ClubAdventist is back!

Charles G. Finney: An Autobiography

D. Allan

I've been nibbling on this off and on for a while. 477 Pages, published by Revel, 1908.

Quote:
Charles Grandison Finney (August 29, 1792(1792-08-29) – August 16, 1875) was a Presbyterian minister who became an important figure in the Second Great Awakening. His influence during this period was enough that he has been called "The Father of Modern Revivalism".

Finney was known for his innovations in preaching and religious meetings, such as having women pray in public meetings of mixed gender, development of the "anxious seat" (a place where those considering becoming Christians could come to receive prayer), and public censure of individuals by name in sermons and prayers.[2] He was also known for his use of extemporaneous preaching. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Grandison_Finney

He was studying to become a lawyer when he had an interesting conversion experience (I love reading about those.) Very pious but liberal for his time.

What intrigues me about this book is a handwritten dedication in ink inside the cover. "With appreciation and sincere love for your loyal & many years of faithful service I dedicate this work to you. Respectfully, C. G. Finney (charlie)"

Now I know it isn't the Revivalist because he died 1875. There is another Charles G. Finney, a novelist ( The Circus of Dr. Lao ) :

Quote:
Charles G. Finney (December 1, 1905 – April 16, 1984) was an American fantasy novelist and newspaperman. His full name was Charles Grandison Finney, evidently in honor of the famous evangelist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_G._Finney

I don't find a Charles G. named among the evangelists sons. Could the dedication in this book be written by a grandson? or is it a forgery?

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• Administrators

Interesting!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Yes it is, and I have a suspicion that the novelist and newspaperman might be a grandson of the evangelist and might have given this a secretary. But the word 'dedicate'?

dab

dAb

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. He was also a newspaper editor in Arizona, besides being a novelist - i think i did find that out.

dAb

Finney is one of my favorite 19th century preachers. Ellen White quotes him in The Great Controversy (p. 377). He was awesomely powerful. It is said that after he preached in a town neither a circus or a saloon could turn a profit for a year afterward.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity