ClubAdventist is back!

Earth Day's Dirty Little Secret

Ira Einhorn, Earth Day's Dirty Secret

By Ken Anderson

Apr 22, 2006

http://www.magic-city-news.com/Editor_s_Desk_34/Ira_Einhorn_Earth_Day_s_Dirty_Secret_57095709.shtml

You won't find Ira Einhorn's name listed in any of the Earth Day promotional literature, as the organizers have taken great pains to distance themselves from this man, at least since he became better known for composting his girlfriend in a trunk in his closet for a couple of years in the late 1970s.

Earth Day organizers and publicists don't want to have anything to do with Ira these days. Since he was convicted of murder, he hasn't been very useful to them. But that wasn't always the case. In 1970, during the first Earth Day event, which was televized throughout the globe, Ira Einhorn was on stage as master of ceremonies.

Or so he claims, and it seems likely that he was.

A friend and contemporary of Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin, and acquaintance of authors Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Timothy Leary, Alvin Toffler, and Isaac Asimov, Einhorn held the floor for a half hour, during the first Earth Day celebration, in Philadelphia, kissing Edmund Muskie on the lips before surrendering the microphone to the Senator from Maine. There is no evidence that Muskie rejected his advances, or that anyone associated with the event had ever voiced any disagreement with Einhorn's place as a key organizer until after his arrest for the murder of Holly Maddux.

Ira Einhorn knew all of the right people. Executives from Sun Oil and AT&T showered him with support, financial and otherwise. Ira Einhorn was the man who could make Earth Day happen as, it seems, he did, denials notwithstanding.

Due in large part to his influence, Einhorn escaped punishment for his crime for a quarter of a century.

After bludgeoning his girlfriend of five years to death, fracturing her skull in a dozen places, Ira stuffed her body into a trunk, which he packed into a closet where it remained until discovered by the police nearly two years later.

When Holly Maddux disappeared in the fall of 1977, Einhorn was named as a suspect by the girl's parents, who knew that Einhorn had threatened their daughter with violence. Yet, after briefly questioning him, while the body of his murdered girlfriend lie decomposing in a trunk stored in a closet of his apartment, police accepted his denial of any knowledge of her whereabouts.

When she failed to reappear, the murdered girl's parents hired an investigator who very quickly came up with sufficient evidence for a warrant to search Einhorn's apartment. A downstairs neighbor told of a liquid leaking from Einhorn's apartment into the kitchen below, describing it as being dark in color and smelling of putrefaction. He also testified to hearing a scream, as well as "several sharp thuds", at the time of Holly's disappearance.

When the private investigator presented this evidence to the police, they finally obtained a search warrant, which was served on March 29, 1978.

The battered and partly mummified body of Holly Maddux was found in a trunk in a bedroom closet, packed in styrofoam, newspaper, and air fresheners.

Arrested, Einhorn's attorney was considering a run for the Senate. His name was Arlen Spector, of Pennsylvania. The darling of New Age society, politicians, Ivy League professors, and corporate executives alike, Einhorn had no shortage of friends during his bail hearing. With his great love for the earth, surely Ira would not have murdered anyone. Released on a mere $40,000 bail, of which he had to pay only ten percent, Einhorn fled to Sweden, remaining as a fugitive in Europe until 1997, when he was found living in France under another name.

While a fugitive, Einhorn was convicted in absentia in 1993, and sentenced to life in prison. The government of France, however, refused to extradite Einhorn unless the death penalty was taken off the table and he was promised a new trial. Eventually, this was agreed upon. Ira Einhorn, the founder of Earth Day, was once again convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Today, we celebrate Earth Day, sacrosanct, proclaimed by none other than our Republican President George Bush, and every president since 1975, when President Ford first proclaimed and urged observance of Earth Day on the March equinox.

We're living in a time where wacky is in, and life doesn't mean very much.

While it is likely that Einhorn's violent history is not shared by other Earth Day founders, the observance is nevertheless bizarre.

Underlying the themes of Earth Day is a call for mankind to align itself with nature, and against itself, enlisting human beings to take part in a battle that seeks to place humanity under the control of an enlightened elite, one that values the interests of nature above that of people.

The process of our destruction is termed sustainable development, a destructive scheme that is in direct opposition to Christianity, which holds that man is to have dominion over nature, which is given to us for our use.

Ira Einhorn took the life of one woman, while the movement that he had a hand in founding seeks to steal the life from all of us.

Ira Einhorn, Master of Ceremonies, Earth Day Rally on Belmont Plateau in Fairmount Park, Apr. 22, 1970. Maicher, Michael J., photographer. This image and many other images are available in Temple's Archival Collections Database.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

eday.jpg

I am not so sure of that. I remember the coverage on this and when it was on American Justice. Claims are that he has been sanitized from any connection

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Einhorn

Einhorn was active in ecological groups and was an icon of the counterculture, anti-establishment and anti-war movements of the 1960s and 1970s. At one time, he was a friend and contemporary of Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman. He also claimed to have been instrumental in creating Earth Day in 1970, and during the first Earth Day event, which was televised globally, Ira Einhorn was on stage as master of ceremonies, although other event organizers dispute his account.[1] He was known to some of his friends as "the Unicorn" because the name Einhorn (a German-Jewish name) means "unicorn".

• Moderators

Guilt by association. Are we meant to assume that observing Earth Day will cause us to kill our girlfriends?

Truth is important

Guilt by association. Are we meant to assume that observing Earth Day will cause us to kill our girlfriends?

As dgrimm did not post anything about killing your girlfriends I assume this was not directed at him

If you want to draw that conclusion that is up to you. You draw many conclusions and rarely are you right.

Nothing was said or implied. You are the one making implications again.

It is earth day as I am sure you know.

When this hit the news I had followed the story fairly closely.

Not because of earth day but because it was rather bizarre to think of someone that appeared to be so concerned about the earth but he takes a hammer to the head of his girlfriend.

May be if time permits I can find the type of articals that will relate directly to you or others here. It will really give you something to run with.

You will not even have to add a little spice

• Moderators

OK, no assumptions on my part then. What is the 'take away' message we are meant to get from reading this article? You tell me.

Truth is important

OK, no assumptions on my part then. What is the 'take away' message we are meant to get from reading this article? You tell me.

You may not like it but most people know I don't play those kind of silly games. You may not like blunt statements but I don't like implications or innuendo.

Had I meant for you to take this on a personal level I would have had said so.

There was something on TV that my husband was watching and this was on. Had not thought of it for a longtime, the same was he or wasn't he was being discussed.

I looked it up and posted it as it was earth day. Do you need to "take away" something from each post or article that is posted?

If I have something to say to you or a comparison to actions by you,You won't need to guess.

Heh. Right. 'Earth Day's Dirty Little Secret' has zero agenda.

Do you really think it was meant to draw a comparison between earth day and those that hit their girlfriends upside the head with a hammer or whatever he used.

I didn't write the title. I did not look at the title as a way to take a poke at any that believe the global warming etc.

I would tell you. I would not beat around the bush.