ClubAdventist is back!

Practical Godliness -- How to bear fruit.

Robert

“The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the Word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light that streams from the cross of Calvary. I present before you the great, grand monument of mercy and regeneration, salvation and redemption—the Son of God uplifted on the cross. This is to be the foundation of every discourse given by our ministers.” [EV 190]

“The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster….Those who study the Redeemer’s wonderful sacrifice grow in grace and knowledge.” [5BC, 1137]

“It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day reviewing the life of Christ from the manger to Calvary. We should take it point by point and let the imagination vividly grasp each scene, especially the closing ones of His earthly life. By thus contemplating [understanding] His teachings and sufferings, and the infinite sacrifice made by Him for the redemption of the race, we may strengthen our faith, quicken our love, and become more deeply imbued with the spirit which sustained our Saviour.” [4T 374]

• Moderators

I hate to correct your spelling on an important topic, and I'm doing it to make the message clearer, not as criticism: I think you meant 'bear' fruit.

Truth is important

Quote:

I hate to correct your spelling on an important topic, and I'm doing it to make the message clearer, not as criticism: I think you meant 'bear' fruit.

ROFL!!! I won't even get into what "bare fruit" might mean ... LOL!

Rob, we're giggling WITH you, not against you, OK ... grin.gif

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Today is the day we do homeless ministry so I'll be gone till the evening, but this shall make some good reading tonight (if my eyes hold out -- I really have to get reading glasses ... and full spectrum light bulbs...)

There's one point I disagree concerning the subject of murder/hatred in "Crucify Him".....Here's part of my e-mail that I sent Jack through a second party:

• In "Crucify Him" he states the following:

"Before we can answer these questions we first need to define the word murder. To human beings murder is the act of killing somebody. But in God’s eyes murder begins with a cherished desire or unwarranted hatred, as shown in the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus made it clear, if you are angry with somebody without a cause, or if you hate somebody without a reason, you have already committed murder in your heart. (Matt. 5:21, 22) So, according to God’s law, murder doesn’t have to be an act. Murder is a cherished hatred against somebody else."

This is the first time I have found anything I disagree with. Other versions read:

"You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment...." [see RSV; NIV; NASB]

Here's why I disagree with Jack's statement: Christ had every reason to "hate" His enemies, but instead He loved them even to the point of giving up His life forever. Technically speaking we can hate the act of sin, but not the sinner. I just don't buy, i.e., according to God's law, that it permits "hate" if one is done unjustly.

Could you forward this to Jack?

Thanks,

Robert

Apologies for the 129933-offtopic2.gif tangent here --

orgizomenos = be provoked or enraged, exasperated or wroth.

It comes from the root orge which means violent passion or abhorrence, and by implication punishment. It's specifically a punitive wrath: indignation, vengeance, wrath. I believe this is actually the same root Greek word from which our word "orgy" is derived (which is applied to other types of violent passions, not just angry ones) but this root is referred specifically to a punitive-oriented wrath or vengeance. Thus the anger referred to here MAY BE a direct usurpation of delivering justice reserved unto GOD ALONE to deliver to another.

Contrast this with thumos, the word translated "wrath" in Revelation 14:8 and 18:3. It refers simply to strong feeling or passion, without the distinctively punitive element: anger, rage, fury, "intense feeling."

[edited to clarify above; the word used for "vengeance" in Romans 12:19 is yet another word which refers specifically to judgment rather than vengeance itself.]