ClubAdventist is back!

Original thoughts forum - one rule only (Or how this all started...)

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

Wouldn't it be refreshing to see a forum that had but one rule - Every post must be the original thoughts of the poster, nothing more, nothing less. That would mean that no post could contain any quoted or paraphrased material from any source or other person, and one wouldn't be able to repeat even themselves.

(Stan, that would conserve bandwidth, in a major way.)

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Sure would, 'cause few people would be able to post.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

If one is to have an online conversation with more than one person, readers need to know to which comment you are responding. The easiest way is to quote a segment. Granted, quoting can be way overdone, especially by some who like to pick apart a paragraph, but in the long run it is useful and lessens the "What is he talking about?" puzzle.

Just MHO,

LynnDel

• Like 1

LD

Quote:
That would mean that no post could contain any quoted or paraphrased material from any source or other person, and one wouldn't be able to repeat even themselves.

That means no quoting from the Bible or EGW either.

I predict such a forum would last...oh, perhaps five minutes...

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Moderators

I dunno - I reckon it's worth a bash as a subforum here. I take your broader point, Tom, and I do think quoting - both of other posters and of external material including the Bible, EGW and various articles from magazines and such - has been abused to some extent.

I think if you're going to have forums with serious Bible study it's sometimes necessary to quote a verse or two that you're studying, but we can assume everyone here has a Bible (or access to Bible Gateway) and can look up texts it we just give the references.

The quotes I object to most is the use of quotations as a weapon...

But I dunno Stan - what say you to the idea of a new 'Original Thoughts' subforum?

Truth is important

• Moderators

It does sound like it would be worth a try - go for it. What would be the punishment if someone breaks the rule? And how picky would that rule be? Would we need a code of law that identifies what a quote is and isn't?

LynnDel

LD

Didn't someone say?....There is nothing new under the sun.

That being the case...IMO, it would be nearly impossible to have an original thought.

It does provoke curious interest so perhaps Tom can give an illustration. Can you, Tom?

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

Proper reference to someone elses material is a natural form of sharing knowledge. No man is an island. Today's innovative gadget is a result of someone elses curiosity and research in the past.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Wouldn't it be refreshing to see a forum that had but one rule - Every post must be the original thoughts of the poster, nothing more, nothing less. That would mean that no post could contain any quoted or paraphrased material from any source or other person, and one wouldn't be able to repeat even themselves.

(Stan, that would conserve bandwidth, in a major way.)

Can I quote you on this? OR is that against the rules?

I do understand your point. Sometimes I see such volumes of quotes. And often times they have nothing to do with the subject.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

What about other subsection.... where people can only speak using quotes of other people? Or only use 3 words and have to complete sentence that other start? Kind of like "Who's line is it anyway?".

• Moderators

We had a 'five words' thread on another forum I participate in, and that was fun.

Truth is important

fccool, that 3 words idea sounds like a good idea for a thread, but not a whole forum.

An original thought doesn't have to be something no one else has ever thought of before. It just has to be something we've never heard or read somewhere, the result of long (or not so long) thought on some matter that interests us, or that we are wondering about. It can make for a very good discussion, if someone else is interested in the same ideas. Personally, I have trouble finding anyone interested in discussing most of the things I wonder and think about.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Didn't someone say?....There is nothing new under the sun.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Ecclesiastes 1:9 NIV

Good thought, ChildofChrist, and you wouldn't have been able to include that if participating in Tom's forum thread. Nor would I have been able to refer to your thought. In fact to follow that one rule would be like the next post I'm submitting to Tom of which no one else would be able to duplicate since it came from my thought first.

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

The reply was blank and wouldn't post so I'm assuming somebody already tried to post that thought. spin

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Nup. Neither of you read the one rule. It was 'no quoting'. It was *not* 'thoughts that have never been voiced in the history of the world ever'.

Truth is important

• Moderators

I like that idea of having a 3-word or 5-word thread. Challenging conciseness is always good for the brain.

Or maybe, to flex the idea of a no-quote thread, you could only quote a maximum of five words from someone else in your entire post. Instead of a NaNoWriMo* project, we would have a FiveQuoNoMo thread or forum.

LynnDel

*National Novel Writing Month that happens every November.

LD

The title of this would then be called 'snippets' which at one point on this forum was a bad name.

I believe in Hematology.

It would be refreshing to see this.. not "I will let EGW explain to you what I think" (and I remain a fan of EGW) or "I will let me Church explain to you what I believe"

Just my thoughts

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

Here are some of my thoughts on the why of the matter and what prompted this idea, even though I suspect by comments here so far that my reasons are fairly obvious.

First, you have to understand something about me. I really like new and novel ideas and thoughts. I like new experiences, making new discoveries, learning and expanding the world between my ears. I seldom like to reread a book or repeat watching a movie, unless it is really, really good and I think I have forgotten much of it. I also don't like to have to repeat myself.

Second, I have grown very weary of logging on here and doing my usual check of the active topics only to discover dozens of new( reyes) posts that have nothing new in them, and new( reyes) topics that have already been pounded into the ground already, even recently, or multiple topics about the same topic in which the same people are repeating what they posted in the other same topics. 98% of what is posted in some of the seemingly most active topics is a virtual avalanche of post after post of nothing but quotes of previous posts, long collections of EGW quotes, lists of Bible verses, or the same 2 or 3 posters repeating the same things they have said, and what others have already said, for the last 30 pages of the topic, and often the same thing they always say, no matter what the topic. I either have to rapidly skim through to glean for any new thoughts on the topic or give up and move to another topic.

Would you buy a book or magazine or watch a movie that showed that utter lack of creativity or originality? Do you like hearing the same sermon at church, week after week? Do you like to have conversations with people that repeat the same old stories and jokes, or that repeat everything everyone else is saying?

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Would you buy a book or magazine or watch a movie that showed that utter lack of creativity or originality?

So, um, Tom....you are asking us to ....THINK? thinking

....and not hide behind the skirts of EGW....??? tomato

You realize that that thread wouldn't have much in it, don'tcha? ZZzz

How do you expect to maintain bandwidth here???? duno

[/tic]

backtopic

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Administrators

Yep! Those who cannot think for themselves and express their own thoughts need not attend this gathering.

Imagine actually having to think! It's a think tank sort of thing.

As for being a place with not much in it... Hmmmmm, my point is that at least you wouldn't have to waste time wading through thousands of words to discover there is nothing here.

Silence is an opportunity to think. If people think, they might actually have something signifcant to say when they do break silence.

Good Suggestion Tom.

I think this idea will make this a much better place to visit.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Here is what I would envision for this sort of forum.

When I say no quotes or repeating, there would be no exceptions.

One would hope that participants would understand the premise so there would need to be little moderator enforcement. But, the moderation would be simple. Quotes and repeated thoughts would be deleted. Added topics covering the same ground as one already started would be deleted.

Teachers know of and use software to detect plagerism, including bad attempts at paraphrasing published works. That sort of thing could be helpful.

As for nothing new under the sun... Oh, really!?!? I wonder if Solomon if he came to life today would offer the same bit of wisdom? Even Rip Van Winkle discovered that things had changed during his 20 year sleep. You see, we let these quips and sayings flow forth without really thinking about them.

Which brings me to how it would be refreshing to use old ideas. Come up with a new way of saying things you've heard before. Think and speak creatively. Say it in your own words with maybe even some value added. But it is going to have to pass the most aggressive plagerism filter. Do you like that quote from EGW? Figure out a way of expressing the idea she conveyed in 21st century English and applications that fit a contemporary context.

For example, take the familar EGW quote, "to be thinkers, and not mere reflectors of other men's thought." Isn't that what I have been saying? No real need to repeat it.

Or a less familiar EGW quote:

Quote:
While it is perfectly right to gather ideas from other minds, they should not be satisfied to take those ideas and repeat them in a poll-parrot manner. Make these ideas your own, brethren; frame the arguments yourselves, from your own study and research. Do not borrow the productions of other men's brains and pens, and recite them as a lesson; but make the most of the talents, the brain power, that God has given you.--RH Apr. 6, 1886.

Yep, in other words I said that already...

Carry on!

• Members

So Tom I guess your the first to go against your own rule!!! hahahahahahahaha

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}