ClubAdventist is back!

How much of Scripture is inspired?

How much of Scripture is inspired?

This whole thread is a book by: Samuel Koranteng Pipim, called "Receiving the Word"

The context of 2 Timothy 3:16 suggests that "all Scripture" refers to the entire Old Testament, the books that made up the Bible in the days of Jesus and the apostles. But according to other New Testament passages, "all Scripture" also includes the New Testament writings.

For example, the apostle Peter refers to the writings of Paul on the same basis as "the other scriptures" (2 Pet 3:15, 16); and Paul in 1 Timothy 5:18 quotes the record in Luke 10:7, "The laborer is worthy of his reward," and refers to the statement as "scripture."

If "all Scripture"--consisting of both the Old and New Testaments--is inspired, this implies, contrary to the claims of critics and liberals, that the sections of the Bible which talk about miracles, history, geography, ethics, science, etc., are all inspired, just as the doctrinal sections are.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Woody

• oldsailor29

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

To me, the question is not what is inspired and what is not. The question is: What does it mean when we say that Scripture is inspired?

Gregory

• Administrators

All creation came from God... So, what does that mean? Is all creation a perfect reflection of God?

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Perhaps the whole bible is inspired. But the question is now---by who? If what Jesus prophesied about in Matthew 13:34 is true, then both Jesus and Satan inspired the writers of the New Testament. It is our job to discover which is the truth.

• Administrators

Gregory, that is a question that would lead to a far more fruitful discussion, IMHO. Until we better and more clearly understand inspiration, it is pointless to debate if some part of Scripture is not inspired or more inspired or less inspired or inspired by who or what or who is/was inspired and is/was not inspired.

Tom

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Perhaps the whole bible is inspired. But the question is now---by who? If what Jesus prophesied about in Matthew 13:34 is true, then both Jesus and Satan inspired the writers of the New Testament. It is our job to discover which is the truth.

Mat 13:34 ¶ All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

Maybe you're right Rich, but I just don't see it in the text. Sorry.

I believe that's true og.

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

Hbr 1:1,2

For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain. And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:16-21

How is "all Scripture" inspired?

2 Timothy 3:16 makes it clear that "all Scripture is

given by inspiration of God [Greek theopneustos, literally 'God-breathed'8]," that it to say, all the

books of the Bible have a divine origin. Not only is God the fundamental source of the Bible, but

Jesus Christ was also intimately connected with the production of the Scriptures. Peter wrote: "Of

which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace

that should come unto you: searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which

was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that

should follow" (1 Pet 1:10, 11).

The apostle Peter later wrote that the Holy Spirit was also an active participant in

producing the Scriptures: "Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of

God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Pet 1:21).

Thus the testimony of Scripture is that the book we call the Bible has its source in all the

members of the Trinity--God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Just as all three

members of the Godhead cooperated in the creation of the world, so also do we find all three

working together in giving to the world a unique Book, the Bible.

The Scriptures rarely discussed the method of revelation from God to the Bible writers.

The inspired Word simply states: "In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by

the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a [His] Son" (Heb 1:1, 2). The "many

and various ways God spoke" include: visions and dreams (Isa 1:1; Eze 1:1; Dan 7:1), direct

appearances (theophanies) and messages from God (Ex 3:2-7; 20:1), through an angel (Dan

8:15-16; 9:21-22; Rev 1:1-4), eyewitness accounts (1 John 1:1-3; 2 Pet 1:16-18), reflection on

nature and human experience (Ps 8:3, 4; Rom 2:14-15; 1 Cor 7:12; as are found, for example, in

the books of Job, Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes), and historical research.

Historical research deserves some emphasis as a manner of revelation since, in the minds

of some, an inspired writer is not supposed to do any borrowing or compilation in writing the

Book, or even to employ secretarial or editorial assistance.

Contrary to this view, the Bible clearly indicates that inspired writers quoted or borrowed

from earlier authors. All truth, wherever it is found, belongs to God. Thus, Moses records that he

used material from the Book of the Wars of the Lord (Num 21:14); Joshua and Samuel mention

that they borrowed some material from the book of Jasher (Josh 10:13; 2 Sam 1:18); the authors

of Kings and Chronicles refer to at least eight lost books that they used as sources of information

(1 Kings 11:41; 15:29; 2 Chron 9:29; 12:15; 20:34; 33:19); and Luke informs us that his work

drew on historical research (Luke 1:1-4). Because the Holy Spirit guided the Bible writers in their

selection and use of sources, these writings are as much the Word of God as those whose content

was directly revealed to them in visions, dreams, and theophanies.

Sometimes, a prophet also employed a secretary or editorial assistant in communicating a

message from God, as for example, Jeremiah employed the assistance of Baruch (Jer 36)

It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired but the thoughts.

Here is what i think is a most interesting statement in regard to this question:

"It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired, but the man that were inspired. Inspiration acts not on the man's words or his expressions but on the man himself, who, under the influence of the Holy Ghost, is imbued with thoughts. But the words receive the impress of the individual mind. The divine mind is diffused. The divine mind and will is combined with the human mind and will; thus the utterances of the man are the word of God." E.G. White Manuscript 24,1886.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

Sky wrote "It is not the words of the Bible that are inspired but the thoughts." Yes, I know where you got this from and it is pure fiction.

So tell me, did the Spirit just give the thoughts to Daniel about all of the dreams--and if so, how come Daniel didn't even understand what he wrote about? Go fish!

I have heard many distorted views of Scripture in my life.

One says "Paul is all we need."

My old neighbor said "the book of Acts is all that applies to us."

I met a man who said that the Old Testament is sufficient.

I met another man who said that "the New Testament is all we need."

I met a man in `92 who said that "the the words in Red are all that we need."

Another fellow said that the thus sayeth the Lords in the OT are all that matters.

Another individual said anything but Paul's writings.

In light of these "scoopisms" I propose that we take the Bible's own words about itself "Every word of God is pure" (Proverbs 30:5).

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

Gregory, that is a question that would lead to a far more fruitful discussion, IMHO. Until we better and more clearly understand inspiration, it is pointless to debate if some part of Scripture is not inspired or more inspired or less inspired or inspired by who or what or who is/was inspired and is/was not inspired.

Tom

Exactly. You ulnderstood my point.

Gregory

• Administrators

It is also very relevant to understand the meaning of the actual words used in the text that is the crux of this whole topic. The Greek word translated as "scripture" or "scriptures" and the Hebrew words translated as "scripture"

means simply "writing" or words written down, anything in writing.

Consider how much written material was available in Biblical times compared to now and the comparative literacy of people then and now. Written words were extra-ordinary and special. Those who could write and read were likewise viewed as specially gifted, indeed blessed by God. To the illiterate, words on paper have almost a magical power and those who can interpret those odd symbols are indeed looked upon as gifted by God.

Now read the text as it is written - "All writing is from God and valuable..."

Writing has become trivialized and too common...