ClubAdventist is back!

Latest Poll

More and more Babbling.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I got a second wind.

I believe in Hematology.

I got a second wind.

Well, I am going to review everything and then **I** am going to bed...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Oh NO. You must just be a sore loser.

I believe in Hematology.

Oh NO. You must just be a sore loser.

No, just tired....It's time to go to bed...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Okay. If you must.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

And another thing happened today which scared me to death, it was when I heard McCain interviewed on a rightwing local radio station for about 10 minutes this afternoon. During that time McCain said, "I know I'm going to win Ohio."

Well, that's the same bragging we heard from GWB during the last election -- the time when Diebold was (later) proven to have rigged the voting machines in Bush's favor.

The Republicans just can't be trusted, now that they've engaged in that voter fraud. They'll never be trusted again.

My only prayer is that there'll be a wide enough margin for Obama so that the states having fraudulent votes won't be needed in the final count.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

that's the same bragging we heard from GWB during the last election -- the time when Diebold was (later) proven to have rigged the voting machines in Bush's favor.

I quit listening to the conspiracy theory crowd right after they told me about the black helicopters that hover over their homes.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Despite the speculative nature of many conspiracy theories, mainstream world history contains numerous proven conspiracies, some of which were not the subject of any widespread speculation until they were exposed. Historical conspiracies include:

* The Catiline conspiracies in the first century BC.

* The Pisonian conspiracy AD 65.

* The Pazzi conspiracy, which included the Pope, of the late 1400s.

* The Main Plot of 1603

* The Bye Plot of 1603

* The Gunpowder Plot of 1605

* The Anjala conspiracy

* The conspiracy of 1865 to assassinate U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and members of his cabinet

* The French government's attempted cover-up following Emile Zola's accusations in the Dreyfus Affair, starting in 1894.

* The 1903 efforts by the Tsar's secret police to foment anti-Semitism by presenting The Protocols of the Elders of Zion as an authentic text.[19]

* The 1939 Operation Himmler and its Gleiwitz incident

* Operation Mockingbird, from 1948. In 1976, then CIA director George H.W. Bush ordered that paid media recruiting would be prohibited.

* The 1945 Operation Paperclip, the extraction of top Nazi scientists.

* The MKULTRA mind control program, from 1953 to late 1960s

* The 1954 Lavon affair

* The 1962 Operation Northwoods

* The 1969 Manson Family murders

* The 1972 Watergate burglary and cover-up

* The 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack

* The 1987 Iran-Contra Affair

* The 1995 Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway

• Moderators

No, he's saying that those are examples of real conspiracies. It's one way of establishing the point that simply saying 'conspiracy' is not a magic wand to wave away any further need for discussion, thought and analysis.

Truth is important

I could make a list 100 times longer of false conspiracy theories. Sometimes conspiracies do happen. That is obvious. If they didn't we wouldn't have laws against them. Why ban something that never happens? However in the vast majority of cases, conspiracy theories are simply sensationalized paranoia.

Quote:
I quit listening to the conspiracy theory crowd right after they told me about the black helicopters that hover over their homes.

What is interesting is that they think that if they pass on the lies ... that somehow they will be believed. Sad. It just don't make it so.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

The point is that the voting machines are essentially computers and we *know* computers are hackable and their results manipulable. These are facts. We also know they malfunction - gimme a sec and I'll find a great link.

Believing that there will be widespread, systematic fraud, enough to deliver McCain the presidency? Yeah, that's probably a conspiracy theory. Believing that there'll be zero fraud? That's Polyannaism.

Truth is important

• Moderators

The lesson from this video is:

Never leave the voting booth before checking to see that your ballot was filled in correctly (either on computer voting, or on paper ballots). Because it can be corrected on the spot if anything gets fouled up.

Thanks, Bravus.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

The old voting machines where the person pulled switches were not completely accurate either. Even right out of the factory they found there was a less-than-1% inaccurate recording of the vote. No system is perfect. However it is reasonable that the machines will make about the same amount of mistakes in favor and against both parties.

Ignoring things that are untrue is much better than believing them and spreading them on the internet.

Of course. But ignoring things that are true doesn't make them untrue. Some people think if they hide their heads in the sand, it can't be true.

The old voting machines where the person pulled switches were not completely accurate either. Even right out of the factory they found there was a less-than-1% inaccurate recording of the vote. No system is perfect. However it is reasonable that the machines will make about the same amount of mistakes in favor and against both parties.

Even with paper ballots, there are going to be errors. There is no perfect system. Although with paper ballots, there is a better trail. But I think the main thing is to make sure voters clearly understand to make sure their ballot says what they want it to say before they hit the cast-your-ballot button. It seems like there should be a way to have a better trail that could be audited, though.