ClubAdventist is back!

Whatcha readin?

Gail

I hope it's not my only book. *checks bookshelves*

Nope. I have a TON of books.

And that is probably a literal measurement.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gail

• phkrause

• Cosmin M.

• Jeannieb43

1838 edition : Evidence from the scriptures and history of the second coming of Christ about the year 1843 :

exhibited in a course of lectures by William Miller

comeout ofher mypeople Rev18:4

1. The Sunflower by Simon Wiesenthal

anybody read this one and what did you think?

2. Between Hell & High Water - Survival stories from

Hurricane Katrina (truly what nightmares are made

of; think it may be easier to just drown quickly)

3. Prayer by EGW

4. Chicken Soup for the Volunteer's Soul

• Administrators

Liz or Gail, briefly what is "Dare to Stand Alone" about?

My boss enjoys war stories and this is one. Here is the description given on adventistbookcenter.com:

Quote:
“Sir, when the regulations of my country clash with the laws of my God, I must obey my God,” Ivan declared.

The general studied Ivan’s face seriously. “Does that include the regulations of your army?”

Religion was suppressed. Christians were forced to practice their faith secretly. Yet one teenage boy found the courage to stand up and speak boldly about his God. Not just to his friends or in a private church meeting—but on a military base. In front of nearly 3,000 enlisted men . . . and one colonel.

Foolish? Maybe. Risky? Definitely. But Ivan Gumenyuk had determined to follow God’s calling, and right then God was calling him to be a missionary in the Soviet army. Like Daniel of old, Ivan faced trials that tested his faith to the limits. And, like Daniel, Ivan accomplished incredible things for God.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Re reading Patriots and Prophets. Thinking about making another attempt to read all of "keys of the blood.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Joyce Meyer's books on the "how to's" are quite helpful. She shows how pragmatic the gospel really is and how it changes our lives. Right now,"Making Good Habits, Breaking Bad Habits' is on my agenda. "What's so Amazing About Grace", by Phil Yancey is a great read and a wonderful, wonderful concept of what Christ has done for us and the difference between religion and a real walk with God. Also, another informative book is "How God Changes Your Brain" by Andrew Newberg, M.D> and Mark Robert Waldman and my favorite read is the Book of Hebrews, where the writer is plain on how Jesus returned to the "right hand of God" after His victory for us on the cross. That changed my life. May God Bless

• Administrators

Anybody read "The Sunflower" by Simon Wisenthal and what did you think about it?

No, but I have Prayer by EGW and it is outstanding.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

1838 edition : Evidence from the scriptures and history of the second coming of Christ about the year 1843 :

exhibited in a course of lectures by William Miller

And even our text more than implies that we shall not realize any great or glorious result from our hope, or " collectively in a body the church will not receive any , important deliverance until the “glorious appearing of \ the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ.” Is this " true? I say the passages of Scripture already named fix it beyond a‘doubt. And any one who will exam- ine the scripture for himself, will find that the second coming of Christ is the point to which Jesus Christ, the prophets, and the apostles directed their disciples, as the termination of their trials, persecutions, and afflictionss ; and Jesus Christ says, “in the world ye shall have tribulations.” I say I can find nothing in the word of God to warrant me to believe that we ought to ' look for or expect a happier period than we now enjoy, until he who has promised to come ‘shall come the se cond time without sin unto salvation, and cleanse us, the world, and make all things new. These things are a-‘' bundantly proved in the unerring word of God. And" now, Christians, if these things are so, what‘manner of’ persons ought we to be in all holy conversation and god‘ liness,looking for and basting unto the day of God,“ look/ ing for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ” ? Then let our conversation be in heaven‘ from whence we expect our Savior, and stir up each other’s pure minds by Way of remembrance of these things ;' for the time of the promise draweth nigh, when he will come and receive us to‘ himself, that we ma ' be with him. How necessary, my brethren, we shoul examine the word of God diligently; see if it does not give some indications, some signs, by which we may know the “ Son of Man is near, even at the door,” and our ‘‘’ blessed hope ” is about to be reallized in the glorious appearing ot" the great God‘and'our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ.” If he comes and finds us, or some ofus, in this lukewarm state, hardly having looked into‘ his word, and, making our want of talent an excuse, have neglected to trim our lamps, and have been very s are in holy conversation, and are crying peace and sa ety when sudden destruc- tion cometh, and perhaps have sneeringl mocked and laughingly ridiculed the idea of Christ eing near at. the door, and perha s have joined theinfidel and unbe liever in their unholy' remarks on this subject, and al though we hear the midnight cry, “ Behold, the bride groom cometh,” yet we treat it with neglect or disdain, or some of us, perhaps, with re reproach-—I ask, if‘ the Lord of‘ such servents come an find us so doing, what will‘ he do with us? He will come in an'hour that we think not, and cut us off‘, and appoint our portion among hypocrites and unbeliever, where shall .be weeping, and gnashing ofteeth‘ 'IBut we will suppose that he will not come in so short a time as your speaker believes ; still what do I ‘ask of 'you brethren? Nothing but what Jesus Christ and the apostles required I8oOyears ago. I ask you to compare these views with the Bible_ is this wrong? No; 1 ask' you for holy conversation, ls this wrong? No. l ask'you for heavenly-minded-_ ness. Is this wrong? No, no. I ask you to stir up each other’s pure minds, to make improvement on your one talent if no more; to come out of this cold and luke warm state ; trim your lamps and. be ready, Are these requirements wrong ?. Certainly not: no, no. I ask you again to compare scripture with scripture ; to read .the prophets ,- to stop your revilings; to take warning by the old world; to flee sin and the ,wrath which is to come ; to hide yourselves in Christ, until the indigna tion be over and past; to look “for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savoir Jesus Christ.” Is this wrong? Then he the wrong on my head.

comeout ofher mypeople Rev18:4