ClubAdventist is back!

"Pearls Before Swine"

Key Guy

From Alibi.com, Albuquerque NM

http://www.alibi.com/index.php?scn=feature&di=&story=27489

(long article... begins online)

Quote:
In the Beginning ...

According to the group's archived writings—provided to the Alibi by Jeff Bent, who is Wayne Bent’s son—Strong City's origins are in Idaho. Bent and a group of followers had disassociated themselves from the Seventh Day Adventist Church and formed their own church called Lord Our Righteousness. By all accounts, Bent had to that point led a typical American life. He spent two years in the Navy Reserve, got married and had three children. In 1967 he converted to Christianity. Bent graduated from Loma Linda University with a master’s degree in religion and became a minister, serving as pastor for a Seventh Day Adventist Church in California until 1982. From 1982 through 1987, he and fellow pastors David Mead, John Whitcomb and Richard Roos conducted seminars they called “Life Supports,” developed during Bent’s tenure as a pastor.

Following a split between the pastors, Bent and several congregation members retreated to a rural property near Sandpoint, Idaho. According to Bent, vandalism and increasing hostility toward the group—who dress modestly and adhere to a strict vegetarian diet—prompted them to look for a new home. In the spring of 2000 they traded their Idaho property for a ranch in Northern New Mexico.

(much more online)

The thing that fascinates me here, is how do seemingly intelligent people get caught up in these movements?

I mean no offense to anyone that is in these groups, but these are Adventists, they should know that this man is not the Messiah.

I think of Koresh as well.

Is it a powerful delusion of the enemy they fall into?

One of the most basic truths we have as a people is the manner of Jesus' coming.

Is it really that easy for the enemy to confuse us?

Twilight?

The best wisdom is always second hand...

The same could be said for the whole SDA church. How do normal-appearing people get caught up in a belief system that uses extra-biblical sources to create a unique theology that doesn't agree with the bible, and then have to have whole committee's and work-groups to explain how they "do" agree with the bible but it still doesn't make sense from a biblical viewpoint.

Only when you pull in the extra-biblical source and use her as the infallible interpreter does the SDA theology "make sense". But, of course it still doesn't.

"You may not agree with everyone. But if you are an honest man, when someone says something you disagree with it’ll drive you to the Word. If you find out that you were wrong and change your thinking then you are the better for it. If you go to the Word and find out that you were right then you have been strengthened. But either way always go to the Word!!” Billye Brim

Which of the 28 Fundamentals don't "make sense" Haldog?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Hint: ALL SDA doctrine is established "sola scriptura" in ALL of our evangelistic studies with non-SDAs. We never argue "and this doctrine comes from some extra-biblical source that you must first accept so that you will have a basis for believing it".

As much as that straw man is "imagined" by non-SDAs it is pure fiction. AND it is also very useful - because when we come across serious non-SDA bible students who have been misinformed to the point of believing that SDA doctrines do NOT rely on "sola scriptura" studies -- wow are they in for a totally unsuspected surprise, and because of their prior misdirection they have nothing to refute the Bible presentation that we make!

And we have those non-SDA straw men to thank for it! bwink

Perhaps we should be paying them.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

HEY HALDOG

yes any of the bible truths that the Seventh Day

Adventist Church teaches can be proven from the

bible

dgrimm60

While I agree with you dgrimm ... it is only fair to say that the Baptists and many other denominations can say the same thing. It is all in the eye of the beholder. We call it interpretation.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I have to agree with dgrimm more than you Redwood on this issue. Yes I agree that other churches are also interpreting the Bible. But where I have my problem with them, is the same problem I have with people taking EGW out of context. So they can make it say what they want.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Okay ... I don't mind being disagreed with. Ha Ha.

I am not taking sides. I am simply pointing out that the Baptists will say the same thing. We might disagree with their interpretation. But that is what it is ... disagrement.

Regarding this:

Quote:
So they can make it say what they want.

I do have to strongly disagree. I find that most Christians are sincere students of the Bible. They just read and interpret differently.

But to say that someone purposely twists the Bible .... I find to be a harsh judgment.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I guess I didn't mean it to sound the way it sounded. What I meant was, if you look at Acts where God gives peter a dream about eating unclean food, most churches look at that and say it means we can now eat pork. Completely taking it out of context or making it read as they want it to say. When taken in context its talking about bringing the message to the gentiles. That's what I wanted to say. So if I messed up I apologies Redwood.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

pk and dgrimm ...

Hey, I agree with both of you.

Some may take things out of context ... but I just believe most are sincerely deceived rather than making the Bible say what they want.

Like I said ... I find most to be honestly seeking God. Just mistaken.

I believe in Hematology.

The thing that fascinates me here, is how do seemingly intelligent people get caught up in these movements?

I mean no offense to anyone that is in these groups, but these are Adventists, they should know that this man is not the Messiah.

One of the most basic truths we have as a people is the manner of Jesus' coming.

Twilight?

Twi...

The only answer I can think of is that Satan adds to a deception when people are WILLING to be deceived. The worst possible blindness is self-imposed where folks simply WANT a belief to be truth.

We see evidences of self-imposed deceit every day. People WANT to believe the souls of the dead are in heaven, they WANT to believe Sunday is the Sabbath, they WANT to believe the temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem.

If you do not 'knock' and 'seek' with an open mind, God will not reward you with the truth. As a result, closed minded people go down the same path as Pharaoh when his son was finally killed in the last plague from God.

This is why the unthinkable acts of hatred on true Sabbath-keepers will be acceptable to the masses in the last days. The Holy Spirit will stand rejection only so long.

I wonder what it is that draws people to these men though.

If you consider how difficult it can be to share the gospel with many in our society, yet these folks seemingly have no problem gathering quite a following.

I hear there is someone claiming to be Jesus in South America at the moment, whose followers number in the millions!

Wow...

There is obviously reasons why we can be controlled like this. Your view may well be a strong part of that, but I cannot but help think there is more to it than that.

Although, I am not sure what that "more" is. :-)

Twilight

In my study this morning:

The great truths necessary for salvation are made as clear as noonday; and none will mistake and lose their way except those who follow their own judgment instead of the plainly revealed will of God

We should not take the testimony of any man as to what the Scriptures teach, but should study the words of God for ourselves. If we allow others to do our thinking, we shall have crippled energies and contracted abilities. The noble powers of the mind may be so dwarfed by lack of exercise on themes worthy of their concentration as to lose their ability to grasp the deep meaning of of the word of God.

It goes on.... (Chapter 10, "A Knowledge of God")

In my study this morning:

Originally Posted By: Steps to Christ
The great truths necessary for salvation are made as clear as noonday; and none will mistake and lose their way except those who follow their own judgment instead of the plainly revealed will of God

We should not take the testimony of any man as to what the Scriptures teach, but should study the words of God for ourselves. If we allow others to do our thinking, we shall have crippled energies and contracted abilities. The noble powers of the mind may be so dwarfed by lack of exercise on themes worthy of their concentration as to lose their ability to grasp the deep meaning of of the word of God.

It goes on.... (Chapter 10, "A Knowledge of God")

Thank you for the quote. :-)

It is a valuable reminder.

Twilight

And the point in the quote is "What is necessary for SALVATION" and the Sabbath etc are not necesarily necessary.

I believe in Hematology.

And the point in the quote is "What is necessary for SALVATION" and the Sabbath etc are not necesarily (sic) necessary.

What was Mrs White referring to as 'necessary'?

Originally Posted By: Twilight

Twilight?

Twi...

The only answer I can think of is that Satan adds to a deception when people are WILLING to be deceived. The worst possible blindness is self-imposed where folks simply WANT a belief to be truth.

We see evidences of self-imposed deceit every day. People WANT to believe the souls of the dead are in heaven, they WANT to believe Sunday is the Sabbath, they WANT to believe the temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem.

If you do not 'knock' and 'seek' with an open mind, God will not reward you with the truth. As a result, closed minded people go down the same path as Pharaoh when his son was finally killed in the last plague from God.

This is why the unthinkable acts of hatred on true Sabbath-keepers will be acceptable to the masses in the last days. The Holy Spirit will stand rejection only so long.

good stuff.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Satan is not called 'The Deceiver' because he is not good at it! So tell me please, name the 'apostles who called themselves apostles' and were put to a test and were found to be false apostles--as found in Rev. 2:2? Oh, and can anyone tell me what the test is? Perhaps we should use this same test to keep from being deceived.

Blessings,

Dr. Rich