forgiving spirit. As a Pastor I was forced to my knees, on more then one occasion because of the issues that it raised for me personally and for us as a Church. I highly recommend it to anyone. It is an easy read but be forewarned the issues it raises are challenging.

• Administrators

Wow- thanks for sharing that, Pastor John! I remember once going online and reading various accounts of the event.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Just finished, "Mountains of Spices" by Hannah Hurnard.

This is the sequel to, "Hinds Feet on High Places," an allegory about Much-Afraid's journey from fearful living to the High Places.

Mountains of Spices combines the different spices found in the Song of Solomon with character virtues. It focuses on the changes that Jesus brings to people when they come to Him, taking their weak character points and changing them to their exact opposites.

Interesting concept, but a sweet story.

Hello, Gail,

Hinds' Feet on High Places is one of my all-time favorites, and I've read it multiple times. I also enjoyed Mountains of Spices as well.

Come to think of it, it may be time for another "read."

LAS :)

LAS :)

• Members

I've also read Hinds' feet on High Places, it was awesome. I've also read it a few times, and like you say its probably time to read it again.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
A Short History of Nearly Everything' (about science) - both recommended.

I also recommend this book. You could say it is about science, but that is behind every branch of living.