ClubAdventist is back!

The Shack

Amelia

So.... do you mean you wouldn't recommend this book for a book club comprised of mature Adventist couples?

How mature would one have to be?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gail

• Liz

• Steve Billiter

• Jeannieb43

• Moderators

Yes, these couples are all "old" -- mostly all age 55 or over. And discussions are what we enjoy. Nobody in this group gets their faith shaken by offbeat stories.

Guess I'll suggest it then. The reviews on Amazon, plus everybody's comments here, make it look like a good one for us to discuss. [We all have to come up with new books this next week, to add to the reading list for 2009.]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

• Moderators

How mature would one have to be?

Hm-m-m-m. Guess you're trying to find out somebody's age??

bwink

• Moderators

The brief author bio on the book cover says Wm. Paul Young suffered great loss as a child and young adult. I would like to know his story.

There's a good interview with the author, and videos of his speeches about the book, at Theshackbook.com [i think that's the correct site. Anyway there's a website for the book.]

He says he did have a terrible childhood, but he didn't go into specifics -- at least not on the video I watched.

• Administrators

I have begun to realizer that much Truth transcends accuracy, even theological (Theology = man's theory of God) accuracy or correctness.

This book has Truth in the same way Jesus' story of the Rich Man and Lazarus.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

The same applies to much good fiction and poetry. It does have a transcendent quality, at least the best of it does.

The problem, though, is that many people will no doubt use the Shack to verify their wrong views of God. When they read the Bible, it's possible they will see the Bible through the things they picked up in the Shack. I've found that when you give a story to a large class of students and ask them to tell you what they are getting out of it, it's often surprising to see what many of them think the author is saying.

I haven't read it yet myself but I plan to. I hope it's well written.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

And just as equally true, as I said, can one draw from Jesus' parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus verification of a wrong view of heaven and hell, reward and punishment, etc.

IMHO, these inaccuracies and mistaken ideas tend to be far more troubling to us than they are to God.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Quote:
IMHO, these inaccuracies and mistaken ideas tend to be far more troubling to us than they are to God.

Yes, I guess they would be troubling if they caused confusion.

It's like the Left Behind series or the Purpose-Driven Life. As expected the author will write from his experience and knowledge.

Personally I think that discussion on these popular items is a good thing.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Agreed. As long as people understand it's like a parable, but I was just on a thread a few days ago with someone who believes the parable you mentioned is no parable but the literal truth. I think that is how the majority of Christians today see it.

I'll be getting the book today. Look forward to reading it.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you read it yet?? Any thoughts??

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

finished reading and I really enjoyed it. But I can see, like john317 mentioned, how people can take it as being real.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I'm just reading it now, and enjoying it. I suspect any objections I have, will come from a different place from John317's, but may amount to much the same thing. I find it a little too psychobabbly in places. It harps on the 'relationship' thing a little too much, as do most contemporary Christian churches. It's a bit like how I used to enjoy the language in 'The Message' paraphrase but now find it unbearably treacly sweet.

Still, it does a very nice job of addressing the Problem of Pain and the nature of God, and if more Christians read it I think that would be a good thing on balance.

Truth is important

• Administrators

Bravus, what you said struck a chord with me, too.

I'm currently attending a church that is more on the "young" side. The music is modern, the crowd is young, and the sermons keep us up to date with the latest mainstream Christian book releases.

I am bored, and it is a bit on the "sweet" side for me, too. I like Scripture, as it stretches my mind, but there is not much in the way of Scripture there, I'm afraid. I guess I should try getting there earlier for Sabbath School- perhaps it is there where the deep thinking is. And that is my fault, for missing out on that.

I've read the Shack, the Purpose-Driven Life and very recently watched a couple videos from the Weigh-Down Diet. I found that so bizarre, too. It had a useful point or two and some Christianspeak but mostly lacking in common sense regarding diet (focused on dietING more than the diet itself).

These things don't leave a bad taste in my mouth, just unsatisfaction. Some are merely entertainment, it seems to me.

Plus the treacle-sweetness you mentioned makes me kinda gag. I can see that it does feed some folks, so I do see its value in some circles.

Forgive the vent-ilation... You just pricked something in me that's been there for a while. I think I'm just used to deeper thoughts.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Your post caught my eye, Gail.

After the interesting comments about this book here on C/A several weeks ago, I decided to nominate it as my book for our book club [we limit ourselves to novels in this particular group]. And I ordered it from Amazon and read it quickly.

Well, I changed my mind after reading it. This book is "Pablum" and our book club members need "real meat" to chew on, to discuss, and to comment on.

It's an interesting book in many ways, but too elementary and simplistic to be a challenge to this particular group.

• Moderators

Perhaps if we all had bee living in a different time and culture we might have made some of the same comments about Pilgrims Progress or the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

But, now they are religious classics and we are not as prone to make such comments.

Religioius writing has a specific purpose. Sometimes we attempt to place it in another context.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

There's an interesting article here concerning the Emergent Church and where they get their theology from- http://contend4thefaith.servantsofjesusc...ecycled-heresy/ .

Here's what I think the Apostle Paul would have to say concerning The Shack-

Galatians 1:6-9

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

• Moderators

Have you read it yet?? Any thoughts??

I just bought it and have only read the first coupla chapters. Also jumped ahead to see what it reads like in the middle and saw God is a female. That's interesting. The thought is fascinating.

Yes, it is fascinating; to think that God "appears" as what you need. I won't ruin it for you, so when you are done reading let me know.

O.k. just "one" little thing....it is also pretty cool that God is constantly creating...in the "Mother" body it takes the form of cooking.

Now really I won't ruin anything else...just let me know when you are done.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

It takes both the female and the male for mankind to be fully in God's image. The male alone doesn't completely reflect the character of God. God definitely has the nurturing-- "mothering"-- characteristics we tend to associate more with the female.

It will be an interesting book, I'm sure. I'll get back about it after I've finished it.

• Administrators

Yes, you kinda have to "get" it. Let us know what you think, John317.

• Members

We read the book during our worship time. The book put things in a different perspective. There are things that I don't accept. But its not the kind of book to accept or not accept. Its very interesting none the less. And I really enjoyed it.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I know what you mean. But its very interesting none the less.

pk

phkrause

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Those of you who are interested in THE SHACK may be interested in the story of the personal events that led to the author writting the book. You will find this in the following article:

Young, Paul. "The Healing," GUIDEPOSTS, August 2009, pages 74 - 78 and page 89.

Here is a brief quote:

Quote:
I wrote on a pad of paper . . . the story of a man who met God when he thought he's lost everything. Those pages turned into a novel, THE SHACK, that I photocopied at Office Depot and passed along to family and friends,. . ." P. 78

NOTE: Originally 15 copies were printed and distributed among friends. Today, more than 7,000,000 copies are in print. See page 89

Gregory

• 5 months later...

I got The Shack for Christmas. I'm already into my second reading, and I love it! It's a really life-changing book.

And I love the name Sarayu. :D

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

I got The Shack for Christmas. I'm already into my second reading, and I love it! It's a really life-changing book.

And I love the name Sarayu. :D

Good for you, I've read it and loved it as well.

pk

phkrause