ClubAdventist is back!

Are We Ready For N. Korea? Yes, says Army Chief: US IS Able

John317

• Moderators

Army chief: US able to fight NKorea if necessary

AP – FILE - In this May 12, 2009, file photo, Army Chief of Staff Gen. George

By ANNE GEARAN, Associated Press Writer – Thu May 28, 8:09 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The United States could fight an old-fashioned war against North Korea if necessary, even while newer forms of conflict against terrorists and extremists continue, the Army's top officer said Thursday.

Asked whether the United States would be prepared to fight if war broke out between South Korea and North Korea, Gen. George Casey replied, "The short answer is yes," then added that "it would probably take us a little bit longer to shift gears" away from the type of counterinsurgency fighting that now occupies the Army.

Casey said his usual rubric for how long it would take the Army to gear up for a new "conventional" war is about 90 days. That doesn't mean it would take 90 days for the U.S. to effectively fight the North's million-man army, he said.

"We'd move forces as rapidly as we could get them prepared," Casey said during an appearance at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

North Korea has threatened war following condemnation of its underground nuclear test this week, and the United States has a long-term commitment to South Korea's defense.

"This is a combat-seasoned force" that can pivot quickly, Casey said.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking to reporters as he traveled to the Far East for a conference with defense ministers, said North Korea's actions have not reached a crisis level that would warrant additional U.S. troops in the region.

"What we do have, though, are two new developments that are very provocative, that are aggressive, accompanied by very aggressive rhetoric," Gates said. "And I think it brings home the reality of the challenge that North Korea poses to the region and to the international community."

Casey, the Army's chief of staff, suggested that war with the nuclear-armed North might not be the old-style land war that U.S. forces stationed in South Korea were envisioned to fight. He did not elaborate, but he was presumably referring to the possibility that the North might use or threaten to use its proven nuclear capability.

Casey focused on his plans to rearrange the Army around the "reality scenario" of sustained counterterrorism conflict. The reality of permanent war means the United States should have 10 Army brigades and Marine Corps regiments available for overseas conflict worldwide, he said.

"It's not just Iraq and Afghanistan," Casey said. Including Iraq in his contingency planning is not to say that the United States won't honor its agreement with Iraq to pull forces from the country by 2012, he said.

"We will execute the draw down plan that has been executed between our governments," he said.

"I don't know that anyone knows what the security relationship and force level will be, if there are any, in Iraq," after the scheduled withdrawal of combat forces," he added. "That's very much to be determined."

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

I don't think that anyone in the US is insane enough to fight North Korea. That's one of the reasons why Iran is trying to get nuclear weapons... for leverage sake. If Iran did have nuclear weapons, there would be more careful consideration of the consequences of possible war/attack.

North Korea is not afraid to use nuclear weapons and does use it as leverage. Plus, another war for US would mean further economy downturn and even further national debt.

So, as I've said... all of that is just military mudslinging.

• Members

If he doesn't I do. And the first place they will sent those missles is 1-Israel, and 2-America, especially where the most jews live, NYC and Florida. Personally I don't think that they will get that far.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

If he doesn't I do. And the first place they will sent those missles is 1-Israel, and 2-America, especially where the most jews live, NYC and Florida. Personally I don't think that they will get that far.

pk

They could catch Israel napping but I doubt it. I do expect them to Israel to go after the nuke facilities in Iran before they have the capabilites of destroying Israel

I think if they do they will be condemned by many while they draw a sigh of relief that someone did it

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Members

Absolutely, Israel will not allow Iran to get to where they can do that. I believe that they are keeping a close watch on the situation.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

pk

PK, fear breeds irrationality. No matter how "insane" you think the other people are, they still value life enough not to do what you say they will.

Remember the nuclear crisis between US and Soviet Union. Both sides were portraying the "lunacy" of the opponent. Nothing came out of it, because I don't think there is anyone insane enough to pull the trigger on millions of people, including their own.

Quote:

PK, fear breeds irrationality. No matter how "insane" you think the other people are, they still value life enough not to do what you say they will.

Remember the nuclear crisis between US and Soviet Union. Both sides were portraying the "lunacy" of the opponent. Nothing came out of it, because I don't think there is anyone insane enough to pull the trigger on millions of people, including their own.

Little difference between Russia and the US. North Korea/Iran is not dealing with the US of a few years ago.

They are dealing with a US that has apologized profusely to all terrorists and communist countries that the president has come into contact with. Israel has been warned by the US do not take out the nukes of Iran. We will speak sternly to them as we will do to North Korea while they do their best to destroy the Jewish people of Israel.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

Absolutely, Israel will not allow Iran to get to where they can do that. I believe that they are keeping a close watch on the situation.

pk

Be prepared for Israel to take out the Iranian nuclear facilities. The US will do the same to Korea if it looks like Korea is a danger to the US mainland.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Do you really believe Iran intends to make nuclear weapons?

Wake up. Iran is already building facilities that look from the air like the nuclear facilities and launch pads in North Korea. If it looks to Israel that Iran will have nukes in a short time unless Israel and the US acts to stop it, Israel will take them out if the US won't. That is guaranteed. There is no way Israel can allow Iran to have them.

• Members

Well I disagree with you, but I don't think anything will happen. Because before Iran can do anything, Israel will take them out, and as far as Korea, I think on that you are probably correct.

pk

phkrause

• Moderators

Please post references for this.

And is this a permanent position of the US or is it temporary, or until we are ready to talk them.

Do you believe Obama wants to go down as the president that allowed Iran to gain nuclear weapons? Will Obama sit idly by while this happens? Should be?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=91547&sectionid=351020104

US warns Israel against attack on Iran

Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:17:15 GMT

The US Defense Secretary Robert Gates

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has cautioned Israel against launching a military attack on Iran to halt its nuclear program.

Gates who was speaking to a group of Marine Corps students in Washington said that any Israeli attack on Iran will have dangerous consequences, The Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

Gates noted that a strike against Iran would only delay Iran's nuclear program one to three years and it would further commit the Iranian nation to develop its nuclear program.

An attack on Iran would "cement their determination to have a nuclear program, and also build into the whole country an undying hatred of whoever hits them," the US official noted.

Gate's comments come amid speculations that Israel might attack Iran's nuclear facilities to halt its nuclear program.

The new Israeli government led by hawkish politician Benjamin Netanyahu has voiced its commitment to stop Iran's nuclear program, even through a military attack.

• Members

Thanks for the link. But I wonder if this is not just the USA making an effort to appease the Iranians, and knowing that if things progress there that Israel will do what's needed as they have in the past. Even all the other Arab countries will be glad but of course wont say that out loud.

pk

phkrause

Thanks for the link. But I wonder if this is not just the USA making an effort to appease the Iranians, and knowing that if things progress there that Israel will do what's needed as they have in the past. Even all the other Arab countries will be glad but of course wont say that out loud.

pk

Nothing like making it widely known that the US really is powerless. I am sure they know Israel will do it if necessary,but the administration will have clean hands

Originally Posted By: carolaa
Do you really believe Iran intends to make nuclear weapons?

Wake up. Iran is already building facilities that look from the air like the nuclear facilities and launch pads in North Korea. If it looks to Israel that Iran will have nukes in a short time unless Israel and the US acts to stop it, Israel will take them out if the US won't. That is guaranteed. There is no way Israel can allow Iran to have them.

Personally, I'm not convinced Iran is trying to have nuclear weapons. I don't believe they are that stupid, and I don't think they are anywhere close to having the capability. I rather think it's a big show by Israel, trying to drag us into a war with Iran. Israel is our ally, so if they go to war with Iran, we will have to follow them like sheep. The tail wagging the dog, as usual. Here we are trying to improve relations with Iran, and Israel isn't about to stand for it.

• Moderators

Originally Posted By: John317

Wake up. Iran is already building facilities that look from the air like the nuclear facilities and launch pads in North Korea. If it looks to Israel that Iran will have nukes in a short time unless Israel and the US acts to stop it' date=' Israel will take them out if the US won't. That is guaranteed. There is no way Israel can allow Iran to have them.

Personally, I'm not convinced Iran is trying to have nuclear weapons. [/quote']

What kind of evidence do you need? What would convince you?

Quote:
I don't believe they are that stupid,

Some people thought the same thing about Japan. Some thought the same about Saddam. Others thought the same about Hitler. You just never know how stupid people are, especially a government that is run by religious extremists. Or political extremists, such as North Korea. Wouldn't you say the North Korean government is being rather stupid? Starving their people so they can have nuclear weapons?

Quote:
and I don't think they are anywhere close to having the capability.

Check this out and see if you think it's all just someone's imagination or made up--

http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2009_rpt/iran.html

• Moderators

I have gone through the issue several times here in the past. Iran can't even enrich uranium yet in quantity to the 3% or so necessary for peaceful power purposes. They're *years* away from the 97% or so needed for weapons.

Truth is important

I thought it was we who used the bomb on Japan.....oh, I guess you're talking about Pearl Harbor.....ok.

And Saddam? Was there ever any WMD evidence proven against him?

Hitler? Crazy and power hungry - yes. Stupid - doubtful.

As far as North Korea, I think what they are doing to their own people is awful. On the other hand, they have basically said that they can see what the U.S. is doing in Iraq, and they are making sure that doesn't happen to them. So in that respect, it's not too stupid what they are doing.

Back to Iran...that's a great report, thanks for sharing it. I knew a lot of it already, but it helped to clarify things. I can see better how Iran's past secretiveness and uncooperation is causing worldwide distrust. Perhaps they too see what we are doing in Iraq and want to make sure it doesn't happen to them. OK, so they have not abided 100% by the NPT, but then neither have we. Yet we are presuming to correct them. We have a lot of fence mending to do with Iran, beyond the issue of nuclear power, before we dare presume to correct them.

I don't really buy the argument that if Iran gets nuclear weapons, it will make surrounding countries want to get them too. The fact is that Israel already has nuclear weapons, and I would think that would be more of a reason for surrounding countries to want their own, moreso than Iran having them.

I thought it was we who used the bomb on Japan.....oh, I guess you're talking about Pearl Harbor.....ok.

And Saddam? Was there ever any WMD evidence proven against him?

Hitler? Crazy and power hungry - yes. Stupid - doubtful.

As far as North Korea, I think what they are doing to their own people is awful. On the other hand, they have basically said that they can see what the U.S. is doing in Iraq, and they are making sure that doesn't happen to them. So in that respect, it's not too stupid what they are doing.

Back to Iran...that's a great report, thanks for sharing it. I knew a lot of it already, but it helped to clarify things. I can see better how Iran's past secretiveness and uncooperation is causing worldwide distrust. Perhaps they too see what we are doing in Iraq and want to make sure it doesn't happen to them. OK, so they have not abided 100% by the NPT, but then neither have we. Yet we are presuming to correct them. We have a lot of fence mending to do with Iran, beyond the issue of nuclear power, before we dare presume to correct them.

I don't really buy the argument that if Iran gets nuclear weapons, it will make surrounding countries want to get them too. The fact is that Israel already has nuclear weapons, and I would think that would be more of a reason for surrounding countries to want their own, moreso than Iran having them.

Just curious. Is there anything that the US has done right? I was always pretty sure Japan attacked the US.

Perhaps Hitler should have been left alone. What a travisty that Saddam can no longer entertain himself with putting people in a shredder and other fun things

Just curious. Is there anything that the US has done right? I was always pretty sure Japan attacked the US.

Isn't that what I just said? Not sure what your point is.

Perhaps Hitler should have been left alone. What a travisty that Saddam can no longer entertain himself with putting people in a shredder and other fun things

And what does any of that have to do with being stupid?

Originally Posted By: bonnie

And what does any of that have to do with being stupid?

I think you didn't read the preceding posts very thoroughly. The theme had to do with nuclear weapons and whether or not Iran is stupid enough to be making them. That led to the idea that people didn't believe other leaders throughout history were stupid enough to do certain things, and yet they did them. One example was Japan. I replied that it was we who used nuclear weapons against Japan - even though I was pretty sure he was really referring to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor and that many people didn't think Japan would be stupid enough to attack the U.S.