ClubAdventist is back!

The Beast of Revelation 13

Lutz13

My point is that there were numerous times in the history of the Catholic church when Popes were deposed as a result of war, so why pick on this particular Pope at this particular time. No one has questioned the fact that Popes have been placed in politically powerful positions by civil rulers. Yet when this incident occurred in 537 Justinian was STILL the Roman Emperor in the east and exercised power from Constantinople over the west.

And the fact is that the early SDA church accepted the verdict of other religious entities that had an axe to grind with the Papacy and the RCC by going along with their established prophetic interpretation rather than doing their own research and finding out if any of it was really true. This they did not do, so we as a church are now stuck with an interpretation that is colored and influenced by religions that may or may not have the best interest of truth at heart.

There is no question in my mind that the RCC is one of the 7 heads of the Beast in Rev.13, but from my standpoint it cannot possibly be the identifier head that was wounded and is now healed, because the criteria established by the prophecy itself is not met historically in any way by what occurred in 535-539 C.E. in Ravenna and Rome. There was a Pope already in Rome, the Pope was not established at this time by the Roman Emperor's authority but by dirty dealing on the part of the Empress and a sneaky, money grubbing Cardinal that wanted the Papacy for himself and would use any means to get it. There is no evidence that Justinian had anything to do with the changing of one Pope for another in 537 C.E. or had any direct interest in what was happening in Rome. His real interest was what was to happen if Ravenna where the Ostrogoth ruler had his throne. If this was a political issue then the timing of the "1260 days" should have started in 539 not 538-7. It did not begin there because nothing of prophetic significance happened then, aside from the fact that the 1260 days in this prophecy is actually literal days not day/years.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musicman1228

• wayfinder

• John317

My point is that there were numerous times in the history of the Catholic church when Popes were deposed as a result of war, so why pick on this particular Pope at this particular time. No one has questioned the fact that Popes have been placed in politically powerful positions by civil rulers. Yet when this incident occurred in 537 Justinian was STILL the Roman Emperor in the east and exercised power from Constantinople over the west.

And the fact is that the early SDA church accepted the verdict of other religious entities that had an axe to grind with the Papacy and the RCC by going along with their established prophetic interpretation rather than doing their own research and finding out if any of it was really true. This they did not do, so we as a church are now stuck with an interpretation that is colored and influenced by religions that may or may not have the best interest of truth at heart.

There is no question in my mind that the RCC is one of the 7 heads of the Beast in Rev.13, but from my standpoint it cannot possibly be the identifier head that was wounded and is now healed, because the criteria established by the prophecy itself is not met historically in any way by what occurred in 535-539 C.E. in Ravenna and Rome. There was a Pope already in Rome, the Pope was not established at this time by the Roman Emperor's authority but by dirty dealing on the part of the Empress and a sneaky, money grubbing Cardinal that wanted the Papacy for himself and would use any means to get it. There is no evidence that Justinian had anything to do with the changing of one Pope for another in 537 C.E. or had any direct interest in what was happening in Rome. His real interest was what was to happen if Ravenna where the Ostrogoth ruler had his throne. If this was a political issue then the timing of the "1260 days" should have started in 539 not 538-7. It did not begin there because nothing of prophetic significance happened then, aside from the fact that the 1260 days in this prophecy is actually literal days not day/years.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Moderators

One problem with applying the 1260 days to the pope is that the 1260 days are the last 1260 literal days of the 70 weeks of years prophecy and the reapplication to Revelation for events that could have taken place durring those 1260 days but which still need to be fulfilled as the conditions were not met.

The year - day principle was already in use here and the 1260 days were 1260 days of the larger year-day prophecy. Now God did use this dubbling up of the prophecy did help with recognizing the role of the Papacy durring the 5th head, but we need to look for the fuller fulfillment of this prophecy.

Also, while there is debate over whether or not 538 can be used as the year to start the papacy, we have even more problems with 1798 as the arrested pope carried on business as usual from his prision and when he soon died a new pope in Rome was elected and soon Napolian was at the pope's mercy, and the 1800s had some of the most powerful popes in history. It was from the 1800s where the consept of papal infalabilaty came (which God used to his advantage when a pope died and they could not decide on a new pope, so to give more time they decided to vote a dieing man who was too weak to do anything to become pope while they continued to decide who should be the next pope. Well, that pope, Pope John XXIII did not die quite as fast as they expected, and he got the streanth to call Vatican 2, which granted from the Protestant perspective did not go far enough, but yet has brought the Bible to Catholics, and the Catholics since then has been trying to back peddle from Vatican 2, but have trouble because these powerful popes of the 1800s made the doctrin of papal infalibility. I find it very sad that the current pope was one of John XXIII's engeneers for vatican 2 and has spent his life now trying to dismantle what he did. I think he picked an excellent name for himself)

While I believe that the papacy played a major role in the 5th head and will have a role in the last days (historically the papacy has often joined the wrong side) the pope is only a part of the 5th head, it is NOT the entire beast.

Kevin H,

Very well explained. You will, however, have to go a lot farther to convince me that this beast is already in existence, as that is apparently what you believe.

Many Christian denominations (including unfortunately the SDA's) have been caught watching the magic act of Satan where he has them looking in one direction while he works his magic in another. The RCC is where he wants us to look at on hand while he works his magic of putting together the beast that will become the one world religious government with the other.

If you are a traditional Adventist you will take the 'historic view' of this and most other end time prophecies, because this is what our church espouses. But I see NO evidence that any of the 'end-time' prophecies of Revelation has been fulfilled. Some of the descriptive prophecies and pre-end-time prophecies (ex. Rev.2,3 and 12) have occurred. Yet in cases as with the beasts of Rev.13 it is my observation that none of those prophecies have yet been started much less fulfilled.

According to Rev.1:1-3 the prophecies of Revelation are for the Bondservants of Jesus Christ at the time when they 'must shortly take place'. This was not during the time of the early Adventists c.1844. All of those Adventists are dead so Revelation cannot be speaking of them as the Bondservants. If we are to be the Bondservants then we are the ones to whom Revelation is written, in which case we will need to be alive during the time of the end. The fulfillments of the end-time prophecies will happen to us.

This is why I maintain that it is critical to our understanding of prophecy to KNOW where we are in time, not guess. That is why I study time and timing, because I need to know when Jesus is coming as a thief and when He is coming in the clouds. I WILL be awake and not sleeping when He comes as a thief, because we will all be awake when He comes in the clouds.

Sabbath Blessings to all.

Generally speaking He comes as a thief when probation closes. At that time men will still be drinking and eating and marrying and building without knowing that probabion has closed. It is in that sense that He will come as a thief.

He also comes as a thief for those who pass away without being prepared for the judgment of the dead.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

Thanks Richard. Always nice when two brothers agree! :)

Without moving away from Revelation 13, I believe we should take a serious look at chapter 17 which covers Revelation 13 and much more.

Revelation 17 gives us a complete picture of the history of this world reaching all the way from ancient Babylon to the drying up of the River Euphrates after the close of probation prior to the return of Jesus in the "clouds" of Heaven. Please let me share with you what I have come to understand over the years. I will break this post into several parts for easier reading. Thanks for your attention.

THE JUDGMENT OF THE GREAT WHORE

"Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked to me, saying to me, 'Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication. " Rev.17:1,2.

The next verse starts with the word, "So." What does the word "so" indicate? That what is now going to follow is the fulfillment of the statement made by the angel: "I will show you the judgment of the great whore." So, to accomplish this promise, he now carries him away in the Spirit into the "wilderness."

"So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw the woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns." Rev.17:3.

"And on her forehead a name was written:

Mystery, Babylon the Great, The Mother of Harlots and of The Abominations of the Earth." Rev.17:5.

For the first time, we find a symbolic name, an actual symbolic name, not just a symbol but a symbolic name. A woman is a symbol of a church but Babylon is a symbolic name for it.

We now have a symbolic name for the whore or the woman. We should expect very obviously that there would be a symbolic name provided for the waters or that scarlet beast upon which the whore sits.

Now, we are looking for a symbolic name not mentioned in the chapter. And we are expected to understand what that symbolic name is because here is that whore whose symbolic name is Great Babylon sitting upon those waters, the symbolic name of which must be Euphrates!

Back in the Old Testament times, what did Babylon sit on? Euphrates! We can't separate Euphrates from Babylon. Just as ancient Babylon sat on and was supported by the great river Euphrates, which kept that great city alive, so, modern Babylon sits upon the peoples of this earth because waters symbolize peoples and therefore, if Babylon sits upon waters, the waters must have a symbolic name, and that symbolic name must come from the type in the Old Testament. In other words, here was typical Babylon and here was a typical river!

"And the woman whom you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth." Rev.17:18.

Therefore, the waters, the beast, and the kings of the earth are three different symbols representing the same thing, the peoples of the earth. The day will come when all the peoples of this earth will support Babylon the Great but that support will be "dried up" suddenly at the time of the fifth plague. This we shall see in the next posts.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

Just as the ancient River was dried up to make way for the kings of the east, ( Medo-Persian kings) so the people who support the whore in the last days will be "dried up" to bring about the downfall of Babylon The Great and thus make way for the Kings of the East, Christ and the redeemed, to return! See Ezekiel 43:2.

If we think type and antitype, we will have no problem identifying symbolic names in the book of Revelation.

In verse 6 we read:

"And I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marvelled with great amazement."

Back in verse 3 the angel promised to give John the interpretation of the vision which previously had been given. The angel said, "I will tell you the mystery of the woman."

When you start to read the angel's explanation, your first reaction is that he has made the mystery more mysterious! Let us read it in verse 8:

"The beast (whore) that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, is not, and yet is."

Do you feel you were given a good explanation? Verse 9:

"Here is the mind which has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits. There are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, and the other is yet to come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time. And the beast that was, and is not, is himself the eighth, and is of the seven, and is going to perdition."

A little bit of careful study will soon begin to unravel this mystery and you will be surprised how simple the prophecy really is. First of all in verse 8:

"The beast that you saw and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition."

When we have an expression like, "was", "is not", and "will be again", it indicates that we need to have a reference point in time. The reference point chosen determines what was, what is not and what will be as the case may be.

In order for us to understand what beast is spoken of as being in the past, and also being not present, and shall be again, we have to make up our minds on the basis of the evidence given. What was the reference point from which John was observing these facts? That is very very important to know!

Some have taken the position that John is speaking from his own point of time, but when we study the works of a prophet, do we find that they all spoke from their own point of time? Or were they sometimes moved far away into the future and spoke from that point of time?

A prophet is very often picked up from his own time and projected far into the future and from that future point of time, he then begins to describe things that were and are and will be. And if we are to understand what the prophet is saying, what must we determine? That reference point. It is not very difficult.

In verse 3 we are told that in order to see the judgement of the great whore, John had to be carried in the Spirit into the wilderness. When he got there, what did he see? He saw the whore sitting upon the scarlet beast. Now if he had to go to the wilderness to see the whore, where must she have been? In the wilderness.

What does it mean for the woman to be in the wilderness? Is she always there or is it a temporary sojourn and not a permanent one? If we go back to Revelation 12, we find that when the woman (pure church) brought forth the man child (Jesus) where did she flee after the man child was taken up to Heaven? To the wilderness. Between 538 and 1798, the true church of God was in the wilderness. She went there in obscurity as a result of the persecuting powers that sought to destroy her.

Therefore, the true church was not "in the wilderness" when Jesus Christ was living upon the earth nor during the Apostolic period but when the persecution began, that is when she found herself driven into the wilderness. So, obviously, what does it mean to be in the wilderness? It means to be oppressed, persecuted; it means to be the tail and not the head, to be under, and not above.

To be continued

sky

During the time when the true church of God was "in the wilderness," was Papal Rome also in the same place? No. She was on top. She was sitting as a queen! Now, what about John's own day? Was Pagan Rome persecuted and driven away from her own natural habitat or was she likewise on top of the world? On top!

So, when did the papal power go "into the wilderness?" In 1798! In 1798 the papacy was driven "into the wilderness" in a position of oppression and obscurity. But that did not stop the papacy from doing her work to regain the supremacy of the world. Since then she has been working in obscurity, working behind the scenes, pulling the strings, politically and religiously. Therefore, what was John's point of reference? After 1798.

Verses 9 and 10: "Here is the mind which has wisdom: the seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits. There are seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time."

In prophecy, what does a "mountain" symbolize? A kingdom. In Jeremiah 51:25, Babylon is described as being a "destroying mountain." Daniel 2 mentions two mountains. The one from which the stone was cut and the one under which the stone grew. What do these "mountains" symbolize? God's Kingdom.

"The seven heads are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, and the other is not yet come and when he comes, he must continue a short time."

To identify those kings, what must we have? Again, a point of reference before which five have fallen, one still remained, and the other had not yet come.

If we take John's own day as the point of reference this is what we get:

five have fallen

1.Egypt

2.Assyria

3.Babylon

4.Medo-Persia

5.Greece

6.Pagan Rome (POINT OF REFERENCE)

___the one that is in John's day_____

7.Papal Rome---yet to come

But then, we have a problem because we have one that is, and in John's day, that one was Pagan Rome and the other one which had not yet come was Papal Rome. But what about the beast of Revelation 11, Atheistic France, and the lamb-like beast of Rev.13, Apostate Protestantism? So if we take John's day as the point of reference, we have to say, 5 have fallen, one is, and THREE are yet to come! But does the Bible say that? It doesn't.

But if we take the point of reference given us directly from verse 3 of chapter 17, which is the time after 1798, we now ask the question: which are the five which have fallen? It is, very obviously:

1.Babylon

2.Medo-Persia

3.Greece

4.Pagan Rome

5.Papal Rome

6.Atheistic France (After 1798) POINT OF REFERENCE) one that is

7.Apostate Protestantism (the one which is yet to come)

What was the satanic form which took over from Papal Rome after 1798? Atheism. Revelation 11:7; The Great Controversy, p.269,270. And what is the other one which has not yet come? The lamb-like beast of Revelation 13, Apostate Protestantism.

To be continued

Verse 12: "And the ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as king with the beast. They are one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast."

What is the popular interpretation of what these 10 horns or ten kings are? The common market countries of ancient Europe: Noway, Sweeden, Germany, Denmark, England, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, and Portugal.

But this conclusion we cannot accept for one important reason. What is it in the text itself which would make it an impossibility for those ancient European kings to be the ten horns or the ten kings of Revelation 17:12? The text says that THESE KINGS HAVE RECEIVED NO POWER AS KINGS YET and they will not receive power as kings until one hour with the beast.

So, at what point of time alone in human history will the ten horns receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast? At the very end. Not before the Papacy comes back to universal dominion, and that time has not yet come.

Does England have power as a kingdom today? Certainly. Does France have power as a kingdom today? It does. Does Germany have power as a kingdom today? Yes, it does. So do all the European countries. Therefore, not one of those countries are the powers mentioned here in Revelation 17:12.

One more thing, we cannot limit the ten horns (kings) on this beast to anything less than the territory occupied by this beast which is the entire world. The ten countries of Europe are only a small part of that territory today. Whatever territory is occupied by the beast is occupied by the horns on the beast. Therefore, the ten kings occupy how much of the world? All of it.

Verse 13: "These have one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast."

"In the warfare to be waged in the last days, there will be united, in opposition to God's people, all the corrupt powers that have apostatized from allegiance to the law of God. There will be a universal bond of union, one great harmony, a confederacy of Satan's forces. 'And shall give their power and strength to the beast.'"

"What is it that gives its kingdom to this power? Protestantism, a power which, while professing to have the temper and spirit of a lamb and to be allied to Heaven, speaks with the voice of a dragon. It is moved by a power from beneath." E.G. White, Bible Commentary, Vol.7, p.983.

Does Apostate Protestantism have a power as a kingdom today? No, but when it receives the power of the State, it will be a kingdom then for one hour with the beast. The ten kings (horns) are the peoples of this earth distributed in the ten major world religions:

1.Protestantism

2.Catholicism

3.Greek Orthodox

4.Judaism

5.Islam

6.Buddhism

7.Shintuism

8.Confucianism

9.Hinduism

10.Communism

These will make an image to the beast and will receive power from the state and will give it to the papacy and reign with her for a short time.

Here is that one statement from Mrs. White which shows that the ten horns (kings) of Revelation 17 are "churches" or major religions of the world:

"In the seventeenth of Revelation is foretold the destruction of all the churches--(kings) Rev.17:1-4 quoted--who corrupt themselves by idolatrous devotion to the service of the papacy, those who have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication." E.G.White, Bible Commentary, vol.7, p.983.

Instead of saying "kings" Mrs. White says "churches". These are the major religions of this worlds who will receive a kingdom for "one hour" with the papacy. This is the union of church and state in every country of the globe with the church having the ascendancy thus making an image to the papacy.

"And the woman which you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth." Rev.17:18.

"As America, the land of religious liberty, shall unite with the papacy in forcing the conscience and compelling men to honour the false Sabbath, the people of every country of the globe will be led to follow her example." 6 T 18.

Verse 17: "For God has put it in their hearts to fulfil His purpose, to be of one mind, and to give their kingdom to the beast, until the words of God are fulfilled."

"Foreign nations will follow the example of the United States. Though she leads out, yet the same crisis will come upon our people in all parts of the world." 6 T 395.

These will give their power to the papacy, the 8th:

"Thus is represented the papal power which with all deceivableness of unrighteousness, by outside attraction and gorgeous display, deceives all nations; promising them, as did Satan our first parents, all good to those who receive its mark, and all harm to those who oppose its fallacies...

The power which has the deepest inward corruption will make the greatest display, and will clothe itself with the most elaborate signs of power. The Bible plainly declares this covers a corrupt and deceiving wickedness. 'Upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and the Abominations of the Earth."

Verse 14: "These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, faithful. And He said to me, 'The waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. And the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire."

This is the drying up of the River Euphrates in these last days at the time of the sixth plague as described in Revelation 16:18-20; 19:17-21.

At the time of the fifth plague, "A dense blackness, deeper than the darkness of the night, falls upon the earth. Then a rainbow shining with the glory from the throne of God, spans the heavens and seems to encircle each praying company. The angry multitudes are suddently arrested. Their mocking cries die away. The objects of their murderous rage are forgotten. With fearful forebodings they gaze upon the symbol of God's covenant and long to be shielded from its overpowering brightness...

"The people see that they have been deluded. They accuse one another of having led them to destruction; but all unite in heaping their bitterest condemnation upon the ministers. Unfaithful pastors have prophesied smooth things; they have led their hearers to make void the law of God and to persecute those who would keep it holy. Now, in their despair, these teachers confess before the world their work of deception.

"The multitudes (waters of Rev.17:15, River Euphrates of these last days) are filled with fury. 'We are lost!' they cry, 'and you are the cause of our ruin,' and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords that were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed." The Great Controversy, pp.636,656.

This is the judgment of the great whore at the time of the drying up of her support.

The prophet Daniel spoke of this in those words: "He--the papacy--shall come to his end, and no one shall help him." Daniel 11:45.

This is the complete and final drying up of the River Euphrates which brings the physical downfall of Babylon the Great and prepares the way for Christ to return with ten thousands of His saints! Jude 14; Ezekiel 43:2.

These are the true Kings of the East!

THE END

sky

Your thoughts

But then, we have a problem because we have one that is, and in John's day, that one was Pagan Rome and the other one which had not yet come was Papal Rome. But what about the beast of Revelation 11, Atheistic France, and the lamb-like beast of Rev.13, Apostate Protestantism? So if we take John's day as the point of reference, we have to say, 5 have fallen, one is, and THREE are yet to come! But does the Bible say that? It doesn't.

But if we take the point of reference given us directly from verse 3 of chapter 17, which is the time after 1798, we now ask the question: which are the five which have fallen? It is, very obviously:

1.Babylon

2.Medo-Persia

3.Greece

4.Pagan Rome

5.Papal Rome

Interesting. There are other ways of interpreting that text. So it is one of those things where I will just say. I do not know!

Another interpretation was that in 1929 the Lateran Treaty gave Rome back to the RCC. Rome was now its own country. Since 1929 there have been 7 Popes. Benedict being the 7th pope or king of this very small country.

Looks a bit like this:

a5dzjq.jpg

I cannot say for sure if that is true or not because I truly do not know.

I've been checking stuff on Jesuits and assassinations of Presidents, namely Lincoln, and JFK. This is not a new topic, but I never paid much attention to it in the past. Alberto Rivera, Eric Jon Phelps, etc.

How do we know that a jesuit is not stirring confusion on this board? I know this has come up here in the past. Still, it needs to be brought up again.

DB

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

oh so this pope will be resurrected so that it may be said that he was, is not, and is again?

I've been checking stuff on Jesuits and assassinations of Presidents, namely Lincoln, and JFK. This is not a new topic, but I never paid much attention to it in the past. Alberto Rivera, Eric Jon Phelps, etc.

How do we know that a jesuit is not stirring confusion on this board? I know this has come up here in the past. Still, it needs to be brought up again.

DB

The Jesuits would not be the Jesuits if they have no one here stirring up confusion and that on every adventist board.

Originally Posted By: Kountzer

DB

The Jesuits would not be the Jesuits if they have no one here stirring up confusion and that on every adventist board.

I believe that. ....Infiltrate is what they do.

According to this interpretation, how can it be said that this eighth pope, was, is not, and is again?

sky

"The beast that was, and is not, is himself also the eight, and is of the seven, and is going to perdition."(Revelation 17:11)

So you have 5 fallen kings. You have one that is(John Paul II) and one that is to come, and even he must last a short time(Benedict). Now on to the eighth. What is important to note is that the eighth is also one of the seven. They claim John Paul II will be the eighth, only it won't be John Paul but a demon impersonating him. Oh how the world would marvel at that...

Let me say it again though, I do not know what is going to happen, so I won't say that this interpretation is the one that is right. I just found it interesting...

>>Even though the whole world may go along with the change of the Sabbath, it dosn't actually change God's law. So in that respect they only think they changed times and laws.<<

There are two approaches to what you assert; namely, de jure and de facto.

The prophets Jeremiah and Hosea shattered the supporting timbers of a de jure argument, leaving only the slivers of anecdotal narratives inhabiting the New Testament. Then there is the

irrefutable de facto argument that testifies to the fact that man, having been deprived of the OT calendar (cf Jeremiah, Hosea), which sustained a Gd-given seventh-day Sabbath – addressed that fact. That loss has been partially remedied. Man, wishing to worship the Redemptor Gd, set aside a day for remembrance of the greater ‘creative’ act of Salvation, if you will; that is, the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.