ClubAdventist is back!

Children of Light

Tom Wetmore

• Administrators

In reference to the Live Science article I posted earlier in Townhall - Do you have that special glow? - I started to think of the quality of our dim light.

It has been suggested that Adam and Eve before the fall were "clothed" in a robe of light. Sin apparently changed that and turned down the wattage of that light enough to make a noticeable difference that they could not hide from God and made them reflexively ashamed and feeling exposed or naked.

Heavenly creatures are typically described in Scripture as emitting bright light, blindingly so at times. And Moses exposure to God on Sinai left his face glowing so brightly that the people asked him to cover his face. And Jesus at the transfiguration revealed himself to Peter, James and John as a creature of light, presumably because his divinity was permitted to shine through briefly.

Mankind was created in the image of God and sin has greatly tarnished that image. Is the faint glow discovered by scientists a remaining vestige of that image of our lightness of being? Will our recreated bodies in the new earth have a real healthy glow restored?

Scripture suggests that God is love and the presence of love for one another will be a reflection of of our relationship to His love. Would the glow described by the article be stronger in loving people or people in love?

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Earth recreated when God chooses to live here with us will result in restoring our lightness of being. (See Revelation 22:5.) In this text it says that there will be no night because God will provide the light and will give us light. Notice that it doesn't describe it as God shining on us to provide light for us but will give it to us which implies a light given to us that becomes our own, a part of us.

And understanding this in the rich multi-layered spiritual symbolism of Revelation, the Greek word translated as "give light" used at that point means to enlighten, to give spiritual, saving knowledge and cause something to exist and become clear to everyone. This contrasts directly with the earlier statement that there will be no "night" which is translated from the Greek word that has the metaphorical meaning of of the time of death, a time for deeds of sin and shame and a time of moral stupidity and darkness.

The essence of this new light is that it outshines any light known to mankind rendering candles (recall that the seven candlesticks symbolized the church) obsolete. And the light of God outshines the sun. (recall the Jesus' face while among those candlesticks is described as the sun - Rev 1:16)

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)