ClubAdventist is back!

Respect the flag

• Moderators

s-FLAG-large.jpg

As everyone here knows, I generally support the Democrats. Doesn't mean I won't call them on it when they're wrong, though. The photo above of a large US flag dragging on the ground after an Obama rally disturbs me. I think it's important to show respect for the symbols of the country you're applying to lead.

Truth is important

It's hard to tell what the context of the photo is. There's nothing wrong with national icons, yet it's so commercialized today that these lost meaning for many people. Consider such phenomenon as American flag underwear.

In addition to that, I think people make such a big deal about burning the flag... but symbols are multidimensional. Especially when it comes to countries. So all of the good, and all of the bad is represented by the flag. When people burn the flag in protest, they are obviously not protesting against the good aspects. Although I do think that it's meaningless waste of time to have a flag burning parties.

• Moderators

OK, I have to own up to a small deception. The photo above was actually taken after a McCain rally.

Truth is important

>>Nobody is walking over a flag.<<

...as Willi-A, Obama's homey, did for a [telling] photo to accompany a magazine article featuring him. This same Wm Ayers, who posed trampling the American flag,

was videotaped the other day wearing a shirt with a Red Star on its front.

Just a guy from the 'hood. Yeah, tell it to the sycophants.

>>Is there a rule that you can't put a flag on the ground?<<

Flag etiquette strives to keep the flag from touching the ground - and strives to better treat them than leaving unwanted flags bundled in garbage bags and left next to the garbage pick-up; ie,

referencing the Democrat Convention.

• Moderators

So, can you say "The Republicans did the wrong thing here"? Simple as that? Or will it continue to be a litany of attacks on everyone else? Absolute standards, remember?

Truth is important

The best you may hope for is my

jumping in to prematurely scurrilize the Democrats - when you first posted to deceive... :-o

Discounting any other reason - such as the flag having fallen over and someone was hurrying to pick it up...

it was reprehensible for Rebubs to permit the American flag to touch the ground; moreover, to, seemingly, allow it lie there.

I guess I'm with JWs on that issue. I understand that a flag represents the ideals of a country, and I see how intentionally burning or defacing the flag could be concieved as disrespect for the ideals.

BUT how can that relate in cases such as folding a 10 yard piece of cloth by putting it on the ground????

Is it just to force people to "worship" the made up cultural icons?

I tend to agree with you, and yet proper etiquette does say the flag should not touch the ground. In the military, it takes 6-8 people to fold a regular sized flag.

• Moderators

My intention was simply to demonstrate that the identical act, when performed by different (alleged) players, receives very different interpretations and reactions. You're too wily and too good for me, my friend. bwink

Truth is important