ClubAdventist is back!

Tower of Babel

Gail

• Administrators

Have you ever pondered just what a task it was for God to change one language at the tower of Babel into the varied languages of the world?

Languages are complex. It takes a long time to learn one well. And He meted out multiple languages in just one day!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldsailor29

• carolaa

• Dr. Rich

• teresaq

• Members

I'm not sure it was a big task for God. But I understand what you mean.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I wonder just how many languages it was at the first count.

You know some languages have evolved in recent history.

It's like how many actual animals went into the ark and how many have divided off since that time.

There would be the latin language, the asian languages, the slavic type language.

• Administrators

Right, and the Germanic and Scandinavian, etc.

It would be easier for us if some of them were phonetic, like Esperanto, but I think that Esperanto is a human creation. God really meant business when he divided up the languages!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing that the combined intellect of multiple highly talented human beings is what it takes for us to accomplish even minor tasks (in God's eyes) and how He effortlessly matches and surpasses those talents by infinite times. All He did was have a multitude of angels touch a few individuals and their language was changed! Amazing. :)

For Him who created the tongue, and Who brought forth plants and aminals with but Words?

Seems to me a simple Word would have been enough for Him to create the incredible complexities of the different language groups we see today.

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

The languages likely caused the people to break into the various people groups that went out and inhabited the world. These groups would have migrated to various geographical locations. I think of groups like Egyptians (Africa), Mesopotamians (Middle East), Indus (India/Pakistan), Pre-Minoans (Europe), Carales (America), Longshan (China), Aborigines (Australia).

The Tower of Babel happened about 100 years after the Flood. That was well into the ice age. The sea level was lower which allowed for people groups to move out and inhabit the continents much easier than they could have done post-ice-age.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

If God were to change your language today, like He did to people at the Tower, you would not be immediatly aware of the change. Unless God left some sort of memory of your former language; But I dont think He would do that. God never reprograms our mind without us knowing and agreeing to any change. It's always a cooperative effort. For God to do otherwise would be changing our identity, killing one person to create another. Ofcourse, God would never do that. An intelligent being is so important, sacred, precious, (I cant come up with the best word here)that He died so that you and I could stay in existance. The Creator doesnt create frivilously.

At the Tower of Babel everyone had the same language. Did the original language survive? If so,maybe Abraham spoke it and if so, Hebrew would be close to what Adam himself spoke and would not that be the language of Heaven?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the story in scripture encapsulates an event that took some years to transpire; it only reads to us today as happening instantaneously. And perhaps the story got written in mythic terms to illustrate important principles rather than tell a literal account. Sort of like the parables Jesus told.

Just food for thought.

I do not believe that the change of languages was a gradual process. A decision was made to go down to earth and see first hand the progress that man had made. God pulled the contractor's permit.

One people, one language became many groups and amd many speech patterns. While the 'ancient tongue' may have remained intact and used frequently, it is not important.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

ChildofChrist, really? One people, one language and all with the same DNA became all of the races? Ok, but science will disagree with you on this.

What if God created all of the races in the creation found in Gen. 1 and then created Adam in the creation found after verse 2 of Gen. 2? When reading the Septuagent it sure appears as though this is what really happend, and then God again separated the races at the Tower of Babel. (This is only a theory--I was not there and neither were you.)

I did not say they had the same DNA but they were of one family. Noah was their daddy.Do you believe in the Biblical account of the Great Flood and Noah's ark.

You are correct, neither of us were there at that time.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

some of the same things that were happening before the flood, were also happening afterward. Remember the giants in the land? There were giants in the land after the flood also. The sons of God took the daughters of men for wives again. So the DNA of the fallen angels/sons of God were possibly in the mix at the tower of Babel.

Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw

http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall

I am assuming the flood story has been read.

Sons of God were attracted to daughters of men and their union produced giants. I didn't say any of these giants survived the flood. They didn't. But the fallen angels, sons of God, certainly did. And so did daughters of man. The same thing that occurred before the flood, happened again. The first set of giants didn't escape the flood, and the post flood giants didn't escape the sword of David. But the sons of God are still around, and we can expect them to revisit their sins with modern women before the return of Jesus, and again there will be giants in the land. For as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be before the end. Again I am assuming this is not an unfamiliar text.

I find it *highly* unlikely that "sons of God" is referring to fallen angels. It is more likely referring to godly men, just as that term can be found in numerous places in the Bible referring to godly men. No need to add a bizarre twist to the term.

The Bible does not say that these unions produced giants. It says that the giants were around at the same time when these unions happened.

The "as in the days of Noah" quotation has nothing to do with giants. It is talking about people going about their business as if nothing is going to happen.

• Members

I think it would be interesting to read a Jewish Bible that was translated to english directly from the Hebrew and get there prospective on the Flood!

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Who cares when it was written---what do the words say? Come on now--they were before and after the flood. (I give up)

Do you know anything about Anaki--or the 'sons of Anak? And tell me, just who were the 'gods' mentioned in the ten commandments? (Ohhh, I'm getting too old for this-I think I will give up atempting to teach when no one seems to want to learn--?)

Thanks Oldsailor, the people of Sumar also called the 'watcher' the fallen ones and Satan was called the Lord of the Flies, or the King of the ones who fly.

I'm not sure what you are saying here dgrimm60, but I will try to explain my point.

I'm not sure what you mean. Dr. Rich and I are clearly not on the same page here. However, I don't think either one of us said that the giants were angels. That is clearly a misunderstanding. "Sons of God" refers to divine beings, which means direct creations of God.

A question was brought up about the post flood DNA at the time of the tower, and someone said it was all from Noah's family. I merely pointed out that the Sons of God, i.e. fallen angels who raped and impregnated women before the flood, were still around to add their DNA to the mix before they were building the tower of Babel.

Then carolaa said she didn't believe that was true.

Then I said the book of Enoch chs. 6 & 7 says they were the fallen angels. And Dr. Rich said something about Sumerian text, with which I am not familiar. Maybe that is where the book of Enoch came from, I don't know.

What happens sometimes in the Bible is, some things are just a little too rough for the sensitivities of people, so the editors would substitute less offensive words or in this case a less offensive interpretation. One well known substitution is the word "feet," in place of a word for genitals, like in a description of angels with 3 pairs of wings, one pair of which covered their "feet."

Most people would probably say that the sons of God were righteous men, and daughters of men were unrighteous women. This would seem to make sense, except the text says the "sons of God" took the ones they wanted, without regard for what the women wanted. It just seems to me that righteous men wouldn't force the women against their will. And it just makes more sense, that the "sons of God" spoken of there were fallen angels.

This fits so well when I remember the context. It was not a peaceful time on earth. People were committing all kinds of sins. Some things they did were so evil that even some descendants of Cain refused to participate.

Anyway dgrimm60, I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say, but I hope this clears up any misunderstanding of my post for you.

Edited by Tom Wetmore (40 minutes 14 seconds ago)

Edit Reason: quote box removed - see the one rule that rings them all here in Middle Earth Forum

AHA!!!!

So that's what happened to my quote boxes. Now I am wondering what in the world I did wrong here. Can somebody help me out here?