ClubAdventist is back!

The Catholic Church

Ellen

The Catholic Church a short history by Hans Kung translated by John Bowden. from 2001

I have had a great read, it is not details it is written in a readable story form. I know the bare details of the church's rise and domination., but the author compares each move of the church with the early church of the new Testiment quite broadmindedly.

He claims at the beginning that he has always been and still is a Roman Catholic. That is why it is so refreshing to read how he exposes all the weaknesses of the church.

"One need only think of the macabre exhumation of Pope Formosus after nine months, so that a judgent could be passed on his dead body. His body was sentenced, the finger of his right hand with which he gave the blessing was chopped off, and his corpse was finally thrown into the Tiber"

this during the dark ages of course.

This is a small book of 200 pages, easy to read and informative.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe it came from ABC. It was donated to the church library when one of our members died. He had been a catholic, but it is printed since he became an S D A. So I am sure he bought it for the historical value. He underlined some good parts of it.

I passed out some library books for members to chose and someone borrowed it, so I haven't finished it yet.