ClubAdventist is back!

Urgent request

Gail

• Administrators

My son, Kevin, is traveling as part of his job. He is in Kampala (Uganda?).

Rioting has broken out in the city and he is stuck in his hotel. I received this email message but then through a chat he told me that he is now filling out evacuation papers. I don't know where he will end up. I hope that there is a Canadian embassy there (Stan, do you know?)

Here is what he wrote:

Quote:
I’m currently in Kampala in the middle of this software training and there are pretty significant riots going down on the streets below me. The riot police are out with teargas and the whole kit and apparently a bunch of gunshots have been fired. There is smoke everywhere…I think people are burning tires or something. Maybe you guys could pray for me, I really don’t know what is going to happen or how I’ll get out of here. The staff here aren’t really doing much so maybe its not a big deal but I feel fairly vulnerable at the moment.

This morning he said that there is shooting and people have been killed.

I told him that I would enlist prayer, and that nothing is too big for God.

I pray that he might find a safe haven somewhere, and that he might have Internet connection enough to keep me updated.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Thanks, Aubrey! Much appreciated!

There are some updates on Facebook. Kevin's not really sure of what brought on the rioting but apparently there is a tribal king who is trying to enter another district (where he is not welcome, I suppose). It is a local squabble but the riot is city-wide now. Kevin said something about people bringing in heavy artillery but didn't specify more on that.

Through his work and friends of friends, Kev has been re-located to a guest house near the U.S. consulate (embassy?), in a different part of the city. He has a safe place for tonight, anyway. He wants to return to the hotel perhaps tomorrow to retrieve his things, if possible, and square up his tab with the hotel. Will let you know how that goes.

His workplace has a evacuation company that they deal with, who is working on the situation. I'll let you know more when I hear more.

He said that in the ride from the hotel to where he is now there were burnings all around them.

Will keep you updated the best I can! Thank you for your prayers!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Thanks! Here is a news report on what it's all about:

Quote:
Two killed in Uganda riot: police

(AFP) – 44 minutes ago

KAMPALA — Riots rocked the Ugandan capital Thursday leaving two dead and several injured as protesters clashed with police over efforts to stop a visit by a traditional ruler.

Kampala police spokesman Henry Kalulu said that two people were killed and several other injured. He said one of the dead was a guard stoned to death by looters who wanted to raid a shop.

Police fired tear gas at protesters who burned tyres, blocked roads and torched a petrol station as shops closed and traffic came to a standstill.

"We have scattered them..., but now the demonstrators have moved to the suburbs," Kalulu said. "We are following them and dispersing them." Kalulu said police were battling small groups of protestors late Thursday.

The protesters, from the Baganda tribe, which is the majority in central Uganda, have been angered by government efforts to stop their ruler Ronald Muwenda Mutebi visiting Kayunga county, north of Kampala, where violence was feared.

Ethnic Baganda MPs walked out of parliament in protest over the issue Wednesday.

The traditional king holds a ceremonial position but also wields political influence.

The government shut down a radio station owned by the Baganda kingdom accusing it of engaging in "sectarian acts".

I am praying for you and your son's safe return

I hope the information below will be of some assistance.

Be Blessed.

Canada Canadian Consulate in Kampala, Uganda

Consulate of Canada in Kampala, Uganda

Jubilee Insurance Centre

14 Parliament Avenue

Kampala, Uganda

City: Kampala

Phone: (+256-414) 258-141

(+256-414) 348-141

(+256-312) 260-511

Fax: (+256-414) 349-484

Email: Kampala@canadaconsulate.ca

(OR)

Canada Canadian Consulate in Uganda

The High Commission of Canada, Uganda

The Government of Canada has no resident representation in Uganda.

Services are offered through our High Commission in Nairobi, Kenya.

Web Site: http://www.kenya.gc.ca

Be Blessed.

• Members

Praying for the safe return of your son...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Yes indeed - may God lift of a standard when the enemy comes in like a flood -- may He be a wall of fire around your son as scripture promises.

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Administrators

Here is an update:

The security people who work with Kevin's company have a copy of his passport and are all ready to move him out if the situation gets worse. But he is in a better spot now, out of the thick of it.

The security company also has been giving Kev's fiancee regular updates every 2 hours.

She had been talking to Kevin on the phone earlier when he was in the hotel and he had mentioned in a calm voice that there were riots happening. She said, "What's so loud over there?" He said, "Gunfire." She freaked...

I told her that this is another chapter in the story of his life. She said that she wishes he would have less stories to go in his book!!

Another dynamic to this is that Kevin has been receiving treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I asked Seren how that was going, and she said that he had one panic attack tonight (it's during the night over there right now). But he has medications to help him with anxiety that will help him sleep.

If the Lord sets up a hedge around him that would be perfect. :)

• Administrators

The last I read was that the Ugandan president was going to give a "state of the nation" address to the country about this issue.

Still praying...

OH ((((Gail)))) I am just now seeing this. We are praying here, and that he won't have any more panic attacks.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Members

Putting you and your son on our pray list. And please keep us updated Gail. Here's a group hug grouphug

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I pray that he might find a safe haven somewhere, and that he might have Internet connection enough to keep me updated.

"....verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."Matthew 17:20 KJV

I would guess, considering those who are putting their trust in the enabling power of Jesus, Kevin has little to be worried about. Perhaps my prayer just needs to be giving thanks for delivering Kevin. Which he definitely has received.

Blessings! prayerpeace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

BBC is reporting renewed fighting and 2 more shot dead. It and AP reported 7 dead on Thursday:

Riots in Kampala

Kevin wrote on Facebook that he might be home in time for his small group Bible study...

That kid keeps me on the edge of my seat!

• Administrators

I appreciate that, dgrimm!!

• Administrators

Kev's been forwarding us the consular warnings, both US and Canadian, for their citizens to remain indoors. The American one mentioned that the road to the airport at Entebbe has been closed down a few times (gulp).

He says that he hasn't had much sleep due to loud Muslim prayers every so often. Last night he got about 1 1/2 hours worth of shut eye. He was going to take some melatonin and try and get some rest.

Keep up the prayers!! Thank you all!

• Administrators

Keep going, doug!! I appreciate it!

I've just read that the Kabaka's planned visit, which was the cause of all the trouble, has been cancelled. I'm hoping that this might provide a breathing space.

Death toll at 11 now... :( Many young people are involved with this. The number of injured is about 60.

I've seen also that any Israelis in Kampala have also been ordered indoors.

• Administrators

Thank you, all, for bearing with me through this!

The news for today has been encouraging. As I had hoped, the announcement that the visit with the tribal chief was cancelled, things have died down. There is still violence in some parts, as this morning when I spoke with Kevin there was still gunfire in the area where he is.

But he is doing well. He is close to the Entebbe road which goes to the airport, and if it can remain open he will board a plane in a few hours for Nairobi, Kenya. Then he will be on his way back to America.

Another aspect the peace process of this event, is that tomorrow, Sunday, it has been ordered by the government that no bullets be fired by anyone, even the police. I had read reports that complained of "excessive force" by the police, and apparently this report was true and a contributive factor.

I am thankful for the prompt action taken by World Relief's security firm, and their and WR's efforts to keep the family informed. The company did not leave my son stranded, but was in constant communication. I've received a map of the "hot spots" (Kev's workplace was right in the middle of it!!), consulate reports and updates. They are truly a professional outfit.

Praise God Gail. I am sure you will be relieved and the headaches will stop once he is on his way to Kenya.

BTW ... what is "World Relief"?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

In this post I would like to give thanks to God for how He has led us.

Besides his safety I was concerned about Kevin's health, as, like I mentioned before, he is diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I tried to find a Bible verse that I could pray on his behalf and found-

"I sought the Lord and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears."- somewhere in the Psalms, I can't remember where just now.

I prayed that. And apart from a very sleepless night the first night he's been okay. Praise God for this!!

Then this morning, after being up during the night checking for updates, this came to my memory:

"Through many dangers, toils and snares

I have already come.

'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far

And grace will lead me home." - Amazing Grace

I'd like to say that Yes! If you take the time to learn God's word and encouraging spiritual hymns and poems, the words WILL come back to you when needed, as promised in the Bible.

Now, if we can make it over the next 24 hours or so, this chapter in Kevin's book will be finished. And then it's on to the next!!

Thanks again for ALL prayers and encouraging words!!

• Members

Gail isn't that the airport that Israel came and got there hostages back, a number of years ago?

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Praise God Gail. I am sure you will be relieved and the headaches will stop once he is on his way to Kenya.

BTW ... what is "World Relief"?

World Relief is an NGO relief organization with its head office in Baltimore, MD. Kevin works overseeing the financial operations in the overseas offices. They do microfinancing for people in poor nations, that is, giving out small loans to families to help them form family businesses to help them survive.

• Administrators

Gail isn't that the airport that Israel came and got there hostages back, a number of years ago?

Yes, one and the same.