ClubAdventist is back!

SDA Mother Returns to Children from Combat in Iraq

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

whatever the Lord gives us to do, it is okay to do it on the Sabbath.

Really?

Does God call some of us to work in the seccular work-place?

For example to be an advertising executive developing advertisemtnts that persuade people to purchase Honda automobiles?

If God has truely called us to do that, does that call entail working on the Sabbath to persuade people to purchase Honda vehicles?

NOTE: I happen to beleive that God places many people in the seccular workplace to witness to the claims of God to those people working in the seccular workplace who would never enter a church.

Gregory

• Administrators

I dont think GOD wants us to do any thing on sabbath...

To comply with not doing "any thing" would require us to be dead.

Sabbath is a day to live.

The root word of the Hebrew word for Sabbath is a verb, an action word.

Sabbath is a day to do anything that is not for ourselves only. The work proscribed in the commandment was work for ones own gain.

As Jesus said, to do good (works for another's benefit) on the Sabbath is in harmony with the law of God.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

This topic brings to mind a question. Did the Israelites suspend war for the Sabbath? Did God ever command a war effort that would have reasonably expected continuation through the hours of the Sabbath?

The Biblical conotation of justice or doing justice is very much about setting to right injustice. It is from this mandate that Jesus launched his earthly minstry and went about doing good, executing divine justice.

If we believe that ours is a just war, can we say that we must stop doing such justice on the Sabbath?

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Is there a just war?

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

This topic brings to mind a question. Did the Israelites suspend war for the Sabbath? Did God ever command a war effort that would have reasonably expected continuation through the hours of the Sabbath?

The Biblical conotation of justice or doing justice is very much about setting to right injustice. It is from this mandate that Jesus launched his earthly minstry and went about doing good, executing divine justice.

If we believe that ours is a just war, can we say that we must stop doing such justice on the Sabbath?

Tom its interesting that you should bring up the Israelites of old and the sabbath and war! I believe that even today the Israeli army observes the Sabbath. Bu have on occasion actually attacked there enemies who thought that they wouldn't do that. I guess that they thought that that was what you mentioned as a "Just War". And of course they've been attacked many times on the Sabbath because there enemies thought that they would not be ready, but unfortunitely for there enemies they were ready for them.

And Sivart I agree no war is a just war.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I don't recall God giving out instructions like that lately, though. The latest news I remember Him giving on the topic is "those who take the sword will die by the sword".

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

• Members

PKRAUSE

I agree that most wars have not be just wars

but in the bible times when GOD told the people

of Israel to wipe out a group of people might

have been just in GODS eyes

dgrimm60

Absolutely dgrimm, no question about that. From what I've read EGW explains God's motive's in the conflict series.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Is there a just war?

The concept of a "Just War" is ultimately a rationalization of the winners to justify that road to "peace". And in the end such justice is only temporary. It is just [only] war. And war just brings death and destruction. Someone always loses in the end. God's justice is to bring life and a new creation. In the end God's way wins.

• Administrators

War and the Sabbath in the Bible -

God instructed the people to march around Jericho for seven consecutive days to ultimately destroy and take the city. One of those days was the Sabbath.

Other wars/battles both of offense and defense lasted more than one week. There is no record of a Sabbath break from any battle in Scripture that I am aware of.

• Members

War and the Sabbath in the Bible -

God instructed the people to march around Jericho for seven consecutive days to ultimately destroy and take the city. One of those days was the Sabbath.

Other wars/battles both of offense and defense lasted more than one week. There is no record of a Sabbath break from any battle in Scripture that I am aware of.

Good points Tom. I just realized that! duh!

pk

phkrause

• Moderators

During the Intertestamental period dvout Jews at first refused to defend themselves on the Sabbath. That resulted in major attacks beging initiated against them on the Sabbath. As a result the Maccabean leaders decided that defense on the Sabbath was permitted. That decision resulted in a change in what became history.

Gregory

• Members

That would make sense Gregory. I believe that they do that now also. Not that that means anything anymore.

pk

phkrause

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: Tom Wetmore

During the Intertestamental period dvout Jews at first refused to defend themselves on the Sabbath. That resulted in major attacks beging initiated against them on the Sabbath. As a result the Maccabean leaders decided that defense on the Sabbath was permitted. That decision resulted in a change in what became history.

Also look at Joshua with the battle of Jericho. How many days did they continue?

• Moderators

Again I want to say Thank you Perry and your wife.

Today I had something exciting happen and I think this is the best place to share it. I was shopping in the Commesary and BX. While there I med Master Sergeant Albert Ludwig, He is 89 years old, joined the Army in 1940. He is a surviver of Omaha Beach and served under General Patten.

• Members

Again I want to say Thank you Perry and your wife.

Today I had something exciting happen and I think this is the best place to share it. I was shopping in the Commesary and BX. While there I med Master Sergeant Albert Ludwig, He is 89 years old, joined the Army in 1940. He is a surviver of Omaha Beach and served under General Patten.

That's awesome Kevin

pk

phkrause