ClubAdventist is back!

US Politics and the Party Line

• Moderators

It's a pity in a way that this thread ended up partisan (Neil, I'm looking at you!) because I thought its initial premise was really interesting.

I'd been looking closely at the whole issue of only seeing what we want to see as it effected those with opinions different from mine, but then (as my wont is) tried to turn those same citical tools on myself. Where do *I* filter out the things I don't want to hear, or, for example, refuse to acknowledge the genuine faults in the politicians I prefer?

I think there is a very strong sense in which we see *exactly the same things* done by people from either side of politics, but given a hugely different weighting and emphasis based on the party line.

Truth is important

Quote:

It's a pity in a way that this thread ended up partisan (Neil, I'm looking at you!) because I thought its initial premise was really interesting.

Alright, my fault...I am partisan...but mainly because I am surrounded by people who refuse to listen to other ideas....I make the excuse "due to circumstances"....but in reality, for this thread, it's not justified. For that, I am sorry to hijack the thread.

I see the same arguments here and in real life, and I quietly listen and shake my head....I rail against those here because in real life, others refuse to listen even to the possiblity of a new idea and I rail against those who will not try to be taught...I hear the conspiracy theorists, who claim that the government is out to take all it can [i have truckers in my family who listen to the right wing talking heads], or that it's not big oil producers who are innocent of raping the american pocketbook, it's the democrates! . I hear that democrats are only the "tax and spend" party, and republicans are "good"...

I sit in the center of this mired sea of mythical metaphyscial reasoning, and individuals, who would pander these myths upon me, and I want to scream that they are all witless, non-thinking, foolish individuals.

My experience, in life, has been that everyone is trying to do their best with what they have, among the rules that they are hampered with. And somehow, depending upon the situation, that individual reinforces that poticular myth of society...'Democrates are the "tax and spent" party'. 'Republicans are good at foreign policy', 'gGvernment is out to take everything from your pocketbook',...ect ect ect.

And I want to cry.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I would want to cry if I believed as you also.

Quote:
they are all witless, non-thinking, foolish individuals.

But instead ... I am just one of your foolish and witless friends.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

But instead ... I am just one of your foolish and witless friends.

I was refering to real life....not virtual/cyber.

If you believe that,.....ah, never mind...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Wow! does that ever sound familiar...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)