• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard Holbrook

• Musicman1228

• John317

• LifeHiscost

I guess your post proves my point. It is difficult for some people to see how a powerful visual medium can be used to promote incorrect interpretations.

Satan can take any gift of God and make it an instrument of deception, including the Holy Scriptures. What we each need is a recognition of our total helplessness to discern or act responsibly without the overruling power of the Holy Spirit active in our lives, and He only enters our life unrestricted, by invitation.

One of the adversary's greatest and most successful deceptions is that we have reached a stage of power and enlightenment that has put us beyond the need for the Holy Spirit's power to give us the ability to remain beyond deception.

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."Eph 6:12 NKJV

"For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."Matthew 24:24 NKJV

Blessings! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

However, it seems I was wrong about presentations of plays and skits themselves being sinful, and I apologize to all concerned and in particular those associated with "Faith For Today." But even with the best of intentions, a play production can be a negative influence for good, if the interpretation thus presented is wrong.

I accept the apology. However, not because I deserve it, but because Jesus deserves it. He's the One Who used the means for my

sake. Peace!

Blessings! :Jesusfish:

Lift Jesus up!!

I guess your post proves my point. It is difficult for some people to see how a powerful visual medium can be used to promote incorrect interpretations.

So can music. Do we get rid of that too? For some, music is more powerful and influential than the spoken word. Same thing for the spoken word. Incorrect interpretations come through all the time. Do we then get rid of an audial sermon?

Come on, old sailor. Look at the principle of it, not the methodology. There is no logical, scriptural or rational basis for allowing speaking, music and participation in presenting the gospel but not drama.

The only support your have is a few quotes from EGW which were trying to prove a point back in her day and could be applied to nearly everything. Her concern was the motives behind it and she felt the 'theatrical' (which could apply to many things) was not an appropriate medium due to the chance of misconstruing the gospel.

However, the principle behind what Sister White was saying could apply to ALL methods of gospel presentation.

• Moderators

Are you interpreting her to say that it is all right to tell a story like the prodigal son but not to act it out?

What is "theatrical style?"

Originally Posted By: oldsailor29

So can music. Do we get rid of that too? For some, music is more powerful and influential than the spoken word. Same thing for the spoken word. Incorrect interpretations come through all the time. Do we then get rid of an audial sermon?

Come on, old sailor. Look at the principle of it, not the methodology. There is no logical, scriptural or rational basis for allowing speaking, music and participation in presenting the gospel but not drama.

The only support your have is a few quotes from EGW which were trying to prove a point back in her day and could be applied to nearly everything. Her concern was the motives behind it and she felt the 'theatrical' (which could apply to many things) was not an appropriate medium due to the chance of misconstruing the gospel.

However, the principle behind what Sister White was saying could apply to ALL methods of gospel presentation.

Well guibox, again your post has proven the truth of what I said. It is as if you agree with me, but think I should express it better. Plays and skits are many times more influential than the other forms of presentation you have mentioned. I think you admitted that, didn't you? That is why our misinterpretations should not be presented in plays and skits. That is the rationale. If you have a better reason, I would like to know it. Or perhaps you are under the delusion that we do not misinterpret, and therefore whatever we portrayed in a play would be correct? If so, I can only refer you to the book of Job, chapters 38 - 41. I would estimate that in at least 9 times out of 10, any play or skit presented would contain misinterpretations, and I just do not understand why anyone would want to present such misinterpretations in a visual medium which is so many times more powerful than the spoken word.

Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw

http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall

Well guibox, again your post has proven the truth of what I said. It is as if you agree with me, but think I should express it better. Plays and skits are many times more influential than the other forms of presentation you have mentioned. I think you admitted that, didn't you? That is why our misinterpretations should not be presented in plays and skits. That is the rationale. If you have a better reason, I would like to know it. Or perhaps you are under the delusion that we do not misinterpret, and therefore whatever we portrayed in a play would be correct? If so, I can only refer you to the book of Job, chapters 38 - 41. I would estimate that in at least 9 times out of 10, any play or skit presented would contain misinterpretations, and I just do not understand why anyone would want to present such misinterpretations in a visual medium which is so many times more powerful than the spoken word.

Good point Guibox. There is a lot of music which should not be performed in church also. But whatever is done to spread the gospel can be used productively by God. The Holy Spirit can use anything to benefit spreading the gospel. So I reckon you may be right. No matter what Satan tries to do, God can turn it around for His purposes. May that always be the case.

• Members

I agree oldsailor God uses even the worst abuse that Satan throws around and can make good from it.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Once again, I think we tend to confuse truth and accuracy. A story well told (acted, sung or preached) can convey the truth and still be full of inaccuracies. The stories of Scripture are only as accurate as the limitations of the human writing them. But that contain the truth.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Once again, I think we tend to confuse truth and accuracy. A story well told (acted, sung or preached) can convey the truth and still be full of inaccuracies. The stories of Scripture are only as accurate as the limitations of the human writing them. But that contain the truth.

Humans didn't write the scriptures....these Holy men were nearly pen man, but the concept and ideas are straight from God Himself untainted with human error...

1 Pet. 1:21

• Members

Is that quote supposed to be from 1 Peter 1:21? Because it doesn't say that. Just wondering!

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Is that quote supposed to be from 1 Peter 1:21? Because it doesn't say that. Just wondering!

pk

I believe that's 2 Peter 1: 21, right?

It probably should include verse 20 as well.

The Amplified version give it as,

20 [Yet] first [you must] understand this, that no prophecy of Scripture is [a matter] of any personal or private or special interpretation (loosening, solving).

21 For no prophecy ever originated because some man willed it [to do so--it never came by human impulse], but men spoke from God who were borne along (moved and impelled) by the Holy Spirit.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Yes of course it is 2 Peter. But the interpretation is flawed. Where God is quoted in the Bible is where His words were used, and He is quoted sometimes. And it wouldn't make sense for God to quote Himself. So most of the Bible is written in the words of the messengers themselves. Amos used his own words. Hosea used his own words. Jude used his own words. Psalms is a collection of writings from several sources. There were 500 psalms, but only the top 150 were selected for the canon. Some of the psalms writers even borrowed from the pagan writings of Ugaritic tablets. How the Bible was written and passed from generation to generation, and how it comes to us today in its present form is an interesting study, and a study which would give many people a better idea of how divine inspiration really functions.

Originally Posted By: John317

Yes of course it is 2 Peter. But the interpretation is flawed. Where God is quoted in the Bible is where His words were used, and He is quoted sometimes. And it wouldn't make sense for God to quote Himself. So most of the Bible is written in the words of the messengers themselves. Amos used his own words. Hosea used his own words. Jude used his own words. Psalms is a collection of writings from several sources. There were 500 psalms, but only the top 150 were selected for the canon. Some of the psalms writers even borrowed from the pagan writings of Ugaritic tablets. How the Bible was written and passed from generation to generation, and how it comes to us today in its present form is an interesting study, and a study which would give many people a better idea of how divine inspiration really functions.

Amen, but about the pagan writings... not to sure about that. Have you all noticed that everytime the secular world begins to try to disprove the Bible, there is always something that is found to back up the Biblical account, for example the Dead Sea Scrolls... etc.

Have you all noticed that every time the secular world begins to try to disprove the Bible, there is always something that is found to back up the Biblical account, for example the Dead Sea Scrolls... etc.

It takes faith to believe in the Bible, and it takes faith to believe in God. Faith in God is the beginning of wisdom. And God gives wisdom to the wise. God is the author of our faith. God gives us the desire and the power, to do His will. This should all sound familiar.

Originally Posted By: Akintunde

Have you all noticed that every time the secular world begins to try to disprove the Bible, there is always something that is found to back up the Biblical account, for example the Dead Sea Scrolls... etc.

It takes faith to believe in the Bible, and it takes faith to believe in God. Faith in God is the beginning of wisdom. And God gives wisdom to the wise. God is the author of our faith. God gives us the desire and the power, to do His will. This should all sound familiar.

Agreed brethren...Such a power tool that faith is, at our disposal..

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: oldsailor29

It takes faith to believe in the Bible, and it takes faith to believe in God. Faith in God is the beginning of wisdom. And God gives wisdom to the wise. God is the author of our faith. God gives us the desire and the power, to do His will. This should all sound familiar. [/quote']

Agreed brethren...Such a power tool that faith is, at our disposal..

What happened to Akintunde