ClubAdventist is back!

President Obama: Reactions from "down under"

The mood is overwhelmingly positive here. Here is a selection of what ordinary Aussies are saying (letters to the editor of some of our newspapers).

Quote:
I lived in the United States during the 1950s, an era of "whites only" public toilets and water fountains and segregated seating at the movies. The prospect then of a black president in my lifetime was an impossible dream. What about Australia? How long will it be before we elect someone from our black minority to the top job?

Quote:
It spoke volumes of the essential difference in the attitudes of the right and the left in politics when the crowd listening to President-elect Obama's victory speech applauded at the mention of his opponent, while a significant number of those at Senator McCain's gathering booed at his gracious comments about Senator Obama.

Quote:
It will be far harder for the spreaders of hate to denounce "the Great Satan" now that it is to be led by a black man whose middle name is Hussein; and far harder for autocrats around the world to claim that American democracy is a sham.

Quote:
I am so glad. Well done, America. You have every right to feel nervous about what you have just done, but also every right to feel hopeful and uplifted. This is a brave step out of the shadows and the first stride on a journey back to moral leadership of the free world.

Americans have been famous for their can-do attitude for a long time, but now you must and will turn from each person striving to enrich themselves alone, to each person striving to enrich their nation and their world.

Quote:
The time appears to have come for Rosa Parks to get up from her seat on the Montgomery bus and take a huge bow.

Quote:
Barack Obama's victory is one in which all Americans - indeed all citizens of the world - should rejoice. And John McCain certainly does not deserve to be tagged a loser. The only losers are Fox News, George Bush and bigotry.

Quote:
I am delighted that Barack Obama will be the next US president. However, John McCain's concession speech struck me for its dignity, humility, generosity of spirit and graciousness.

Quote:
I would hate to be a moose in Alaska.

Quote:
What on Earth will Fox News do now?

Quote:
In the 1960s, the US federal government commenced enforced integration by bussing black children into white schools. Living in the States, I well remember the images of the children walking into school, past screaming, vicious white adults. Those small courageous black children have done their nation proud.

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Moderators

I was in a day-long meeting here yesterday and a colleague kept giving updates on the vote count, to general jubilation.

Truth is important

Quote:
What on Earth will Fox News do now?

They will get to report on all the good news when the economy improves and white discrimination is done away with.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

I was in a day-long meeting here yesterday and a colleague kept giving updates on the vote count, to general jubilation.

My day at work was similar - and then we had an Amnesty branch meeting after work, and I know Amnesty is supposed to be politically neutral, but we just couldn't help celebrating with organic fair-trade chocolate.

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

Redwood,

I told you that there would be jubilation, dancing in the street.....

It's is best that Obama is President....There is good reason for that jubilation....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I am waiting ...

And I will wait some more.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Completely different meeting with a completely different group today - and more jubilation. They were senior academics, directors of education programs, so not a lot of dancing, but certainly a fair bit of dry academic joy!

Truth is important