ClubAdventist is back!

Obama Hands Limbaugh Big Win

My experience does not just encompass my own personal drug addiction - which was short lived. My experience includes that of thousands of others with whom I have interacted with in the 12-Step setting for more than two decades. Book knowledge isn't enough. I can read a lot about counseling too but that is not going to elevate me to the same level as a family counselor that has been in the business over 20 years.

For the record, I was taught that two wrongs don't make a right but two Wrights do make an airplane. Making fun of Obama's smoking addiction is wrong. Making fun of Rush's drug addiction is wrong.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neil D

• Woody

• Dr. Shane

• Bravus

Top Posters In This Topic

But you're happy to make jibes about Obama's struggle to overcome his smoking addiction?

Honestly, it *all*, 100% comes down to who is doing something, with you guys, rather than the right and wrong of the thing itself.

If Bush was proposing the exact same bailout package Obama is, it'd be the greatest thing since the invention of the world, absolutely essential to kickstart the economy, and anyone who questioned it would be painted as wanting America to fail.

Smoking issue? Obama declared he had stopped. Honesty of the president is the issue. Rush is not running for president. But Rush was honest about his addiction.

Bailout? Bush would never propose this kind of bail out ... I assure you.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Originally posted by Bravus

rush-limbaugh.jpg

cheaper and cheaper, lower and lower.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Members
coffeecomputer.gif I agree with Ichabod.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Ah, whatever. As expected Redwood claims that the Limbaugh and Obama and Obama and Bush cases are not parallel, which absolutely vindicates my comment that it's not what's done, it's who does it that counts.

I'm out - maybe you guys are right and I'm getting low in frustration... so some time out seems like a sensible approach.

Truth is important

To my knowledge I have never commented to anyone ever about Obama and smoking. Whether Obama smokes or not is of little interest to me.

How someone mentioning Obama's smoking justifies a cheap shot about someone else is what mystifies me.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

To my knowledge I have never commented to anyone ever about Obama and smoking. Whether Obama smokes or not is of little interest to me.

How someone mentioning Obama's smoking justifies a cheap shot about someone else is what mystifies me.

I agree with your 'mistification", Ichy...You don't get it...and neither does anyone else with ubber conservative glasses...you guys have ganged up on someone who has been making valid points and you can't see his point of view....Congratulations...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
OK, explain to me how two wrongs make a right? I would like to see that explanation.

Precisely my point. Apparently compassion does not extend to those that disagree with the 'compassionate' left.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Apparently, they do make a lefty.

backtopic

Hey you right righties...This is from an honest to goodness 'middle of the road' politics. Or as many of you would say, "A liberal lefty paper." This might not set too well with you all...best that you don't read this... It's from The Panagraph.com

Rush Limbaugh challenging notion of new politics in the age of Obama

By David Bauder

Associated Press

Advertisement

NEW YORK -- For all the talk of new politics and a new start with a new administration, the media person who has emerged as the chief voice of opposition during the first week of Barack Obama’s presidency — Rush Limbaugh — has been doing this for 20 years.

The talk-radio titan said, days before Obama was sworn in, that he hoped Obama failed because he didn’t believe in the incoming president’s policies.

It’s kept him in the headlines ever since, to the point where MSNBC on Thursday asked: “Is Rush running the GOP?” The day before, every Republican House member voted against Obama’s economic stimulus plan, a bill Limbaugh has ridiculed as the “porkulus” plan.

“Obama was trying to marginalize me,” Limbaugh said. “His hope was that the House and Senate Republicans would join him in denouncing me. Didn’t work.”

When Rep. Phil Gingrey, a Georgia Republican, tried to praise his House leadership this week by saying it’s easy for talk-show hosts to stand back and throw bricks, the headline on the Politico Web site read: “House GOP member to Rush: Back off.” Gingrey was so bothered by the phone calls of complaints that he visited four conservative talk-show hosts, including Limbaugh, the next day to apologize.

Limbaugh, he said, was a conservative giant and one of the “voices of the conservative movement’s conscience.”

Can it get any better for a personality whose business is built on buzz?

“Rush Limbaugh is first and foremost a radio performer,” said Michael Harrison, publisher of the trade journal Talkers magazine, which notes that Limbaugh has been the most listened-to talk-show host since at least the mid-1990s. “He’s not a political leader. He doesn’t make more money by turning elections. He only exists to gather large audiences and raise more advertising revenue and he does it terrifically.”

(Limbaugh is heard on some 600 radio stations across the country, and more than 14 million people listen to him at least once a week.)

Yet count columnist Michael Wolff, writing in a newser.com column picked up by the Huffington Post, as one who believes Limbaugh is “being played.”

Valuable to the president?

He could prove valuable to the president, who has sought bipartisan support for many of his plans and romanced Republicans in his first week in office. Being able to point to an opponent like Limbaugh could help him with the millions of Americans for whom the message of ending partisan bickering rang true on Election Day.

Obama even cited Limbaugh in seeking support for his economic plans.

“You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done,” he said. “There are big things that unify Republicans and Democrats. We shouldn’t let partisan politics derail what are very important things that need to get done.”

A liberal advocacy group, Americans United for Change, said Friday it was using Limbaugh’s words in radio ads it was launching against three Republican senators: Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, George Voinovich of Ohio and John Ensign of Nevada. The ads, supporting Obama’s economic plan, urges voters in those states to call their senator and “tell him he represents you, not Rush Limbaugh.”

Wolff wrote that he believed the dinner Obama had with conservative columnists before his inauguration was a pointed snub to Limbaugh.

“He’s tried to make it out to be a political point ever since,” he wrote, “but mostly he sounds like a guy who’s hurt he didn’t get invited to the hot party.”

Asked about Wolff’s comments, Limbaugh said, “Who?”

Another conservative talk-show host, William Bennett, said on CNN that Limbaugh’s statement wasn’t a good idea.

“The locution — ‘I want him to fail’ — is not what you say the first week the man’s been inaugurated,” he said.

He noted that former President Bill Clinton used to talk about Limbaugh all the time. “It never helped Bill Clinton,” Bennett said. “It certainly helped Rush.”

It seemed clear that Limbaugh knew exactly what kind of impact he would make when he first said he wanted Obama to fail.

“I would be honored if the drive-by media headlined me all day long: ‘Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails,”‘ he said on the air. “Somebody’s gotta say it.”

Limbaugh, who just marked his 20th year in syndication and signed a contract last year reportedly paying him $38 million a year through 2016, has outraced his competitors to be the voice of opposition.

It could be a valuable role, or it could misread the national mood. He had mixed results last year; launching “Operation Chaos” to urge listeners to vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton in Democratic primaries to hurt Obama. He virulently opposed John McCain in the Republican nomination race, forging an uneasy peace when GOP voters didn’t listen.

Limbaugh said the “I hope he fails” statement came after an explanation of his opposition to liberal politics.

“I want the country to succeed and the stated policies of the administration will not achieve that objective,” he said. “I support the president but I opposed his policies, just as the left claimed to support the troops but opposed their mission of victory. I thus am confident that all conservatives want the country to succeed.”

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I am still waiting for an explanation of how two wrongs make a right.

bigsigh If you didn't get it then, what makes me think that you are going to get it now? Go back, reread, and then PM me, if you still want to discuss this...

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
If you didn't get it then, what makes me think that you are going to get it now? Go back, reread, and then PM me, if you still want to discuss this...

Oh, no. Don't deprive the rest of the world of the final explanation how multiplying wrongs makes things better! Philosophers and sages have pondered this for ages, and recognized its impossibility. But now you have the solution!

When you're finished with that, you can demonstrate that 0+0+0 = 1

Well now, that seems to be the difference between you and me, Ichy...I believe that some can read this and see what was said. I believe that there is the possiblity that there is good in the world.....as opposed to those who can not, or worse, refuse to see...

The invitation is open even to you too, Ichy...If you want, you can reread it again...and while you are at it, send me that appology that is 3 years over due...and we can discuss those things....

I doubt that will happen though...Your messages are full of mocking disagreement bordering on hatred toward anyone who disagrees with you....no amount of pleading for an appology to bridge relationships ever come from you. You are a stubborn and pridefilled man...That's a shame too....

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
Your messages are full of mocking disagreement bordering on hatred toward anyone who disagrees with you.

Hatred? Not even close. How can one hate the ridiculous? As far as 'mocking' goes, I do not know how to state the ridiculous -- e.g. 'two wrongs make a right'-- and sound serious at the same time.

Haybe like this? "Scientists examining the rocks and soil brought back from the moon have discovered that they exhibit an underlying unity of chemical composition. Apparently, the entire moon was originally composed of an acidified, coagulated, dairy product with a color temperature of approx. 560 degrees Kelvin."

Quote:
You are a stubborn and pridefilled man

There are many differences between you and me, Neil. One of which is that I do not arrogate to myself the Godlike prerogative of passing judgment on your motives or character.

There are many differences between you and me, Neil. One of which is that I do not arrogate to myself the Godlike prerogative of passing judgment on your motives or character.

Every charge that I have made, has been fully substantiated by your posts, Ed.

Your posts have always been abusive toward anyone who disagrees with you. That is one sorry relationship that you are fostering. And you can't say that you are sorry for fostering that relationship. That makes you a most pityable man...Not able to say that you can be sorry for anything that you may have caused.

I have offered to bury the hatchet between us....more than once... I extend the offer again, on condition that you say that you are sorry for the mean spirited things you have said to me, but more importantly, to others...

I am not interested in this type of abusive relationships that you like to foster here on clubadventist....You call me arrogant....I call you abusive...BUT, I also offer the hand of forgiveness.....What are you offering?

George Bernard Shaw

Interesting how some can break the rules at will here and be abusive towards others. This conversations is sick. I ask you both to delete your posts. Moderators? huh.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
You call me arrogant. I call you abusive.

No, I did not call you anything. I said, "I do not arrogate to myself the Godlike prerogatives of passing judgment on your motives or character."

arrogate: to take or make use of without authority or right

No one has the authority or right to judge another's motives or character.

• Members

"Scientists examining the rocks and soil brought back from the moon have discovered that they exhibit an underlying unity of chemical composition. Apparently, the entire moon was originally composed of an acidified, coagulated, dairy product with a color temperature of approx. 560 degrees Kelvin."

lol-1.gif

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Quote:
You call me arrogant. I call you abusive.

No, I did not call you anything. I said, "I do not arrogate to myself the Godlike prerogatives of passing judgment on your motives or character."

No, it's what you didn't say that spoke volumes...And that is what gets you into trouble. and that is what makes you abusive. You don't like it, but it's true.

The offfer stands....Say you're sorry for the mean spirited implications and I back way off...You get your name back, and I don't trouble you.....

George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
that is what makes you abusive

Drop it Neil.

Just drop it.

These personal attacks are just getting OLD.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
No, it's what you didn't say that spoke volumes. And that is what gets you into trouble. and that is what makes you abusive.

Wow. We have just gone through the looking-glass with Alice.

So now since I didn't say someone was arrogant, that's why I (silently?) called him arrogant.

But there are an infinite number of things I didn't say. By this standard, I must be guilty of them all, whether I thought of them or not.

Imagine the implications for court cases.

Q. Did your husband ever strike you?

A. No, your honor.

Q. Was he verbally abusive?

A. No, your honor.

Q. Then why do you claim he was abusive?

A. It was all the things he didn't say.

Q. What things?

A. Abusive things.

Q. He didn't say abusive things?

A. That's correct. That's what made him abusive.

Judge: That does it! Guilty as charged!

Quote:
You are a stubborn and pridefilled man...

Quote:
send me that appology that is 3 years over due.

For the record .... I've notified the moderator regarding these statements. Personal attacks and dragging up old beefs against members are both against the rules established here for members. I am not sure if the rules apply for moderators ... but we will see.

This notification was issued some days ago ... so we will see what is accepted here on this forum and what is not. I intend to keep my eyes open on this issue. It will be very instructive.

I believe in Hematology.