ClubAdventist is back!

Which Bible version

Gail

• Administrators

... are you currently using?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Gail

• phkrause

• Scar

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I constantly use both the KJV and NASB in a parallel version.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the KJV.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Administrators

NIV, but I hope to get that parallel bible with the NASB, KJV, NIV, and NLT soon.

Ah yes, we've had these for sale. I like them!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I use the NIV for Sabbath School Lesson study but then use other versions for anything else.

Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening. -- Dorothy Sarnoff

My study Bible is parallel KJV & NKJV. But currently I'm reading from the One Year Chronological Bible, which is NIV.

I also use e-Sword on my laptop, with all the free English versions, plus NKJV & NASB, and the French Louis Segond version. Sometimes I compare versions with it.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

• Administrators

I also like the Louis Segond version and compare with it also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All! My first time visiting this forum. Looks like a good place to be. hifive

I use the KJV pretty exclusively. It is the version I grew up using and so most of the verses I have memorized are KJV. I love the poetic flow, as well.

• Administrators

Welcome, welcome, SandyLea! I'm looking forward to seeing more of you around! :)

• Members

Jerry what is the NCV?

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

That's the New Century Version. It came out about 1987. Very interesting one.

At Daniel 9: 24-27, it says "490 years" rather than 70 weeks.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I have about 25 Bibles in a Bible on CD. The New Jerusalem Bible has an interesting angle at times, so I always check it. Plus, there are dictionaries and a number of history helps, Josephus, for example, on the CD. I mostly study the Bible on the computer, but have marked up my NLT study Bible.

When studying the Bible on the computer I like to use the Literal Bible with Strong's numbers and definitions to see either the Hebrew or Greek definitions, then click to see the parallel versions.

My favorite version is the New Living Translation. I've got it on audio CD, too, and listen to it frequently, although the voice acting is a little hokey in places.

I recently found an unusual Bible at a used book store. It's called The Bible as a Novel. It's got some fiction as filler, but it's really pleasant to read.

A really oddball translation is the Message. I get a few laughs over it, sometimes, maybe because it's way out there.

I've never heard of the Louis Segond version. Maybe you could paste a sample here, Gail.

The Literal Translation in Daniel reads Seventy "Sevens" rather than seventy weeks.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

The Literal Translation in Daniel reads Seventy "Sevens" rather than seventy weeks.

Yes, that's what it says literally. It's the same thing as 70 weeks. 70 x 7 =490 years.

• Administrators

The Louis Segond is the "good" French bible, using the passé simple, which is a literary tense only.

I also have one that is in everyday French, but the Louis Segond is the one I prefer. It is somewhat similar to the KJV in the way it words passages.

Here is a sample:

Quote:
<J'ai été crucifié avec Christ; et si je vis, ce n'est plus moi qui vis, c'est Christ qui vit en moi; si je vis maintenant dans la chair, je vis dans la foi au Fils de Dieu, qui m'a aimé et qui s'est livré lui-même pour moi> Galates 2.20

If I was to translate that literally to English it would say,

"I have been crucified with Christ; and if I live, it's no longer me who lives, it's Christ who lives in me; if I live now in the flesh, I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and who delivered (gave) himself for me." Gal.2:20

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Gail! Good to be here...thanks for the greeting!

We are having interesting discussions in our church right now about which version is the 'right' one. It is a small, traditional church and the overwhelming response is the KJV. Since that is my choice anyway, I can sit back and just listen to the debates :)

• Administrators

I tend to say that the right version is the one that's read... bwink

• Moderators

I enjoy all the translations, but if you look closely at what happened in the Christian church between 1611 to 1881, I'd say God accomplished amazing things during the time when the whole English-speaking church was reading from that single text.

Hark!

Speakest thou not in the same toungue as the one-and-only True Bible Language and Translation given by God to the English? Henceforth we mayest speak unto one another in this True Language, given to men nigh unto four centuries past.

Mindest thou not the more than several obscure or incomprehensible renderings of the KJV.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

• Moderators

Don't you enjoy the KJV, Spencer, Marlowe, Shakespeare, and Milton? I think Elizabethan English is far more beautiful today's English.

But I also like reading any good translation of the Bible. Even some bad ones such as the NWT have a few well done verses.

I understand that the KJV is still a best-seller.

• Administrators

For those of you who get bogged down with the language of the KJV but appreciate the version, try the KJVER. It's not a separate translation like the NKJV, but it's the King James which has had the archaic words updated.

I like it a lot! If I run into a verse that I like how the KJV translates it but want it in today's language, I really like the KJVer (ER=Easy Reading)

And it has the words of Christ in red all the way through, not just in the Gospels.

• Moderators

Do you know when it was first published? I like the idea and think it's long overdue. I've never seen it at the Loma Linda ABC but I'll go and ask them about it today.

• Administrators

Do you know when it was first published? I like the idea and think it's long overdue. I've never seen it at the Loma Linda ABC but I'll go and ask them about it today.

It hasn't been out that long, I would say we've had it just in the last year or so. They are published by Whitaker House. But I loved it on first sight once I leafed through it.