ClubAdventist is back!

For Shane- swift-boating

How much did Laura Bush, Cindy McCain's convention outfits cost?

One of the persistent criticisms of Democrat Barack Obama is that the senator is an elitist.

But Republicans represent the working people.

So how to explain Republican first lady Laura Bush and Republican would-be first lady Cindy McCain’s outfits Tuesday night?

Vanity Fair wisely had its fashion department price it out. And it's a doozy!

cindymccainlaurabush.jpg

Laura Bush's ensemble

Oscar de la Renta suit: $2,500

Stuart Weitzman heels: $325

Pearl stud earrings: $600–$1,500

Total: Between $3,425 and $4,325

Cindy McCain's wardrobe

Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000

Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500

Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000

Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000–$25,000

Shoes, designer unknown: $600

Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100.

That seems a bit elitist to me! How about you?

Photo: Getty Images

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Sarah Palin: Politics of fashion

By Elizabeth Snead, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Gov. Sarah Palin’s no-nonsense style was the surprise hit of the Republican Convention. She had a fresh air about her next to First Lady Laura Bush and Cindy McCain in their Oscar de la Renta suits, Chanel watches and Stuart Weitzman heels.42171694.jpg

Palin's look is definitely "take-me-seriously," with pulled-back secretarial hair, neutral (but not muted) makeup and rimless glasses. Palin updated her eyewear in December, forgoing her “schoolmarm” dark frames for new titanium rimless glasses that seem to open up her face and make her eyes look brighter.

Okay, so a Boston hairdresser has called her hairstyle “20 years out of date.” Miss Wasilla 1984 prefers figure flattering cropped jackets with nipped waists, worn over slim skirts that show off her running legs. The big question is how she will update her look, as the election draws near and a possible formal inaugural looms? Will she lighten up the dark eyeshadow and too-obvious lip liner?

It’s probably not advisable. Trend forecaster Tom Julian, official fashion voice for the Oscar.com for over a decade, doesn’t think Palin should frouff up drastically. “A complete head-to-toe makeover might make her look more acceptable for the fashion magazines," Julian explains. "But it would also cause voters to doubt her authentic loner image.”

“And she should definitely not take her fashion cues from Cindy McCain who is a totally couture, 7th avenue fashion plate,” adds Julian. “Perhaps a line like American designer Ralph Lauren would answer all Gov. Palin’s needs.“

What could be more all-American than Ralph Lauren? Only Wal-Mart.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I suppose one could forgive Laura for her choice of Weitzman heels (inexpensive) - as she might have chosen a Manolo Blahnik (verah pricey!) instead. Per the Oscar de la Renta suit and dress - one can, once again, be thankful for their off the rack thrift - as they might have, instead, worn originals: at a cost per - in the tens of thousand$. Anyway, it ought to please the ho polloi

that our First Lady can afford to look so easy on the eye. And Cindy, well, superlatives fail.

To be fair, Michelle's kinda cool, also.

And, a nice fillip would be that Cindy wore her white knit bolero twice. In Democratic Beverly Hills, CA - women would not be caught dead wearing such a thing - and twice, at that! [/kidding about the Democratic thing]

Palin is seen in old shots wearing items she currently utilizes. Nice touch, for a woman of the heartland, so to speak...

($300,000 earrings, eh? I shoulda distributed beer instead of drinking it :-o )

• Administrators

Since this is the Shane swiftboating topic, here is a forewarning of the real deal:

Group With Swift Boat Alumni Readies Ads Attacking Obama

Many of the same bunch are behind the new swiftboating organization called American Issues Project. But it seems that the far left isn't sitting out this contest of flinging poo against the wall in hopes that something stinky sticks. Something to really look forward too... reyes

(And Shane, what you keep calling "swiftboating" is just not the real deal because the real s...tuff getting thrown into the fan just hasn't really gotten started yet...)

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)