ClubAdventist is back!

AIPAC

carolaa

This is from today's Democracy Now! headlines. It seems that the entire world knows the true situation in Gaza - except for those 96% of Americans.

"Tutu Campaigns for Gaza War Crimes Probe

"The South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu is among a group of sixteen leading war crimes investigators and judges calling for a UN inquiry into war crimes committed during Israel’s attack on Gaza. The group has written a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

"Archbishop Desmond Tutu: 'It isn’t that we want to sensationalize. It’s just that some very serious things have happened, and if we are hoping to have a world that is stable, a world that abides by the rule of law, then it has to apply to everybody.'

Other signatories joining Tutu include former Irish President Mary Robinson and Richard Goldstone, the former chief prosecutor for Yugoslavia and Rwanda."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carolaa

• phkrause

• Woody

• Neil D

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still chuckling about this little quote that I posted earlier - it's by a Republican, even.

"The long history of bipartisan Congressional support for Israel led former Secretary of State James Baker to call the Congress 'The Little Knesset' after Israel's Knesset (parliament) in Jerusalem."

OK, so this week Iran rebuffed Obama's overture by saying they are not interested in talking until they see signs of real change by his administration. The biggest hurdle happens to be our unequivocal support of their enemy, Israel.

I wish their response had been different, but I can't blame them too much. I doubt we would do any differently were the situation reversed. So far they have seen a lot of lip service and not much significant change. I hope they will be patient and reconsider their response - and I hope Obama has patience and doesn't write them off - because I think they could have a lot to contribute to a more positive relationship between our two countries.

No doubt, AIPAC is not in favor of a positive U.S./Iranian relationship, so I'm very curious how Obama will proceed from here.

Quote:

OK, so this week Iran rebuffed Obama's overture by saying they are not interested in talking until they see signs of real change by his administration. The biggest hurdle happens to be our unequivocal support of their enemy, Israel.

I wish their response had been different, but I can't blame them too much. I doubt we would do any differently were the situation reversed. So far they have seen a lot of lip service and not much significant change. I hope they will be patient and reconsider their response - and I hope Obama has patience and doesn't write them off - because I think they could have a lot to contribute to a more positive relationship between our two countries.

No doubt, AIPAC is not in favor of a positive U.S./Iranian relationship, so I'm very curious how Obama will proceed from here.

Are we to dump Israel as an ally because they see them as an enemy.

Wonder how that works in reverse? I wonder which they consider an ally that we see as an enemy they should be willing to dump.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I don't necessarily think we should dump Israel as an ally. But I do think it would be wise if we gave more thoughtful consideration to our unequivocal support of Israel, regardless of the atrocities they commit. I don't see any reason why we can't have a civil relationship with both countries, except I doubt AIPAC will permit it.

• 4 weeks later...

This is from today's Democracy Now! headlines:

"Report: US Will Impose Two-State Settlement

"The Israeli newspaper Yedioth Achronoth is reporting, meanwhile, the Obama administration is prepared to force the Israeli government to accept a two-state peace deal. An unidentified Jewish leader quoted White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel as saying, “In the next four years there is going to be a permanent status arrangement between Israel and the Palestinians on the basis of two states for two peoples, and it doesn’t matter to us at all who is prime minister.” The Obama administration has yet to outline whether the two-state solution it favors would meet minimal Palestinian rights. Previous US-backed proposals would have still left Israel in control of the large West Bank settlement blocs on Palestinian land."

I will be watching with interest to see how this plays out.

This is from today's Democracy Now! headlines:

"Congressional Quarterly: Wiretap Recorded Rep. Harman Promising to Intervene for AIPAC

"Congressional Quarterly is reporting Democratic Congresswoman Jane Harman of California was overheard in 2005 on an NSA wiretap speaking with a suspected Israeli agent. During the call, Harman reportedly said she would lobby the Justice Department to reduce espionage-related charges against two officials of AIPAC, the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee. In exchange for Harman’s help, the suspected Israeli agent reportedly pledged to help lobby Nancy Pelosi to appoint Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee after the 2006 elections. The conversation is said to have been picked up on a court-approved NSA wiretap directed at alleged Israel covert action operations in Washington. Congressional Quarterly reports then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales decided to stop a probe of Harman, because he wanted Harman to be able to help defend the administration’s secret domestic spy program that the New York Times was about to expose."

I found these separate news items to be *quite* interesting.

From today's Democracy Now! headlines:

"Israel’s new foreign minister is claiming the Obama administration will only pursue peace initiatives with the Palestinians if Israel gives its approval. In his first extensive comments since taking office, Avigdor Lieberman said, 'Believe me, America accepts all our decisions.' The Washington Post is reporting the Israeli government is now telling the US it will condition any willingness to enter peace talks with Palestinians on US policy toward Iran. The Israeli government has long advocated military action against Iran."

From today's Yahoo/Reuters:

"Clinton Talks Tough as Iran Says Ready for Meeting"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090422/wl_nm/us_iran_nuclear

Is this astonishing timing, or what?