ClubAdventist is back!

Action to bring in more gas

In an effort to get more gas on the market .... the EPA is allowing 'dirty' gas to go on the market in the Atlanta area. This is in hopes that it will lessen the tight gas supplies.

At last the government is doing something to help us.

Well ... I do hope it helps. But what if this dirty gas clogs up the engines of our cars? I sure hope not. Do we have any mechanics here? Do we know if this will be harmful to our engines?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Oh Gene.....What is your opinion on dirty gas in our cars???

BTW, Gene is the moderator of "Ask a Mechanic" forum....or at least, he was.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I'm not a mechanic, but from what I've read, they are just temporarily relaxing the restrictions that Atlanta has for gas. They're allowing a dirtier grade of gas, more like what the rest of use daily. Atlanta normally has tighter restrictions to help deal with pollution.

You know, the whole gas discussion makes me crazy, because there are so many alternatives out there for sources of energy. The technology is there for cleaner, cheaper energy. It is totally not necessary to be putting up with all this pollution in our air and water. But the oil/gas lobbies are so powerful, and their congressional perks so nice, that no one can hardly compete. Thankfully, more private investors are getting interested in wind, solar, hydrogen, Sterling engines, etc.

I'm not a mechanic, but from what I've read, they are just temporarily relaxing the restrictions that Atlanta has for gas. They're allowing a dirtier grade of gas, more like what the rest of use daily. Atlanta normally has tighter restrictions to help deal with pollution.

You know, the whole gas discussion makes me crazy, because there are so many alternatives out there for sources of energy. The technology is there for cleaner, cheaper energy. It is totally not necessary to be putting up with all this pollution in our air and water. But the oil/gas lobbies are so powerful, and their congressional perks so nice, that no one can hardly compete. Thankfully, more private investors are getting interested in wind, solar, hydrogen, Sterling engines, etc.

This is the typical reason why the Demos hold us hostage against drilling so that the cost of gas could go down. We are suffering greatly because the Demos want to make life so difficult that we come cryin for the alternatives. So, if you don't like the cost of gas ... blame the Demos.

I believe in Hematology.

Why do we need a pollutant to move around? Why increase our carbon footprint when there are other ways that are much more efficiant and less "carbon-ating" and bring good quality jobs to the market? If we were to go to war, [and I don't see that NOT happening soon], why not save that oil and gas for the military?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Personally ... I don't mind carbonation. I think that there is much worse.

I believe in Hematology.

This is the typical reason why the Demos hold us hostage against drilling so that the cost of gas could go down. We are suffering greatly because the Demos want to make life so difficult that we come cryin for the alternatives. So, if you don't like the cost of gas ... blame the Demos.

I'm sorry, the idea of making more pollution because we don't like the cost of gas - it just sounds so incredibly selfish, shallow, and short sighted.

I don't care about *reducing* the cost of gas - I would like to see it totally eliminated.

Speak to those who are in control of the House and Senate.

I believe in Hematology.

Personally ... I don't mind carbonation. I think that there is much worse.

Weeeellll then, you take a mentos and swallow it whole and drink root beer....I think you might have a different opnion of carbonation after that experience......

And frankly, If I knew you were going to do that, I would definately find some way to hook you up to some wind generating device to make electricity.... yucky

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
some way to hook you up to some wind generating device

I contribute plenty of wind to the atmosphere thanks.

I believe in Hematology.

So, where does one turn?

Honestly though. If the technology can't stand on it's own two feet ... how does that help us if we have to constantly provide financial support to it.

I believe in Hematology.

So, where does one turn?

Honestly though. If the technology can't stand on it's own two feet ... how does that help us if we have to constantly provide financial support to it.

Competition....

Right now, we are pretty much an oil using techology. Cars have gas, derived from oil. There is a monopoly on this, and it affects your politics...and our country's politics....Brazil has no imported oil, but it's country runs on ethonol, and is using more of the Amazon and ruining the plants dioversity. There are reasons why the dodo went extinct...There are reasons why that is affecting the islands plants...

By supporting it for a short while, we can create competion to the oil industry....hydrogen comes to mind....

George Bernard Shaw

What does the dodo have to do with this?

What we must 'do' is find a way to get more gas. Tell me how the dodo helps us to do that.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Quote:
If the technology can't stand on it's own two feet ... how does that help us if we have to constantly provide financial support to it.

Say you wanted to start a new team in the NFL (or whatever sporting code you like). It would require siginificant startup funding, and would be unlikely to be competitive for the first few seasons. We've been through this over the past couple of decades with the AFL (Australian Football League) with the addition of teams from other states to the competition. Took a while, took time and money and concessions... but now, to the chagrin of those from the traditional AFL states, interstate teams are regularly winning the competition.

It's the same with new technologies - there's an *immense* installed infrastructure and technology base built around oil. A brand new technology is not going to be immediately competitive with that on its own, because it will be building up its own technology and infrastructure. It will need some startup support, some money and some time to get going. But eventually it could win the whole competition - it doesn't make sense to judge its performance on its first season.

But where does the football analogy break down (besides potentially not being gender-inclusive!)? Unlike major league teams, oil is a finite resource. It *will* have to be beaten by some technology, some time. So the question is just whether we're willing to wait until oil shortage makes our situation desperate and our lives uncomfortable before taking action, or whether we want to be smarter than that and get started now.

Truth is important

Like I say ... the Demos are in control. What we Republicans try to do is not accepted. We have tired to support alternatives. It seems that the Demos lack leadership in this area. Maybe they just can't decide WHAT they want.

I believe in Hematology.

So, where does one turn?

That's pretty funny, considering all breaks we give to the oil/gas industry.

Um, who is the President again? The leader?

The President has NO power. The Demos just laugh at his ideas. It is up to those who have the power to provide leadership. About all the President can do is to use his power of veto.

I believe in Hematology.

Brazil has no imported oil, but it's country runs on ethanol, and is using more of the Amazon and ruining the plants biodiversity. There are reasons why the dodo went extinct...There are reasons why that is affecting the islands plants...

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: neil
Brazil has no imported oil, but it's country runs on ethanol, and is using more of the Amazon and ruining the plants biodiversity. There are reasons why the dodo went extinct...There are reasons why that is affecting the islands plants...

Originally Posted By: Redwood
What does the dodo have to do with this?

What we must 'do' is find a way to get more gas. Tell me how the dodo helps us to do that.

I was refering to the biodiverity where if we lose one animal, it affects other parts of the ecosystem. I was thinking of an animal, I thought it was a dodo bird, where humans killed it to extinction, and now it is affecting a plant/tree that produces the fruit that the dodo ate. Because no dodo, the fruit is not being eaten, nor spread nor propogated. As a result, this plant/tree is also going the way of the dodo...

We need to keep biodiversity alive because if we dont, our planet will have more of a monoculture, and those it will affect our children and grandchildren if we don't stop the killing of plants and animals.

What has that to do with gas? It causes pollution, which affects our planet. and further weakens biodiversification....

Ok, my ramblings....my rant...I will get off the soapbox...

Well Neil. I think you are thick into the dodo alright. No question about it.

I believe in Hematology.

I have also heard that mixing pinto beans and black beans will.... ayeyiyi

I wouldn't know anything about that ... but I trust your judgment on the matter.

You should team up with Neil. He seems to know a lot about that kind of Democratic dodo.

I believe in Hematology.

I still say that swallowing a whole Mentos and drinking a root beer will provide more than what you need....

Saw it on myth busters....

George Bernard Shaw