ClubAdventist is back!

Book of Martyrs

Peace

I am reading The New Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe.

The original book was first published in 1563 under the title, Acts and Monuments of These Latter and Perillous Dayes. It became known as the "Book of Martyrs".

This particular book I am reading is an updated version of John Foxe's "Book of Martyrs" rewritten by Harold J. Chadwick and published in 1997. Old Middle-English words have been removed and sentences have been rewritten into modern American English. Clarification in remarks or words are inserted and enclosed in brackets. Appendixes are included.

The book tells stories of men and women who were tortured and killed because of their faith in God.

I am just now on chapter 3, Constantine, the Great, Emperor of Rome: A.D. 306-337.

Do you know stories of Christians today who suffer persecution for their faith? Stories such as these inspire us to recommit our lives to Christ.

May Jesus find you and me faithful...even unto death.

Blessings,

Peace

• Moderators

Yes, there are lots of books about modern Christians who've been persecuted and have suffered for their faith. Millions suffered under Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and Fidel Castro, and some of them have written and published their inspiring stories. The Adventist Book Center sells quite a few of them.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Foxes book of martyrs is a book that you don't want to read if you are subject to depression...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

And to think that the stories are all factual. People were really that cruel.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

And to think that the stories are all factual. People were really that cruel.

that's the depressing part.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators

There are DVDs on both, the Hiding Place and a few about Bonhoeffer. I've seen the Ten Boom story and read that book and have seen Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace. There's also one called Hanged on a Twisted Cross.

The courage of these heroes was very moving, indeed.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

If they don't have any on hand I imagine that it is a small matter in ordering them in upon request.

We just have the DVDs here.

• 5 years later...

Most of the book seems to be just a list of gruesome killings to show the evil of it all and how low humans can stoop, how dehumanizing the power of the devil is. However, not all of those people died in Christ. It shows also people who died misguided, people (or a person) who died giving up his/their faith. People who died lost by giving their hearts to the enemy of souls and joining him in persecuting and killing God's people. It shows how Christianity can grow through persecution. It shows that God can comfort and strengthen even those heading to a miserable death. It shows His protective power, too, towards His servants...

There are many things to learn from it, but I don't believe it's necessary, and I believe it can be harmful, to dwell on most of the senseless killings. What I recommend is reading the true stories contained in the Book of Martyrs, and skipping some of the lists....

Humans are not above that kind of cruelty, even in modern times. The holocaust proves that. Difficult times can bring out the best and worst in people, the worst for those who are deceived by or willingly following the enemy of souls, even those who are in ignorance, and the best by those through whom Christ is working.