ClubAdventist is back!

Old-fashioned stories

Gail

• Administrators

Does anyone here read books with old-fashioned stories in them, from the 17-1800s?

Emphasis was high in moral purity, virtue and character development in those days!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Yes a pity where some stories have gone in our day and age. If you read such "oldfashioned" stories from those days you'd almost think you were reading something from the SDA church...society has really changed over the years.

Yes. I have an SDA one entitled "Stories Worth Re-Reading". It is really good. My wife and I have read many of them together.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

As a child I read and re-read "Sabbath Readings for the Home Circle" which has since been republished. It is a collection of stories from church papers from the late 1800s. They were quite old fashioned, but had good lessons in them. I still remember some of the stories, though I haven't seen the book in decades.

LD

LD

Yes, I love those types of stories! Some of my very favorite books are the six novels written by Jane Austen, which were published in the early 1800s. There are a lot of good books these days too, but I don't think it's a coincidence that books written 100 or 200 years ago are still popular today. As far as individual stories, the Christmas in My Heart books have a lot of those old-fashioned stories, and those are really good too. Oh, and of course Uncle Arthur stories are really good. They're not as old, but they have a lot of good lessons in them and are fun for people of all ages to read.

• 1 month later...

I too really enjoy books like this, the longer the story the better. But sadly I don't spend a lot of time in them. Once I get into a story it is all I can do to get away from it and do everything else there is to do in my life. Knowing that I have this problem, I do not allow myself the joy of reading outside of study type reading on Spiritual topics too often. But enjoy them I truly do.

In His Love, Marie

• 2 months later...