ClubAdventist is back!

Intelligent Design -- Where do you statnd?

CGMedley

In recognition of the 150th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birthday, the Adventist Review presents a major report on the Intelligent Design controversy. Read it now in this week's issue.

Intelligent Design

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2009-1509&page=18

Evolution: True Science or Dogma?

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2009-1509&page=18

Incredible! Incomprehensible! Unimaginable!

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2009-1509&page=24

• Members

I'll wait till I have it in my hands, thanks anyway.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I stand on the Book of Genesis, as an authorative account of how the earth was created.

thanks,

og

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

I'll wait till I have it in my hands, thanks anyway.

pk

My hands are all over my copy. What's goin' on with the postal service in your area pk?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Very slow and always takes for ever. I guess from what I understand they should receive a bonus. :) I do have it now.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

If you stand on (literal) Genesis, olger, you'll have to reject Intelligent Design, which is a lightly modified form of evolution.

Truth is important

Intelligent Design is very limited in its scope. One of the articles does a good job of explaining that. It is a narrow discipline that allows theistic evolutionists and Biblical creationists to agree on something. The only focus of Intelligent Design is that life is too complex to have designed itself through random mutations and natural evolution. ID does not address issues like the age of the Earth, the Flood or other such hot button items.

Quote:
We could take the position that we don’t care what science says. We could decide that those scientists are hopeless, and we will just appeal to a more open-minded audience. But there are problems with that approach. A friend of mine, who is an evolutionary biologist at a major university, said, “There are many scientists who don’t know what to do with the evidence for evolution, but they are not willing to give up on God.” I see reasons to believe he is right. And we must care about this large group of individuals. Jesus told doubting Thomas that those who have stronger faith would be blessed, but He also cared about Thomas enough to give him evidence to win his trust.

If these scientists openly discuss their doubts about the ruling scientific concept of origins, it could endanger their employment because of the prejudice against creationism in the scientific community. Naturalism is now like a protective wall around science, keeping out any consideration of creation or intelligent design. So how can scientists and others who are searching find the answers to their questions? That protective wall must be broken down to allow free public discussion of naturalism versus design.

The ID movement addresses its chosen, limited issue to increase its chance of weakening the protective wall of naturalism. Trying to attack this wall of union between science and naturalism head-on is not likely to meet with much success. A person running full speed into a big log will only break his bones. But that same person can break up that log with a good wedge and a large hammer. Phillip Johnson, the leading light behind the ID movement, uses this concept to describe a critical goal of ID. The sharp point of a wedge may have a better chance of opening a crack in a solid structure, he says, and this crack can ultimately break the structure apart

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Members

Good point CoAspen.

pk

phkrause

• Moderators

Quote:
ID is not supposed to answer questions about the earths age and events on it. That is an other question/hypothesis.

But ID *cannot* happen in a short time, because it requires evolution. If you understand ID at all, you cannot believe in both it and a short history of life on earth.

Truth is important

Actually there are young, earth creationists that are active in the Intelligent Design movement. The scope of Intelligent Design is very limited. Coaspen's response to my statement actually reinforces the statement it seems he is disagreeing with. There are theistic evolutionists, agnostics and young-earth creationists all involved in the Intelligent Design movement. ID does not address the age of the Earth, rocks, fossils or any such hot-button issues. It studies the complexity of life. That is its focus. ID is a real science because it is observable, repeatable and measurable.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

If you are reducing Intelligent Design to the statement 'life is too complex to have arisen from the evolutionary mechanism alone', then I guess what you say is true.

But the mainstream Intelligent Design movement *has8 to say something about the age of the earth, because it is basically evolutionary. Read up on it - in scientific publications, not creationist web sites - and you will see that ID involves millions of years of evolution, divinely directed. *That* is what is being advocated to be taught in schools and universities.

Now, a lot of people on all sides of the debate recognise that as an entry wedge, intended to make room for creationism. But I think it's disingenuous to claim to be a supporter of Intelligent Design when what you support is something quite different to the 'science' that is usually understood by that term.

And, um, in what sense is it repeatable? Can we humans now create the DNA that will create an eye, or any of the other examples of irreducible complexity ID talks about? Nope.

Truth is important

But ID *cannot* happen in a short time, because it requires evolution. If you understand ID at all, you cannot believe in both it and a short history of life on earth. [/quote

(Taylor says) I think that statement leaves out another possibility. If God can create something out of nothing, he can do anything in an instant, or over longer periods of time. Us humans have limits but God does not.

If you stand on (literal) Genesis, olger, you'll have to reject Intelligent Design, which is a lightly modified form of evolution.
Amen.

`oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."