ClubAdventist is back!

The Joys of Adventism

Stan

I often wonder if one can really grasp the Joys of Adventism, if one has 'always' been one.

I also think, Adventism can be hell for those who have never sought out the land of milk and honey for themself.

Just my thoughts...

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Members

So stan what do you consider the land of milk and honey for adventist? Canada! :).

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

No OZ PK :)!

I have 'always' been SDA - my greatgrandmother was SDA and the line continued. Sadly most of my generation and the next have elected otherwise. What makes

them leave? Possibly the cares and conveniences of this life. Did we fail as

parents in letting them see only what they perceived as negatives? I think I and their father raised good citizens but not one is SDA today.

So is this what you mean Stan in saying that those finding the greatest joy in Adventism have done so after having lived another life style first?

I wish I had the answers.

True! TRUE!! TRUE !!!

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

• Administrators

So, what is joy?

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I wasn't born adventist. I can remember as a child having easter egg hunts on the front lawn of the baptist church we attended. After key adults converted to the sda church I remember reading ellen white and being convinced that this is the truth, this is the true church, and that she is a prophet. I've never had any doubts about any of that, even at a young age. Following all that and living it is another story.

I didn't like the sabbath growing up, because it conflicted with a lot of things i thought were important, like friday night high school football, saturday college football, nfl dallas cowboy football, friday night basketball, etc. And music, namely Hendrix, and other stuff. Now I think the sabbath is great, and all that other stuff is basically unnecesaary. I don't miss any of that much.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Moderators

In a similar discussion on another forum, which was focused on distinctive features of Adventism, rather than the joys of Adventism, I ventured the opinion that there's something about being right, correct, true. People typically convert to Adventism because they are persuaded that this church has the set of doctrines that most accurately reflect Scripture, and the denomination seems to select for people who are interested in that.

That's neither a good or bad thing on its own, but may explain some of the reaons why the next generation leaves, if being right is a less important value to them than other things.

Truth is important

For myself as a child, music spoke volumes and my dad would often catch me singing softly.

"'You sound happy.'"

I agreed. There was quiet content joy in my heart while the world was in chaos all around me.

I left the church for a while and found myself in the pit of despair. Now that the Lord has removed me from it, the joy has returned. Yes, the world around me is still in chaos but there is peace now that fills my soul with unspeakable contented joy.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

I have enjoyed my whole life as an Adventist, an "isolated" one during my childhood when we lived a long way from the nearest Adventist, but I have enjoyed church fellowship for the last 65 years, and it has always been enjoyable.

Now, living in an Adventist Retirement Village, I find the fellowship even better, Today was Communion service, and there just seemed to be a special closeness as we fellowshipped together.

We have a number of ladies whose husbands are in the Nursing Home because of their need for full-time nursing, while the wife is still able to live in the home in the village, so we find the Village and our church are made up of about 1/4 males and 3/4 females.

Today 6 of us pooled our food and ate together. Next week we have an entire village Potluck lunch.

Last week one of our ladies received the shattering news that her 14 year old only grandson had been electrocuted. She is still so thankful for the fact that we are all sisters in the Lord. She has been through many tough times, but has never before felt the closeness of an "Adventist Family";

Just think what it will be like in heaven -- we will all be "Sabbath-keepers" there!!

God bless,

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

• Members

Like Kountzer I was not born adventist. But probably around 5 my Mom started going to an adventist church in brooklyn NY. It was a german church, being that mom was a german :). Than growing up I kind was resentful towards the church for not being able to play baseball, basketball, football, etc. All these events were always on friday night and Sabbath. But I think the HS was always working on me. Because I never left the church to seek other alternatiffs (spelling). Now I don't look at some of the little do's and don'ts that some have made up. Exactly what the Jews did with all there sabbath rules to keep it better. Not that I didn't enjoy the sabbath back than, but I do enjoy the sabbath today without having to think of what's OK and what's not. Just live to please my savior. At least I try!!!

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

I am glimpsing joy. Beryl, you have described fellowship/ community/friendship as attributes of joy. I am seeing facets of a many faced diamond here in this joy thing.

How about contentment? Peace of mind?

Living in the moment? (I think I'll carry this thought to the time topic...

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

The note of child-likeness... Children even in very desparate situations seem to find a reason to smile and laugh... Now what was it about children that Jesus said...

• Administrators

Maybe, just being right does not bring joy...

Perhaps being right has been mistaken for being righteous...

Would being righteous be more joyful?

• Moderators

Righteousness is joyful, self-righteousness is joy-killing... the trick is to know the difference. bwink

Truth is important

This week, at work, three of us were talking about divorce and how it is not possible to forget certain things that someone has done to you. There are some things that hurt us so much that it is impossible to forget them.

It dawned on me later though that when we get to heaven we will not remember any of the evil that happened to us. I started thinking about that and it seems that the reason we do not remember is not that we have forgotten, but rather it will be because of all that is to see and taste and do and hear and touch and smell and ....

My point here is that joy, real joy, will come even here on earth as long as we keep our eyes on Jesus, on what He has created for us and on what He has planned for us. We are not forgetting the bad, just not remembering it. As we look at these things we will not be looking back, but forward. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with our own right doing, our own righteousness.

Ellen White says that our happiness will become more intense as time goes on. (GC) I cannot fathom being happier than I have been already here on earth, but I guess it is true. Evidently there is no end to how happy and how full of joy we can be.

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)

• Administrators

And there is indeed something very joyous about being released from the burdens of past memories that haunt our ability to live in the moment... to enjoy just being and living as it unfolds.

The distinction between forgetting and not remembering for me was one of those little epiphanies. I was struggling with the expression - to forgive and forget and wondering how an all-knowing God can forgive and remember our sins no more. I don't have a delete button in my brain. Does God? How can God just forget those sins He throws into the depths of the sea? (For me that metaphor speaks of gone forever, never to be recovered - a supreme delete of data.) My pastor clarified my understanding by telling me that God doesn't forget, rather He simply chooses not to remember.

Forgiveness brings great joy because it is a choice to clear the ledger. God chooses to not hold anything against us, to not get even for the wrongs we have committed against Him. He chooses to not remember or think of the past, or of us burdened by our past. From this point forward only... It is a new beginning, a fresh relationship start. To forgive as God does, that was the thought in the Lord's prayer.

Hmmmm

I wonder how God feels when I keep on reminding him of my past, and ask him to forgive?

Does he think "What are you talking about, there is nothing on the books about that"?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Sorry, offtopic

But Stan, you bring up an interesting subject that I have wondered about over the years.

Maybe I should not be causing a detour here, but when the Bible tells us that God forgives us, are our sins totally removed from the books at that time, or are they just covered by Jesus' blood and only later totally removed after He comes to redeem us?

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)

I don't know if I would use the word joy, but maybe I should. I do like the clarity of this churches prophetic beliefs. Truth and clarity and in many respects synonymous. The word says there is one truth, one Lord, one baptism. In says that the Lord is the truth, and that His churh is the pillar of the truth, etc. So it stands to reason to look for the most truthful church, and this is it.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

• Administrators

I think that some may have perceived that the missing element sometimes is what Jesus declared as being a reason for his coming to earth, that we might have his joy so that our joy would be complete.

• Administrators

A slight variation on the truth/clarity idea is a thought that occured to me that truth and accuracy are not necessarily the same thing. Clarity and accuracy are likewise not necesarily the same thing. On this joy topic, the quest for accuracy, being right, may bring satisfaction, but does it always bring joy?

• Moderators

In a similar vein, I suspect that many times the quest to be right actually gets in the way of the quest for the truth...

Truth is important

The truth is what is right. Jesus said He is the truth. If we are truly seeking the Truth we will find what is right. I started out a spiritual quest when I was 21 years old. That quest brought me to the Adventist movement. In all other religious movements I studied with there were questions that I could not find answers for. In Adventism I found answers to my questions that were clear. So I must agree that the Truth is clear. There isn't a bunch of contradictions in it.

I am not familiar with the term "quest to be right". Is that a quest to be right with God? Is that a quest to be in the right religion (as in the Truth)? Certainly those are noble quests but I do not see how they could get in the way of the quest for truth.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

No, I meant the quest to prove oneself right in a discussion, to win. Especially if the notion is that if one is to be proved right then others must be proved wrong.

That's different from what you're talking about, and I agree that the quest to be righteous is crucial. I still think the quest to be right, as I've defined it above, gets in the way... and is a particularly debilitating illness of SDAs.

Truth is important