ClubAdventist is back!

How much of Scripture is inspired?

Do Not Doubt the Word

The second step in rightly dividing the Word is not to doubt the Word. There are two major reasons why Christians must not doubt the Word.

First, the Bible is the most authoritative guide for Christian doctrine and conduct. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Tim 3:16, 17).

Receiving the Word has a profound impact on the Bible student. Ellen White explains: "No other book is so potent to elevate the thoughts, to give vigor to the faculties, as the broad, ennobling truths of the Bible. If God's Word were studied as it should be, men would have a breadth of mind, a nobility of character, and a stability of purpose rarely seen in these times" (Steps to Christ, p. 90).

Second, God desires to help every Bible student rightly to understand and apply its truths. Through the ministry of the Holy Spirit and the guidance of heavenly angels, those who study

the Bible are to be led "to feel the importance of those things easy to be understood" and they are to be prevented "from wresting truths difficult of comprehension." God's ultimate desire is that interpreters of His written Word will "be charmed with its beauty, admonished by its warnings, or animated and strengthened by its promises" (The Great Controversy, pp. 599,600).

In view of the importance of the Word in the Christian's life and the willingness of God to help believers understand its message, Bible students must always trust the Word. When there seems to be cause to doubt the Word, Christians must be mindful of the various factors that can contribute to their doubts:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• Woody

• oldsailor29

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Some Doubts about the Bible are Due to Wrong Assumptions.

"All do not understand expressions and statements alike. Some understand the statements of the Scriptures to suit their own particular minds and cases. Prepossessions, prejudices, and

passions have a strong influence to darken the understanding" (Selected Messages, 1:20).

"The Lord designs that our opinions shall be put to the test, that we may see the necessity of closely examining the living oracles to see whether or not we are in the faith" (Review and Herald, December 20, 1892).

"You are not to take your ideas to the Bible, and make your opinions a center around which truth is to revolve. You are to lay aside your ideas at the door of investigation, and with humble, subdued hearts, with self hid in Christ, with earnest prayer, you are to seek wisdom

for God" (Fundamentals of Christian Education, p. 308).

"There are men who strive to be original, who are wise above what is written; therefore, their wisdom is foolishness. They discover wonderful things in advance, ideas which reveal that they are far behind in the comprehension of the divine will and purposes of God.

In seeking to make plain or to unravel mysteries hid from ages from mortal man, they are like a man floundering about in the mud, unable to extricate himself and yet telling others how to get out of the muddy sea they themselves are in. This is a fit representation of the men who set themselves to correct the errors of the Bible. No man can improve the Bible by suggesting what the Lord meant to say or ought to have said" (Selected Messages, 1:16).

Don't SHOULD on me! How idiotic to actually believe that all of the New Testament was inspired by God! LOL! Anyone want to buy some swamp land?
I'm not insulted, Dr. Rich. If that's the worst thing said about me this week I'm going to develop a major superiority complex. But I'll have to be candid with you---I believe that the entire Old Testiment was inspired by God too.

Do Not Doubt the Word

The second step in rightly dividing the Word is not to doubt the Word. There are two major reasons why Christians must not doubt the Word.

First, the Bible is the most authoritative guide for Christian doctrine and conduct. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Tim 3:16, 17).

Receiving the Word has a profound impact on the Bible student. Ellen White explains: "No other book is so potent to elevate the thoughts, to give vigor to the faculties, as the broad, ennobling truths of the Bible. If God's Word were studied as it should be, men would have a breadth of mind, a nobility of character, and a stability of purpose rarely seen in these times" (Steps to Christ, p. 90).

Second, God desires to help every Bible student rightly to understand and apply its truths. Through the ministry of the Holy Spirit and the guidance of heavenly angels, those who study

the Bible are to be led "to feel the importance of those things easy to be understood" and they are to be prevented "from wresting truths difficult of comprehension." God's ultimate desire is that interpreters of His written Word will "be charmed with its beauty, admonished by its warnings, or animated and strengthened by its promises" (The Great Controversy, pp. 599,600).

In view of the importance of the Word in the Christian's life and the willingness of God to help believers understand its message, Bible students must always trust the Word. When there seems to be cause to doubt the Word, Christians must be mindful of the various factors that can contribute to their doubts:

AMEN.AMEN. Is clapping here sanctioned?

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs
I already said that nothing should be added or taken away from the Bible. The comma johanneum was added in the 16th century by Erasmus. What if other things have been added that we don't know about?

I'm comparing about 15 different Greek texts word for word along with their manuscript evidence, ....

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• 2 weeks later...

1. Some Doubts about the Bible are Due to Wrong Assumptions.

"All do not understand expressions and statements alike. Some understand the statements of the Scriptures to suit their own particular minds and cases. Prepossessions, prejudices, and

passions have a strong influence to darken the understanding" (Selected Messages, 1:20).

"The Lord designs that our opinions shall be put to the test, that we may see the necessity of closely examining the living oracles to see whether or not we are in the faith" (Review and Herald, December 20, 1892).

"You are not to take your ideas to the Bible, and make your opinions a center around which truth is to revolve. You are to lay aside your ideas at the door of investigation, and with humble, subdued hearts, with self hid in Christ, with earnest prayer, you are to seek wisdom

for God" (Fundamentals of Christian Education, p. 308).

"There are men who strive to be original, who are wise above what is written; therefore, their wisdom is foolishness. They discover wonderful things in advance, ideas which reveal that they are far behind in the comprehension of the divine will and purposes of God.

In seeking to make plain or to unravel mysteries hid from ages from mortal man, they are like a man floundering about in the mud, unable to extricate himself and yet telling others how to get out of the muddy sea they themselves are in. This is a fit representation of the men who set themselves to correct the errors of the Bible. No man can improve the Bible by suggesting what the Lord meant to say or ought to have said" (Selected Messages, 1:16).

2. Some Doubts about the Bible are Due to Human Pride and Arrogance.

"Those who think to make the supposed difficulties of Scripture plain, in measuring by their finite rule that which is inspired and that which is not inspired, had better cover their faces, as Elijah when the still small voice spoke to him; for they are in the presence of God and holy angels, who for ages have communicated to men light and knowledge, telling them what to do and what not to do, unfolding before them scenes of thrilling interest, waymark by waymark in symbols and signs and illustrations" (Selected Messages, 1:17).

"The ingenuity of men has been exercised for ages to measure the Word of God by their finite minds and limited comprehension. If the Lord, the Author of the living oracles, would throw back the curtain and reveal His wisdom and His glory before them, they would shrink

into nothingness and exclaim as did Isaiah, 'I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips' (Isa. 6:5)." (Selected Messages, 1:18; cf. Seventh-day Adventist Bible Commentary, 7:919-920).

"It is sometimes the case that men of intellectual ability, improved by education and culture, fail to comprehend certain passages of Scripture, while others who are uneducated, whose understanding seems weak and whose minds are undisciplined, will grasp the meaning,

finding strength and comfort in that which the former declare to be mysterious or pass by as unimportant. Why is this? It has been explained to me that the latter class do not rely upon their own understanding. They go to the Source of light, the One who has inspired the Scriptures, and with humility of heart ask God for wisdom, and they receive it. There are mines of truth yet to be discovered by the earnest seeker" (Testimonies for the Church,

5:704).

"Christ represented the truth as treasure hid in a field. It does not lie right upon the surface; we must dig for it. But our success in finding it does not depend so much on our intellectual ability as on our humility of heart and the faith which will lay hold upon divine aid" (ibid.).

3. Some Doubts about the Bible are Due to Superficial Reading.

"As several [bible] writers present a subject under varied aspects and relations, there may appear, to the superficial, careless, or prejudiced reader, to be discrepancy or contradiction, where the

thoughtful, reverent student, with clearer insight, discerns the underlying harmony" (The Great Controversy, p. vi).

"The truths of the Bible are as pearls hidden. They must be searched, dug out by painstaking effort. Those who take only a surface view of the Scriptures will, with their superficial knowledge, which they think is very deep, talk of the contradictions of the Bible, and questio the authority of the Scriptures. But those whose hearts are in harmony with truth and duty will search the Scriptures with a heart prepared to receive divine impressions. The

illuminated soul sees a spiritual unity, one grand golden thread running through the whole, but it requires patience, thought, and prayer to trace out the precious golden thread" (Selected Messages, 1:20).

"Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit we shall be continually liable to wrest the Scriptures or to misinterpret them. There is much reading of the Bible that is without profit and in many cases is a positive injury. When the Word of God is opened without reverence and without prayer; when the thoughts and affections are not fixed upon God or in harmony with His will, the mind is clouded with doubt; and in the very study of the Bible, skepticism strengthens. The enemy takes control of the thoughts, and he suggests interpretations that are not correct" (Testimonies for the Church, 5:704, 705).

• Moderators

Hey Richard: Now you are using some quotes on inspiration that I can agree with for a change.

But be careful, if you look up the source Mrs. White used you will find out that it was considered herisy and the pastor who originally preached those words lost his ministry over those sermons as people saw him as attacking the Bible. Even Mrs. White's quoting him sparked controversery in our church. Elder Haskell did not like the view presented here and tried to get Mrs. White to become more conservative, and Elder's Washburn and Wilkerson absoloutly hated this view and attributed the inspiration of these passages to Willie White and W. W. Prescott instead of to God.

If you keep quoting these words instead of Pippim's you might be called a heritic too. (Grnted I know there is a trend to try to baptize these words from their context to make it fit the Haskell/Pippim model, and that the decendents of the Washburn/Wilkerson school is uncomfortable with the accusation that Mrs. White wrote them under the inspiration of Willie and Prescott so they also try to baptize them according to their thinking) But at least you and I are starting to read off of the same page.

Indeed, these are good quotes to keep in mind. They don't just deal with doubts regarding the Bible, as the headings read, but with how the Scriptures should be understood in general, and why it is that people come to different conclusions when reading the same thing.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Hi there...I hope you guys will not flame me here for posting a off topic question :)

I just register and I don't seem to find a place where I can start e new thread so my question...Is it possible for new mambers to start threads?

Again sorry for the newbie question!!!!

• Moderators

Hi Linc,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you have a good experience here.

You should be able to begin a new topic by clicking on the "Forum List" which you see at the top next to "My Stuff." Then click on one of the topics you are interested in. Next click on "Forum Options" or "New Topic".

Please send me PM if you can't do this or if you have problems.

Again, we're happy you decided to join us here, and I pray that you will find the Forum a blessing.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Hi there...I hope you guys will not flame me here for posting a off topic question :)

I just register and I don't seem to find a place where I can start e new thread so my question...Is it possible for new mambers to start threads?

Again sorry for the newbie question!!!!

if you are a member who has paid. see the right hand box at the top. :)

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

• Moderators

...if you look up the source Mrs. White used you will find out that it was considered herisy and the pastor who originally preached those words lost his ministry over those sermons as people saw him as attacking the Bible. Even Mrs. White's quoting him sparked controversery in our church.

Could you please provide some documentation for this? For instance, what was the name of "the pastor" you refer to? Also, if you know it, can you give the source(s) where you got your information? Or maybe suggest titles of books where this info is likely to be found? Thanks.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that. lol

Hey it's worth the little that it costs to be a paying member. You'll be glad you did it.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention that. lol

Hey it's worth the little that it costs to be a paying member. You'll be glad you did it.

Well I don't mind paying but first I think I will participate as a poster and see how things go, guess my questions can waite.

Linc

It is $1 for the first month, that gives you a good opportunity to test things, it used to be free but we got a lot of -drive-by-shooters, and they usually do are not willing to contibute a dollar to blast their babble, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Stan

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

Linc

It is $1 for the first month, that gives you a good opportunity to test things, it used to be free but we got a lot of -drive-by-shooters, and they usually do are not willing to contibute a dollar to blast their babble, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Stan

Got that Stan...and again it is not about the money, but since I would like to start a series of threads with some quite "tough" questions, I would like to see what level of answers I can get. You know just so I don't waste time for nothing.

By the way do you guys know how many pastors come here regularly?

Well ... most "tough" questions have been asked and answered before. One way to get a sample of what has been done is to look up previous topics similar to the ones you want to start now.

Of course you might get a slightly different slant now ... but really I suspect you will get the same range of answers.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Hey Richard: Now you are using some quotes on inspiration that I can agree with for a change.

Kevin - It is difficult for me to believe Richard's interpretation is as you seem to believe. I have seen his posts reflect radical fundamentalism on the nature of inspiration. I was a fundamentalist when I registered for college classes, but one question from my professor cleared my misconceptions. He asked me if inspired Bible authors were God's pens or His penmen? I replied immediately that they were His penmen, and suddenly i realized the implications of that. The nature of inspiration became very clear to me then, and it is hard for me to understand why it is so difficult for others to understand. There is only one answer. The Lord is the author and finisher of our faith. It is not by our desires, that knowledge of truth comes to us, but by the will of the Lord. I praise the Lord for His loving kindness, in showing me so many of His precious gems of truth, and at the same time i do not blame others for lack of knowing. The Lord chooses some and not others, and there is no explanation as to who or why. But, no need for sorrow, for i believe eventually the Lord will allow everybody to see.

Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw

http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall

Well ... most "tough" questions have been asked and answered before. One way to get a sample of what has been done is to look up previous topics similar to the ones you want to start now.

Of course you might get a slightly different slant now ... but really I suspect you will get the same range of answers.

Hi there Woody...I see that you are so from Swiss origins. I spent 3 years of my life in Geneve and man !!! How I miss it.

Well I'm not looking for a particular answer, I'm looking more to develop a discussion and try to figure out something. You know....hopefully better than what I have now.

Originally Posted By: Woody

Hi there Woody...I see that you are so from Swiss origin. I spent 3 years of my life in Geneve and man !!! How I miss it.

Well I'm not looking for a particular answer, I'm looking more to develop a discussion and try to figure out something. You know....hopefully better than what I have now.

Hey that's cool Linc. Yes Switzerland is such a wonderful place to live. Only spent a short time there ... but it was thrilling.

Hey ... any question that you might bring here will bring an onslaught of different thoughts and answers. But you would need a mountain of wisdom to figure out which one goes along with your image of God.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.