ClubAdventist is back!

Colin Powel endorsing Obama

Powel just gave a quite 15 mins commercial for Obama. And I agree with many things that he said. Obama behaved much more mature during campaign, avoiding demagogy that McCain campaign unleashed.

I absolutely agree with him that there should not be anything wrong with a Muslim being a president, just like there's nothing wrong with a Christian being a president.

Yet, I still don't see how Obama's message much better than his campaign... yet I certainly think that he would be a better PR person for US around the world then McCain, simply because I believe that McCain is out of touch with the rest of the world.

"Terrorists" would be happy for Obama to win, because they would not have to hate USA as much.

Yet, I still think that a third party would be a better choice than these two.

I certainly would like to see Fox News reaction on this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• John317

• fccool

• Woody

• Moderators

Huh? I didn't see Powell's speech, though I'm delighted about his endorsement. But some of those points sound odd. Why is a Muslim president even relevant to raise, when Obama is not one? And I disagree with the idea that 'terrorists' would be happy with an Obama win: they want more of their fellow Muslims to join them in hating America, and Obama wouldn't help them with that.

Truth is important

The point was made with a bit of sarcasm. I am for once believe that people don't just begin hating one another for no reason, or as Bush would put it "They hate freedom". I don't think anyone would hate freedom. But what they hate is the interventionism policies that blew up in US face on 9-11 and people finally felt for a day how Afgan and Iraqi, Israeli and Palestinian people felt for decades.

So, the less holy interventionism US is engages in the better.

If you watch the interview, Powel made a point that without the Weapons of Mass destruction, Iraq posed no legitimate threat, and hinted that occupation was illegitimate in that regard. One may mascarade it as spreading democracy or curbing the malintent... but at what cost?

Thus, I think that "terrorists" would be better off with someone who is not a John Wayne... a cowboy riding into town to fix problems by blowing things up. This attitude of fixing things by blowing thins up is what fuels hate and populates the radical ranks in the first place. If the US quits being a "devil" in their eyes, they can go back to being farmers and merchants, or post war stress syndrome alcoholics. Whatever it may be.

Powel was also disturbed that many people were chalking him up to be a Muslim, thus unfit for a presidential office. He addressed that he was not a Muslim, and even if he was, it would not make him any less of a candidate (unfortunately I think he would not stand a chance if he was a Muslim... not even a remote chance).

• Moderators

Colin Powell made these comments on one of the Sunday morning news interview shows. I didn't see it but read about it on my Yahoo News and CNN.com this morning.

I'm so glad to hear this support of Obama from a well respected political leader -- who knows military strategy as well as political strategy.

Maybe Powell might become Obama's Secretary of State....

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Wow, I just saw this on the news myself! I have been really curious to know if Powell would endorse anyone and who it might be. I think he left the Bush administration pretty disgusted, but he is too nice to say so.

I think this link will work if you want to see the interview from this morning's Meet the Press:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27265490#27265490

Good point dgrimm ... If you want Jesus to come quickly ...

VOTE OBAMA

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

After reading the above post ... maybe I should reconsider my wording ??

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Wow! Thanks for posting that link. That was a powerful speech! It was organized, thoughtful, and pointed out all the reasons why Barack Obama should be our next president.

Bravo for Colin Powell!!

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Not sure why there is all the excitement over the one who ensured our envolvement in Iraq.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Makes him more credible, perhaps!?!? reyes

But seriously, if you have been paying attention, Powell has since acknowledged that he also was mislead, given bogus info to sell the war and that if he had known then what we know now, things would most likely have been different.

Powell is greatly respected by Repubs and Democrats alike. His opinion counts.

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I think it was Powell who mislead the mislead.

I believe in Hematology.

I believe you are right. Powell has a lot of credibility, and I always got the sense that he was disgusted about the whole Iraq deal and the way Bush put him in that position which tarnished his credibility. I think Powell felt used and betrayed by the administration in order for them to work their plan, and the only reason he stayed for the whole first term is that he IS such an honorable man.

I think this endorsement will be HUGE. Bush's former secretary of state endorsing the other party's candidate....

And, yes, Jeannie, it was a powerful speech. They called it an interview, but a speech is more what it was, and a truly great one that outlined reason after reason after reason why he feels Obama is the best one to be president for this time.

Quote:
Makes him more credible

Well then ... let's vote Dick Chaney for President then.

He would be pretty 'credible'.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Good post dgrimm60. And besides God is in charge. I have no problem with whoever he allows to win. Plus Colin Powell may have just sealed the deal for Obama. But nothing is ever for sure.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

But seriously, if you have been paying attention, Powell has since acknowledged that he also was mislead

No kidding. We were all misled. The entire world was misled by Saddam Hussein talking out of both sides of his mouth. Bad intelligence prevented us from stopping 9/11 before it happened and bad intelligence led us to invade Iraq. It isn't Powell's or Bush's fault. It may not even be George Tennant's fault all though he certainly bares more blame than any other American. The greatest fault lies on Saddam. Saddam misled the world.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Wow! Thanks for posting that link. That was a powerful speech! It was organized, thoughtful, and pointed out all the reasons why Barack Obama should be our next president.

Bravo for Colin Powell!!

Heh. Agrees with you today, does he? You weren't so enthusiastic when Powell wanted to invade...

As you were.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

Powell has said the war was a mistake. McCain has not.

But even more important than that, watch his announcement. You Republicans: this Republican is talking about what is wrong with your party, from a position of loving your party and being a member of your party. Can you hear this from him?

Truth is important

• Moderators

I get his point about being a Muslim now, having seen the tape. It's a crucial point, and one no-on else has made as clearly in the media.

Truth is important

He is a traitor. Why listen to him?

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

?!

So anyone, even a very well regarded member of your party, who doesn't toe the party line, is a traitor?

Yep, that'd be one of those pathologies (my word) he was talking about.

Truth is important

• Moderators

?!

So anyone, even a very well regarded member of your party, who doesn't toe the party line, is a traitor?

Yep, that'd be one of those pathologies (my word) he was talking about.

One reason that Powell has never been on a national ticket or run for the Presidency is that he never would have been able to win the base of the Republican party. Conservatives view Powell skeptically, not as a committed Republican. He actually has some of the same problems as McCain had up until he chose Palin. Conservatives weren't excited about McCain until Palin was put on the ticket.

As far as being a traitor is concerned, I am sure there are quite a few Democrats who see Joe Liberman as a traitor. No one is saying they are traitors to the nation, though. We all know those men are patriotic Americans. They are only considered traitors to what used to be their party. I believe Powell can now kiss the Republican party and any chance of running for office on a Republican ticket good-bye.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I feel more comfortable with Obama now that Powell has endorsed him. Of course, for all the liberals that believe Powell is an Uncle Tom, they probable think Obama is going to be an Uncle Tom now too. I guess they will have to vote for a third party candidate. Ralph Nader is still running.

Quote:
I believe Powell can now kiss the Republican party and any chance of running for office on a Republican ticket good-bye.

Powell has no ambition to run for political office. He is 71 years old now. He has said he would consider serving an appointed position if asked. Probably something like being an ambassador to some high-profile nation or to the UN.

• Moderators

I can agree with you to the extent that with Powell's endorsement, I would feel better if Obama wins than I would have felt otherwise. But Powell's endorsement alone shouldn't cause someone to switch from McCain to Obama if they had other reasons for being for McCain.

My reason for being against Obama is that Obama is too liberal. He wants to spend too much. I don't like Obama's idea of taxing in order to "spread the wealth around." I don't see Obama's tax and spend policy as a good one for the US going into the next four to eight years.

I also don't like the fact that he would have brought the troops in Iraq home by now if he had had his way, which would have meant defeat. Additionally, his first words about Russia's invasion of Georgia showed that he is not ready to be president. I thought McCain's position at that point was much better and demonstrated a greater readiness to take over the presidency.

Another reason I am for McCain and not Obama is that I am more in line with McCain's view of abortion.

So despite Powell's endorsement of Obama, it doesn't affect my reasons for voting for McCain.

I found Powell's reasons for being for Obama rather than for McCain to be rather weak. He made a big deal about McCain's campaign's use of Obama's association with Bill Ayers. That is not a good reason to vote against McCain. During an election, the American people have a right to know those things about Obama. So it is a legitimate topic to bring up.

I noticed that Powell did say that McCain is a good man and would be a good president. Bottom line for me is that I trust McCain, and I don't trust Obama.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.