ClubAdventist is back!

Fox News vs America

• Moderators

Just the first couple of paragraphs of this Glenn Greenwald article are interesting: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/10/08/fox_news/

Look, I know it's Salon, and I know it's Greenwald. I'm not saying his take is unbiased or anything else. My whole point is that most of the polls in America gave the debate to Obama in about a 60%-40% ratio to McCain, whereas the Fox News poll (of its audience) gave it to McCain 86%-12% over Obama.

I'm not even into arguing about who is objectively right about such a subjective thing as who won a debate. But its clear that Fox News has a particular audience, and it's also clear that that audience sees things quite differently to a majority of their fellow Americans.

Still not placing a value judgement on that, just remarking on it as interesting.

Truth is important

• Moderators

Clearly Fox news has found a corner of the market that was not being served. There are millions of right wingers who like to have their news from a right wing perspective. That's OK. Its making money for News Corp.

I would question whether it is a news organization in the same way that CNN is.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I'm not even into arguing about who is objectively right about such a subjective thing as who won a debate. But its clear that Fox News has a particular audience, and it's also clear that that audience sees things quite differently to a majority of their fellow Americans.

I beg to differ. The CNN (Clinton News Network) and CBS (Clinton broadcasting system) and others were simply all democrat all the time for years -- finally there is a balancing voice in the media -- though Fox does have democrat contributors like Allen Colmes Gretta Vansustren and Clinton's former political advisor etc.

On the "majority of Americans" issue - one can not ignore the fact that the popular vote has gone with with the Rebublicans for the last 8 years EVEN though the demo media outlets declared the democrat candidate to have won the lead 3 weeks prior to the election each time.

The votes speak for themselves.

Hence we have Fox News crushing all the other media outlets in terms of percentage of the market.

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

Look, I know it's Salon, and I know it's Greenwald. I'm not saying his take is unbiased or anything else. My whole point is that most of the polls in America gave the debate to Obama in about a 60%-40% ratio to McCain, whereas the Fox News poll (of its audience) gave it to McCain 86%-12% over Obama.

What is interesting to me is that on one of Shanes sources, it listed FoxNews as a polling people [not sure what demographic it was, independant/undecided voters?], and they listed McCain at 39% to Obamas 45%.

It is, to me and my way of thinking, definately a sensational rag attempting to stir up opinion with scurious sources. The National Inquirer could not do better.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: Bravus

I beg to differ. The CNN (Clinton News Network) and CBS (Clinton broadcasting system) and others were simply all democrat all the time for years -- finally there is a balancing voice in the media -- though Fox does have democrat contributors like Allen Colmes Gretta Vansustren and Clinton's former political advisor etc.

On the "majority of Americans" issue - one can not ignore the fact that the popular vote has gone with with the Rebublicans for the last 8 years EVEN though the demo media outlets declared the democrat candidate to have won the lead 3 weeks prior to the election each time.

The votes speak for themselves.

Hence we have Fox News crushing all the other media outlets in terms of percentage of the market.

Good Points. The fact that FOX has Gretta ... is amazing. She was one of the most sickening supporters of Clinton when she worked for CNN. They are clearly 'fair and balanced'.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I agree that there is plenty of balance at fox. I would say more than other stations.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I think most Republicans do watch FOXNews but that is not in itself evidence that it is bias to them. It could mean, as I believe it does, that Republicans feel (for whatever reason) that other news outlets have a liberal bias.

In their hard news reports, when they show a clip of a Republican politician speaking they show a clip of the same size of a Democrat giving an opposing position. In the reporters in their news rooms (not the actual news anchors) are from all political stripes.

Their prime-time shows are O'Reilly, Hannity & Combs and Vanstrusten. O'Reilly is a moderate conservative. Hannity is a far-right conservative. Combs is a far-left liberal. Vanstrustren is a moderate liberal. Each of these programs have guests on a regular basis from all political stripes.

I think FOXNews does a good job of trying to be fair and balanced. Of course that is an ideal that no news organization is going to be able to achieve 100%. Any conservative slant the network may have would be driven by ratings rather than ideology.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Yeah, I know Shane, I wasn't arguing necessarily that Fox is biased, just that its audience slants very strongly one way. But savvy media professionals are going to cater to their audience.

Truth is important

• Moderators

And olger, that cartoon makes a point but is completely off topic in this thread.

Truth is important