ClubAdventist is back!

Palin Running for President?

Palin announces resignation

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she was resigning her office later this month, a stunning decision that could free her to run for president more easily but also raises questions about her political standing at home.

Palin disclosed the surprise news Friday afternoon from her home in Wasilla with her husband, Todd, and Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who the governor said would take over the state on Saturday, July 25.

With the decision, Palin liberates herself from the political constraints that come with running for president while still in elected office.

Leaving office at the end of the month, the former vice presidential hopeful will be able to travel the country more freely without facing the sort of repeated ethics inquiries she’s been fending off since returning to Alaska earlier this year.

In making her announcement, Palin spoke directly to those inquiries, saying she wouldn’t stand by as taxpayer money was spent to investigate her...

But Palin also hinted at her own national ambitions, invoking a quote that she credited to Gen. Douglas MacArthur: “We are not retreating; we are advancing in another direction.”

After the news conference, Palin asked supporters to “stay tuned” via Twitter. “We’ll soon attach info on this decision to not seek reelection.”

...Palin retains a strong following among many conservatives who were electrified when she was tapped to serve on the GOP ticket by Sen. John McCain last year. She drew thousands of people to a small-town festival in upstate New York last month, some of whom drove a considerable distance just to catch a glimpse of Palin.

Palin allies contend that her star power will still benefit her home state.

“This was a positive, forward-looking decision for her state, her family and she cares so much for Alaska that she is going to get outside of the bubble and work to its benefit outside,” said Jason Recher, who worked for Palin on last year’s campaign.

But the decision to suddenly quit her post will also reinforce some of the very questions about Palin that were raised in the lengthy Vanity Fair story this week — whether she’s overly erratic and prone to ignore her own political advisers.

Two of her own GOP allies were told this week that Palin would announce that she was definitely not running for re-election, but the move to outright leave office has caught many of her supporters by surprise.

[text from link]

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie

• Dr. Shane

• lazarus

• Woody

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Watched her news conference yesterday. Its bad enough that the democrats and there followers can't stop harassing her, but now her own party is no better.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

Do say that because you think she can't win?

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Watched her news conference yesterday. Its bad enough that the democrats and there followers can't stop harassing her, but now her own party is no better.

pk

I think both sides fear her. Most politicians ignore what or who is not important

It was a interesting speech in that comments were made that she used neither,cue cards,telepromtor etc. It was not a short speech but one that would have required any of her competition or

detractors to read.

Way to go Sarah.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Having her run in 2012 will be the best thing for the Demos...

It sure will be best for the country. Whatever her aspirations are she will do better leading the charge rather than someone like McCain's camp trying to keep her in the background.

Fun to watch how the NOW organization likes to demonize her. Wonder if it is because she did not abort a mentally handicapped child.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

For many militant feminists it is all about worshiping at the alter of abortion. Most American women are not that shallow or single-issue focused. Most do not even know Palin's position on abortion. She personally opposes abortion but believes it is an issue that should be on the ballot and decided by the people. Is that an extreme position? She doesn't want to force her position on society, she wants society to be able to vote on it and decide for themselves. That seems rather balanced to me.

Many Republican insiders dislike Palin because she is a nonconformist. Many liberals fear her because she is charismatic and able motivate Democrats to cross over and vote for her. She had been offered a political talk show after McCain's loss to Obama. She has also been offered a book deal for her memoirs. Such opportunities in the private sector may be why she is resigning as governor. These types of opportunities would also give her exposure to the public in general and effectively prevent her enemies in the press from defining her. Only time will see which direction she takes things. One thing is clear. She has both Republican insiders and liberals in general chewing their fingernails in anticipation about what she has up her sleeve.

I have read reports from several sources, and it looks pretty clear to me that she is sick of elective politics and thinks she can do more good outside of government.

Frankly, I think she's right, and I have to admire her unwillingness to put her family through any more negative press.

I know a lot of Republican insiders and liberals are hoping she is sick of elective politics.

I know a lot of Republican insiders and liberals are hoping she is sick of elective politics.

I think Sarah Palin can turn this whole process on it's head if not controlled by the same old,same old..

Personally I think McCain was jealous of the reception Sarah Palin received in the beginning and wasn't crazy about hearing how many would like a ticket of Palin-McCain.

The hate and ridicule of the left is unreasonable and smacks more than a little of fear.Otherwise they wouldn't bother condemning someone that is not in their face.

The speech she gave was awesome considering she used no aides or prompts of any kind. I rarely listen to any speech in it's entirety without wishing the speaker would be "done now"

Obama is praised as such a great speaker but he could not hold a candle with his teleprompter speeches.

It is extremely hard to listen to Obama and his ahh's umm's etc

without the aide of a teleprompter.

Sarah Palin was flawless in the speech she gave without any cue cards or teleprompter

SP is very good at blowing a lot of hot air about fluff. That can have it's place. But when it came to issues, the hot air didn't cut it. (I'm talking about in the campaign.) By contrast, Obama is an attorney, trained to use words carefully, so he hesitates a lot, searching for just the right word. (He's not nearly so painful to listen to as Condi Rice was - that I just couldn't do.) But he shines when it comes to knowledge of the issues.

If one judges Palin based on her performance during the 2008 presidential campaign they are bound to underestimate her. The McCain staff had her on a short leash. She was not free to speak her mind. Since the campaign ended she has done numerous interviews and came off as very competent, knowledgeable and charismatic.

Like most Presidents, Obama will be his own greatest asset or enemy. 2012 will be a referendum on his performance while in office. Regardless who the Republican candidate is, their success will depend mostly on the national assessment of Obama.

The question at this point isn't if Palin can beat Obama. Obama's success depends completely on him and not too much on who his Republican opponent becomes. The question is simply if Palin can win the Republican nomination. Prior to her resigning, she was doing well in polls against other expected Republican contenders.

• Moderators

The speech she gave was awesome considering she used no aides or prompts of any kind. I rarely listen to any speech in it's entirety without wishing the speaker would be "done now"

Mrs Palin's speech was simply weird. Her pattern of delivery was rambling. He demeanor bordered on manic. It was sad and embarrassing.

I hope she is able to find some peace and it's good that she has the courage to see that political life is too much for her. I think democrats would love her to run in 2012, for obvious reasons.

Johnathan Kay writes..

.......it soon became clear that her intellect was shallow: Her debates and interviews were painful exercises in which every subject was brought back to the handful of superficial talking points she'd memorized. Rather than strike blows in the culture wars, she reinforced the false stereotype of conservatives as embittered hillbillies.

Surely, the Republicans can do better than this in 2012.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Looks like another liberal that misses the boat. The McCain campaign had Palin on a short leash. She kept going back to her talking points because that is all they would allow her to say. Contrast that with Biden who told us FDR was President and on TV in 1929!

If Palin was planning on retiring from political life, this would be an odd way of doing it. Liberals know that. She is charismatic and is able to get Democrats to cross party lines. If Obama performs well it doesn't matter who runs against him in 2012. If he performs poorly then it does. Obama is all Democrats have to worry about.

Palin has a lot of work in front of her if she wants the nomination. I don't want to give the idea that I think she is a shoe-in. One of the reasons she may be resigning is so she can get about the business of that work. If she were to land a political talk show on Headline News or FoxNews she could establish herself as a leader of political thought. A lot of money needs to be raised if she is going to run for President and resigning as governor allows her to raise money in a way that would violate ethics rules as a sitting governor. So if this is a direction she wants to take, I think she has a lot of open doors.

If she is just resigning so she can have more privacy then I think she is doing a disservice to the people of Alaska. She was elected to a four-year term and should have completed that unless other opportunities would allow her to better serve the people that elected her.

Time will tell which direction she is going. I think both Huckabee and Romney want to take another shot at the White House in 2012. I would lean toward Romney in that line up. The Minnesota and Louisiana governors have also indicated interest in a 2012 run. Of those five, Palin seems to be the most charismatic but she has to establish herself as knowledgeable and competent in an environment where a liberal-leaning media wishes to define her as otherwise.

If she is just resigning so she can have more privacy then I think she is doing a disservice to the people of Alaska. She was elected to a four-year term and should have completed that unless other opportunities would allow her to better serve the people that elected her.

Normally, I would agree with this, but circumstances have changed dramatically since she was elected governor. She now has so much negative distraction that it's possible that remaining governor would be the disservice to the Alaskan people.

While at the gym today I heard on the news that she resigned to take on a larger role in the national Republican party. She certainly has her work cut out for her if she is going to have a real chance at the nomination in 2012.

While at the gym today I heard on the news that she resigned to take on a larger role in the national Republican party. She certainly has her work cut out for her if she is going to have a real chance at the nomination in 2012.

We have not heard the last from Sarah Palin. She will accept the task of being the voice for the silent and fed up majority.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Interesting comments......all overlooking the obvious, she QUIT the job she had, why, we don't really know! Yet we seem to have people ready to jump on her bandwagon.

Quitters unite! There is hope for you....be a politician!!!!

yucky

We are on the same wave length! When I heard that she was quitting, no matter the reason, my first thought was why would we want to elect a quitter for Prez?!?! How important is whatever alternative that she can't stick it out 18 months and finish the job the citizens of Alaska elected her to do? Or is it that she doesn't think she can really finish that job.

If she is quitting because of the criticism and pressure on her family, does she honestly think that the criticism and pressure gets easier once elected as Prez? Can't stand the heat, so she bails and gets out of the kitchen!

If she is stepping down to do something more politically beneficial to her, do we want a Prez with political expediency and getting reelected to take priority over doing the very job to which she was elected?

Yes, quitting the most significant elected job she was elected to do - politically stupid, if you ask me. It certainly doesn't do anything to defuse the perception she lacks qualifications, experience and the toughness it takes to be Prez.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Palin's critics criticizing her really doesn't mean much. It is not as if they would have voted for her but now would not.

Quote:

If she is stepping down to do something more politically beneficial to her, do we want a Prez with political expediency and getting reelected to take priority over doing the very job to which she was elected?

You mean like Biden,Hilary Clinton,and Obama??

• Administrators

Actually her political friends are saying pretty much the same thing. It's not just her critics that are gobsmacked by the ad hoc political foolishness of Sarah Palin.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090705/pl_politico/35390

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599190866900

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

It takes guts to quit and do what is best for our country and also for her state. I admire her. (Of course you already knew that.) She sent her Facebook statement to me about her reasons for quitting and I was quite impressed.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.