ClubAdventist is back!

Which Bible version

Gail

OW,

Yes; I have read some of the apocryphal writings. many of them are quite interesting. I don't know why some of them were excluded from the Canon; but I ain't no rocket surgeon.

Me either but I believe it is a good thing to read as much information as one can. I will admit that I haven't read abook all the way through by Ellen White though.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Gail

• phkrause

• Scar

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me a while to get through the Controversy series, but it wasn't the message that was the problem - it was the way it was written. Some of the wording is so arcane and the sentences so long that I forget what she was discussing. When I suffered through it, I was glad. Great message - but a "tough to read" presentation.

• Administrators

It took me a while to get through the Controversy series, but it wasn't the message that was the problem - it was the way it was written. Some of the wording is so arcane and the sentences so long that I forget what she was discussing. When I suffered through it, I was glad. Great message - but a "tough to read" presentation.

There is a recent rewriting of the Conflict of the Ages series in modern English. All 5 volumes are covered. Churches around here use them for small group studies for new members (probably for the same reasons you have noted, Joe).

Anyways, all of the books say on the cover, "An adaptation in today's language" and they are more concise.

Their titles are:

Beginning of the End (Patriarchs and Prophets)

Royalty and Ruin (Prophets and Kings)

Humble Hero (Desire of Ages)

Unlikely Leaders (Acts of the Apostles)

Love Under Fire (Great Controversy)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Kinda like that :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I tell people that the best version is the one that is READ.

A couple of months ago I learned a magic trick called "The Red Bible" that I performed in church. The punch is that the red Bible is the most important because no matter what the outside looks like the power comes from the inside being Read!!!

• Moderators

Depends on what I'm using the Bible for. What I find is best for me is listening while driving to work and I got a dramatized version of the NIV. For quick reading I like the Children's International Version (written on the 3rd grade level) and I really like the TANAK the Jewish translation from a while back. for study I prefer RSV, NASB and KJV.

What versions of the Bible do I have/read? The list is too long to type here. I will give you a count though, 51.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

I have a "Harper Study Bible" New Revised Standard Version printed in 1991. Today, I found out this Bible is different from the very same named Bible which was printed prior to this date.

• Moderators

I have a "Harper Study Bible" New Revised Standard Version printed in 1991. Today, I found out this Bible is different from the very same named Bible which was printed prior to this date.

I seem to remember something like this happening, such as some kind of revision or update, but don't remember for sure. Anyway what are the differences that you noticed? We used the RSV Harper Study Bible for all Bible classes at Atlantic Union College during the late 1970s to early 80s when I attended and I used the same one when at Andrews.

• Moderators

I googled, could not find the year but read about a Revised Harper Study Bible with the New RSV that was revised by "Harold W. Attridge, Ph.D., is Dean of Yale University Divinity School and Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament. He has published many scholarly contributions to New Testament exegesis and to the study of Hellenistic Judaism and the history of the early Church. He also has served as the president of the Society of Biblical Literature." I need to get one. However what are some of the differences that you noticed?