ClubAdventist is back!

The Problem with 'Fair and Balanced'

• Moderators

There are two related phenomena, that together create a problem.

One is the human tendency, exacerbated in a very strongly polarised climate, to hear, accept and believe the things that agree with our existing conceptions of the world. Those on the left and those on the right do attend to and believe quite different things when they are exposed to the same information, as we see here again and again. This means that, if a station shows 'both sides' of an issue, viewers will usually completely discount the ideas of the opposition and believe the ideas of 'their side'. We all like to believe we're above it, and that we judge the case on the merits, but in my reflective moments I know I tend to listen with a very critical eye to those opposed and a much more open mind to those with whom I agree.

The other is the fact that 'balanced' can mean opposed views of any degree of extremity. That is, to balanced a seesaw (teeter-totter?) you can either put a person of the same size 2 feet either side of the pivot point, or put them 10 feet either side. You will still have balance, either way. The principle of balance does not do anything to moderate or check the claims made, just says that if one side makes a claim the other side has the opportunity to do likewise.

If you combine these two things, what you get is the ability for each side to make extreme, unchecked claims, combined with the fact that many viewers will only attend to the extreme claims of one side of the debate. Those claims will be taken as gospel, and the claims on the other side discounted.

That's why it would be much better for a news organisation to apply journalistic standards of fact checking and accuracy, of only allowing claims to be aired that are verifiable, and of seeking to test knowledge claims with evidence, than to use the sole principle of 'balance'.

Truth is important

I like how you have presented this, Bravus. A teeter totter can appear balanced, but the father away from center, the more extreme the issues are presented.

I have said that the scale of left and right among academics can be off from the news media. And the news media tends to reflect the views of the culture that they are in....So, they can change/shift in an election....

I noted that 8 years ago...and I anticipate a shift to the left hopefully in 1 month...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw