ClubAdventist is back!

How can a Christian Vote?

In another thread some were opining about how difficult it is to vote for a party or candidate when none of them totally reflect our view as SDA Christians. I think this is a valid question. What DO we DO ?

If we vote someone in office that commits sins .... we are held responsible.

Quote:
"The Lord would have His people bury political questions. On these themes silence is eloquence. Christ calls upon His followers to come into unity on the pure gospel principles which are plainly revealed in the word of God. We cannot with safety vote for political parties; for we do not know whom we are voting for. We cannot with safety take part in any political schemes. We cannot labor to please men who will use their influence to repress religious liberty, and to set in operation oppressive measures to lead or compel their fellow men to keep Sunday as the Sabbath. The first day of the week is not a day to be reverenced. It is a spurious sabbath, and the members of the Lord's family cannot participate with the men who exalt this day, and violate the law of God by trampling upon His Sabbath. The people of God are not to vote to place such men in office; for when they do this, they are partakers with them of the sins which they commit while in office." FE 475

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It is this very thing, that makes me not want to vote. But then I have people jump on me for not voting.

So how do you reconcile (sp?) the two?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

Are we, then, also guilty of the things that happen because our failure to vote allows someone to get into office? It seems logical (at least as logical as the reverse position).

Truth is important

Were the Israelites guilty of stoning Achan ?....even after God said to do so?

I would guess it would depend upon your premise and your values...personally, I don't think so...

Voting is a way for the masses to tell the leadership who/what they want. It is the leadership's responsibility to lead....That death decree is gonna happen whether you voted for or against the man...

No, I don't think they are guilty because GOD told them to do it.

So I guess my conundrum is, I don't feel God telling me which way to vote.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Are we, then, also guilty of the things that happen because our failure to vote allows someone to get into office? It seems logical (at least as logical as the reverse position).

I know, I can see this too. So what is the answer?

I guess one could ask ... is it really Biblical for us to be responsible for the sins of someone else just because we in good faith voted for them?

I believe in Hematology.

I would like to think that the answer is *NO*, but then one has that E. White quote and the answer is *Yes*.

So then one starts to think, well as long as I am informed on the issues and vote along with my value system, wouldn't one be even more responsible for who they voted into office over say someone who just goes into the booth and votes for the cutest of the two candidates? Which then of course, takes us back to those other two pesky questions.

Oy Vay, I need some aspirin.

We cannot with safety take part in any political schemes. We cannot labor to please men who will use their influence to repress religious liberty, and to set in operation oppressive measures to lead or compel their fellow men to keep Sunday as the Sabbath. The first day of the week is not a day to be reverenced. It is a spurious sabbath, and the members of the Lord's family cannot participate with the men who exalt this day, and violate the law of God by trampling upon His Sabbath. The people of God are not to vote to place such men in office; for when they do this, they are partakers with them of the sins which they commit while in office."

I want to know the background of such a statement...For example, how do we know that these canidates are using their influence to repress religious liberty? and are laboring to set in operation oppressive measures to lead or compel men to keep the sunday sabbath?

Ok, let's go to other commandments...murder/killing...abortion....

Since this is thread came about by talking about Obama, the question arises- Is Obama using his influence to repress religious liberty in relation to abortion?

I have to answer-no, because he takes a pro-choice stance. Pro-Choice allows for decision making. It allows to become a pro-life individual. Of course, it also allows the woman to terminate the pregnancy. I have to allow that a woman knows what is best for her.

McCain is known now as a pro-life candidate. [i remember that he was a pro-choice republican, which shows to me, that he is catering to the far-right wing...a flip flop, if you will]. The Pro-life stands do not allow for terminating the pregnancy. A woman MUST carry it to term. During those times where legislation was not single-woman with child friendly, abortion rates went up. During those times that there were more women issues being addressed,ie Clinton years, abortion rates went down. It is rumored that abortion rates have gone down during the Bush adminstration, but I have not been able to confirm this. Obama has been saying that abortion rates are up again during the Bush adminstration... [shrugs]

Either way, society's women want the ability for women to have the option of surgical abortion without goverment intervention. Abortion before Roe V Wade, was bad...nothing but backyard abortion clinics...Women died due to the fear of the value system of Christians...and the monsters who butchered them.

Now, having said all that, I tend to think that EGW was refering to KNOWN politicians...and KNOWN practices of what THEY do...So, if you know that Bush will drive up the abortion rates due to his policys, and all the while he says that he is against abortion, me thinks that you don't need to vote for that liar...[this advice comes to you at 4 and 8 years too late.]

But that is my take on this issue.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Regarding the death of Achan=

No, I don't think they are guilty because GOD told them to do it.

So I guess my conundrum is, I don't feel God telling me which way to vote.

I disagree with you...The Isrealites were guilty of murdering a known thief. Which is worse, theft or murder?

I know, God told them to do it....But does that justify the actions of a human...to kill another human? Did not God take responsibility for the sin problem?

If not, then why send His Son? [Please note- I did not ask who was responsible for the sin problem, but who is taking responsibility for the sin problem.]

If God is taking responsibility for the sin problem, then it does not matter if I vote with good intentions on the best possible candidate as fully informed as I can be.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Alright. I still haven't found my aspirin. I think I need to go and give all of this a lot more thought.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, and helping me hash this out.

Alright. I still haven't found my aspirin.

Heheheheheh.....Wait wait...there more...

If you buy this antiquidated article for only $9.95, you will be blessed with absolution from any sins...

And by buy the stamps, you are doublely blessed....for only an additional $2.95 llama

George Bernard Shaw

Heheheheheh.....Wait wait...there more...

No, No, No more. surrender

Quote:
Edit Reason: clarification

I am still hoping that you will give us some of that.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Edit Reason: clarification

I am still hoping that you will give us some of that.

I would if I could, believe me. Just imagine what that post said the first time. egg

I didn't mean to be referring just to you ... I was hoping that someone out there in cyberspace would give us some wisdom and clarification on this issue. Like you ... I need some aspirin.

I believe in Hematology.

What is this? ...Redwood, the keeper of EGWhite quotes, needing an aspirin for understanding what EGW has said?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

[Moderator, don't throw me out...I was just wondering......]

George Bernard Shaw

Yep. This one has me stumped Neil.

I believe in Hematology.