ClubAdventist is back!

Polygamy question...

Stan

The other question is this..

If someone from a country and religion, allows polygamy, immigrates, should he be allowed to bring all his wives, or should all but one be discarded?

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

IF a person emigrates to new country, part of that is agreeing to live according to the laws of that country.

If polygamy is OK, why not the sharia law that allows a man to kill an unfaithful wife or daughter?

How about new marriages?

What about child brides?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Islam is not the only religion that allows multiple wives. I think polygamy is a religious liberty issue. For centuries societies have practiced polygamy. It was needed before as there were more women than men and women needed to be taken care of. Certainly with the advancement of society and women, it is no longer needed by society as it was hundreds of years ago. Nonetheless there are still religions that allow it

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

I don't think that families should be broken up.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I agree that families should not be broken up. But then he should have either stayed in his country of origin, or moved to one that accepted polygamy.

It's impractical to the point of absurdity to think that a country of 30 million people should change its laws so one man can have what he wants. The end of that sort of reasoning is total chaos.

The responsibility for breaking up the family belongs to the polygamous man who wanted to move to a country where polygamy was outlawed. it's his problem, not the state's.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

• Administrators

Yes, with His promise that He would bless Hagar and Ishmael. You can't get much better than that! That is His prerogative :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

I agree that families should not be broken up. But then he should have either stayed in his country of origin, or moved to one that accepted polygamy.

It's impractical to the point of absurdity to think that a country of 30 million people should change its laws so one man can have what he wants. The end of that sort of reasoning is total chaos.

The responsibility for breaking up the family belongs to the polygamous man who wanted to move to a country where polygamy was outlawed. it's his problem, not the state's.

But if this is a religious (moral) issue, then doesn't a country which promotes freedom of religion exempt him?

Quote:
But if this is a religious (moral) issue, then doesn't a country which promotes freedom of religion exempt him?

First of all. there's a difference between a religious issue and a moral one. Not every religious issue is a moral issue, and not every moral issue is a religious one.

As to the question of religious freedom, he is free to believe what he wants, but there are certain practices which are not legal. For example, if he practiced human sacrifice, should that be accepted in the name of religious freedom?

Or how about the execution of an adulteress? What if adultery is defined (by his religion) as going out with face unveiled? Or simply disobeying her husband?

Should those practices be allowed in the name of religious freedom?

Suppose my religion demands the execution of apostates? Am I free to kill family members who convert to Christianity?

Or what if my religion allows the confiscation of property from heretics and apostates? Should my taking it by force be allowed in the name of freedom of religion?

• Administrators

Those are all good questions!

The fact is that one man can live with as many women as he wants to and be sexually involved with all of them without breaking the law - so long as they are consenting adults. It is not until he wants to make the legal commitment, known as marriage, that he becomes a criminal.

The divorce culture in America allows for serial polygamy where men and women are allowed to have multiple spouses as long as they have them one at a time.

Polygamy has been around for centuries and served a purpose when men outnumbered women. I firmly believe that if a person's religious organization embraces polygamy than a state valuing religious liberty should allow it.

Quote:
I firmly believe that if a person's religious organization embraces polygamy than a state valuing religious liberty should allow it.

then what about my other questions?

Quote:
As long as everyone involved are consenting adults,

so human sacrifice is OK, as long as the sacrificial individual consents?

We do have evidence that in certain cultures, to be sacrificed was considered a high honor.

Or if a woman agrees that she deserve to be stoned?

That's still OK?

First, the question leads into a different discussion about a different matter. In this country, of course, a person would have to undergo a psychological examination to see if they were actually metal fit to consent to such a thing. At this time I am not aware of any organized religious bodies that use human sacrifices so the question is rather mute.

In the matter at hand, we have already established that a man can live with several other women and be sexually involved with them without breaking the law. It is an issue of consenting adults. Religious liberty is a basic liberty. If consenting adults want to live that way they should be free to do so.

Quote:
First, the question leads into a different discussion about a different matter

No, it doesn't. The question is about religious liberty and its limitations. If one law can be violated under the religious liberty standard, why not another? The main question concerning polygamy cannot be answered effectively unless the limits of religious liberty are established.

Quote:
In the matter at hand, we have already established that a man can live with several other women and be sexually involved with them without breaking the law.

That is not the same thing as polygamy. The non-married sexual partners do not have the same claims and privileges as a legal wife. Polygamy is not legal. So, if Religious liberty trumps civil laws concerning polygamy, on what legal and rational basis does it do so. Without an answer, we turn religious liberty into a universal solvent, striking down every other law that might interfere with it.

The only right of that sort today in the U.S. is the right to abortion.

reread as needed...

Let me repeat the QUESTION..

If someone from a country and religion, allows polygamy, immigrates, should he be allowed to bring all his wives, or should all but one be discarded?

Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

wow, deep question.

one that would require much prayer and thought. more prayer than thought.

first, the wives should not be discarded.

surely, with such a God as we have we could come up with a workable solution for all.

i think id ask the wives if there were any who did not wish to be with him. that may, or may not, eliminate some. then i would find out if they wanted to live in their country or immigrate to here.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

I do not believe the wives should be discarded however I believe that some Adventist churches do require converts to discard all but one of their wives when they convert.