ClubAdventist is back!

Cap and Trade

Quote:
No, I really don't. I firmly believe the oil & gas companies are so powerful that they snuff out the competition pretty quickly.

Odd isn't it that other countries as Spain along with the US have energy supplied by windmills? Why didn't the oil and gas companies just snuff it out.

If there was a real demand for their product, manufacturers would not be able to keep up with it.

I don't know a lot about other countries, but it has been a hard deal in this country to get competing technology going. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. The corporations are very intimidating. Inventors disappear, or if they are lucky, they get bought out so their technology can sit on a shelf collecting dust somewhere until the public demands something different.

I'm sure they make it just as difficult to bring that type of technology into this country. There are many various products that are not allowed to be sold in this country in order to protect the big corporations. (At the same time, interestingly, we put a lot of pressure on other countries to allow our products to be sold abroad.)

The corporations are extremely powerful in the U.S., and actually, they have now started lobbying campaigns in other countries, so time will tell what effect that will have. In regards to the energy issue, I suspect the renewable energy ball is rolling and will be hard to stop, so the corporations will make an attempt to get on the bandwagon and monopolize it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carolaa

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• phkrause

[
Quote:
Doesn't he live on Martha's Vineyard? That's a tourist area, and I don't think they even allow motorized vehicles, so why would they allow a windmill farm? They would do at least as well to harness the power of the ocean. Anyway, yes, I'm glad they finally have subsidies and tax breaks for renewable energy. It's really crazy to depend on nonrenewable sources.

I don't know where he lives and don't care. For the good of the country and the planet he should be willing to do what is necessary,not what is necessarily pleasing.

Even though he may be willing, I'm sure he knows he could never sell his constituents on that idea. And I wouldn't say that windmill farms can work everywhere, anyway. Water or solar power might work better in that situation.

Quote:

Even though he may be willing, I'm sure he knows he could never sell his constituents on that idea. And I wouldn't say that windmill farms can work everywhere, anyway. Water or solar power might work better in that situation.

Edward Kennedy did not want it where he had to look at it.

Solar is not all that successful either

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Nuclear is the most promising clean fuel and it will lessen our dependence on foreign oil.

I don't know how anyone can support nuclear power when it is so risky and produces toxic waste that has to be contained forever.

How many Chernobyl or Three Mile Island situations can the planet handle? How frequently are we willing to tolerate accidents like those? Ten years? Twenty? What is the acceptable risk?

It is pretty far fetched to think a oil company could snuff out a windmill company. If true I would think they already would snuff out the existing ones

GE is a leading manufacturer of wind turbines. They own NBC, CNBC and MSNBC. They have a lot of political influence. I think they can hold their own against the oil and gas companies.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:

I don't know how anyone can support nuclear power when it is so risky and produces toxic waste that has to be contained forever

It is cheap, abundant and the technology is here now. The waste can be stored safely.

Quote:
How many Chernobyl or Three Mile Island situations can the planet handle?

Chernobyl and Three Mile Island actually made nuclear power safer. We learned from these incidents. Rather than these causing us to fear nuclear power, these incidents give us a greater reason to trust nuclear power.

Quote:

Edward Kennedy did not want it where he had to look at it.

Solar is not all that successful either

So put it where he doesn't have to look at it. Or find another alternative. I agree that if he doesn't want windmills near his home, then he should be willing to consider other alternatives.

Solar is very successful in certain parts of the world, but it is not the answer for everywhere.

Originally Posted By: bonnie

It is pretty far fetched to think a oil company could snuff out a windmill company. If true I would think they already would snuff out the existing ones

GE is a leading manufacturer of wind turbines. They own NBC, CNBC and MSNBC. They have a lot of political influence. I think they can hold their own against the oil and gas companies.

And that's exactly what it takes - a large corporation to dust off the technology and put it to use. Because the little guy can't do very much at all. It's when the public gets sick of the nonsense and insists on change, then the corporations will come forward as the great saviors.

Quote:

I don't know how anyone can support nuclear power when it is so risky and produces toxic waste that has to be contained forever

It is cheap, abundant and the technology is here now. The waste can be stored safely.

Quote:
How many Chernobyl or Three Mile Island situations can the planet handle?

Chernobyl and Three Mile Island actually made nuclear power safer. We learned from these incidents. Rather than these causing us to fear nuclear power, these incidents give us a greater reason to trust nuclear power.

I wish I could feel as confident as you do about the safety of nuclear power. I'm afraid your confidence is based on best case scenarios. All it takes is one accident, one earthquake or terrorist infiltration, and you have a devastating disaster on your hands.

You have to store the waste forever. How long does the typical civilization or country last? Yet someone has to keep an eye on that stuff forever. It's simply not realistic to think that can happen.

It isn't realistic to believe Jesus is going to return before forever ends?

Nuclear power is all over the world. If we are going to worry about a meltdown killing people we might as well start worrying about tidal waves washing our cities into the oceans. Many things are possible but highly unlikely. We can't let irrational fear shape public policy.

Neither should we base public policy on Jesus' return.

Natural accidents happen, of course, and are largely not preventable, so we can only do so much to avoid them. But man made accidents are almost totally preventable.

I am not suggesting public policy be based on a religious belief of Christ return. However in this forum that is definitely something we are going to take into consideration. We, Seventh-day Adventists, know that the world is not going to last forever so why should we think nuclear waste is going to last forever?

It is more dangerous for me to get in my car and drive it down the road than it is to live next to a nuclear power plant. Should we ban cars?

I am not suggesting public policy be based on a religious belief of Christ return. However in this forum that is definitely something we are going to take into consideration. We, Seventh-day Adventists, know that the world is not going to last forever so why should we think nuclear waste is going to last forever?

It is more dangerous for me to get in my car and drive it down the road than it is to live next to a nuclear power plant. Should we ban cars?

We live 3 miles from a nuclear power plant. It has been in existence for years.

There has never been a hint of trouble,but as you say,getting in my car is more dangerous. Thousand have died as a result of the automobile

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

OK, fine, God is going to destroy the earth, anyway, so there's no need to worry about the possibility of devastation from an accident or terrorist or natural disaster causing a leak of radioactive nuclear waste.

I wonder how many car accidents would equal such devastation.

That is not placing my comments in context.

I responded to the comment that nuclear waste lasts forever and thus will need future civilizations to take care of it. I was pointing out that we are living in the last civilization. Adventists believe that the United States is the second beast power of Revelation 14. My comment was specifically about the storage of nuclear waste.

My point about the safety of nuclear power is that it is so safe that the chances of getting killed by other types of accidents are dramatically greater than a meltdown of a nuclear power plant.