ClubAdventist is back!

Wadena To Start Charging Inmates 20.00 a Day

bonnie

http://www.startribune.com/local/70105882.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiacyKUzyaP37D_MDua_eyD5PcOiUr

Good old Scandinavian common sense and ingenuity

Home | Local + Metro

Wadena jail to start charging inmates $20 per day

Associated Press

WADENA, Minn. - Starting next year, inmates at the Wadena County Jail will be charged $20 for every day they're housed in the jail. They'll also be responsible for any medical expenses they incur.

Wadena County Sheriff Mike Carr says the goal is to deter people who periodically land themselves in jail so they can take advantage of free services.

He says there are some people who never go to a doctor or dentist, but as soon as they get to jail they get a toothache.

The jail program is called "Pay to Stay." It starts in January. It will rely on a collection agency to bill the inmates.

Carr says the message is, if you "can't pay for the time, don't do the crime."

Wadena is in central Minnesota, about 50 miles east of Fergus Falls.

___

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I do not expect the courts to uphold that rule. That is all well and good for people who go to jail to get free services. But there will always be those who do not or who cannot ever afford to pay. What do you do if they do not pay. Send them to jail. There is a reason why they go to jail to get those services. They cannot afford basic care. Billing them for it is a waste of postage. I doubt they will collect much if anything.

riverside.gif Riverside CA

I do not expect the courts to uphold that rule. That is all well and good for people who go to jail to get free services. But there will always be those who do not or who cannot ever afford to pay. What do you do if they do not pay. Send them to jail. There is a reason why they go to jail to get those services. They cannot afford basic care. Billing them for it is a waste of postage. I doubt they will collect much if anything.

The state or federal government is pretty good at collecting.

I would expect that they would garnish wages. Even if only small amounts per month.

Personally I think they should do that within reason to all on the government dole. For those that are physically and mentally impaired they need help.

If they are not impaired they should be given a time limit for temporary help.After that they should expect to repay,even if it is 5.00 a month

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Members

I wonder, too, if that will hold up in court. It's a good idea, though how do you determine whether or not someone did something to get into jail for purely beneficial reasons, i.e., to get medical/dental service for free? And like CyberGuy said, what do you do if the person cannot afford to pay the basic $20/day charge?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

I wonder, too, if that will hold up in court. It's a good idea, though how do you determine whether or not someone did something to get into jail for purely beneficial reasons, i.e., to get medical/dental service for free? And like CyberGuy said, what do you do if the person cannot afford to pay the basic $20/day charge?

I have heard other states have done same. I don't think the intent is free medical services so they make sure they go to jail.

Anyone being put in jail pays for "their" services.If they decide on some medical or dental after being placed they will pay.

• Members

Seems like this should then be national and not just State or County mandated. An interesting concept that *must* be working if various States/Counties are doing it with no problems being encountered.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 3 months later...

This is probably a dead topic, but I thought that I'd put my 2¢ in in case someone is reading...

I work at a jail in Washington state and the way that we do it when an inmate owes us for medical treatment, we deduct it from any deposits made to their account. The inmate is allowed to deposit money with us so that they can purchase stuff off of commissary which makes us a lot of money. However, if they owe us money, we take a percentage of any deposits. This debt rolls over to each subsequent stay until it is paid off.

Tom

Now that is criminal in itself! They should put everyone in prison who voted for such a thing--and keep them there! This country is going to heck in a handbasket very fast!

• Members

This is probably a dead topic, but I thought that I'd put my 2¢ in in case someone is reading...

I work at a jail in Washington state and the way that we do it when an inmate owes us for medical treatment, we deduct it from any deposits made to their account. The inmate is allowed to deposit money with us so that they can purchase stuff off of commissary which makes us a lot of money. However, if they owe us money, we take a percentage of any deposits. This debt rolls over to each subsequent stay until it is paid off.

Tom

This makes a lot of sense Tom.

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members

I think it's a great idea! Too many people are sponging off of the system.

I agree olger, especially prisoners, who we support. Maybe they should take a percentage of the governments pay and put it into the prison system! :)

pk

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

some day soon you will be spending time in prison--that is IF you refuse to take the 'Mark'. I hope you enjoy the thought!

I have been there and done that and I will tell you that many who are locked up are political prisoners, those who have taken a stand for the constitution and against government corruption. I have seen it on both sides and the prisons are run like a business--the more prisoners, the more money they get and the more slave labor they have. We do NOT have any constitution any more and our court and judicial system is a joke. It is no wonder the judges wear black robes--you can't see all of the evil there is that goes on behind the scene.

Sure, there are evil people, but to what degree? Like on another thread--the cops now days are just as evil as their victims (those they arrest). If you don't understand what I am saying, then you have not been there.

Sure, drugs and alcohol are just crutches for people who feel there is no hope in this world. What we need to be doing is replacing these crutches with solid factual spiritual food, the same that Jesus offered. Ok, I will now step down off of the soapbox.

some day soon you will be spending time in prison--that is IF you refuse to take the 'Mark'. I hope you enjoy the thought!

Bonnie, if it took a constitutional amendment to make it unlawful to make and sell alcohol, and then another constitutional amendment to change it, then please tell me where the constitutional amendment is that makes it a crime to 'do drugs'? Please, I am waiting! What happened is that the Executive division broke the constitution by saying they had the power to make the laws. That in itself was unlawful and they should have been placed in prison!

I have been a police officer, still have a son-in-law who is one (LA PD) and have degrees in Criminal Justice and the Law. I personally attempted to prove that 'THEY' violated the constitution and for that they gave me a 'prison' vacation. All I ever did was to make a citizens arrest and the ONLY defense for 'them' was to indict me (6 months later) and then the court refused to allow ANY (ZERO) defense, (more violations of the constitution).

So I DO know what I am talking about. I was a whistle blower on the PD and guess what? When you do this you can NO longer work for them because they ALL are afraid you will tell about what they do ALL the time! YES, Police Officers today are nothing but Government exempt criminals! Show me one that isn't?

Bonnie, if it took a constitutional amendment to make it unlawful to make and sell alcohol, and then another constitutional amendment to change it, then please tell me where the constitutional amendment is that makes it a crime to 'do drugs'? Please, I am waiting! What happened is that the Executive division broke the constitution by saying they had the power to make the laws. That in itself was unlawful and they should have been placed in prison!
Quote:

I can't answer that for you and I am not going to take the time to research laws pertaining to "drug use. But I do believe it should be against the law and it is to sell addictive drugs to our young people,this is usually where it starts. Just as it is against the law to sell alcohol to minors. Those that do this can sit in jail for years as far as I am concerned. To many young people have died as a result.

The other side of this story would be interesting to hear.

I can guess whistle blowers of all stripes can have a hard time of it.

I would doubt however that all are afraid "you will tell about what they do all the time"

You are making some pretty broad statements.

As for "police officers being government exempt criminals" you have provided nothing that indicates any facts.

You show me all the PO that are government criminals. I do not believe you or believe most PO are.

If I found myself needing protection or help it would not be those of your ilk I called.

Sorry Bonnie, I should have been more accurate with what I wrote, and it is my opinion only. I would offer for proof, that if you followed a police officer, both on duty and off, around 24-7, that you would soon find a law that he broke.

There is no difference in my book from a thief who steals from you who claims to be a thief and a jack-booted thug who steals from you claiming that you violated some law and therefore forces you hand over YOUR possessions and give them to others.

They seemed to have that same sort of problem in the day of Jesus, didn't they? Matthew WAS a tax collector, but stopped. Another tax collector gave what he stole, back when Jesus came into his life.

The ONLY reason for income tax is for control! This makes everyone of us a slave--period! (ooops, did I say that?)

Sorry Bonnie, I should have been more accurate with what I wrote, and it is my opinion only. I would offer for proof, that if you followed a police officer, both on duty and off, around 24-7, that you would soon find a law that he broke.

Yes Bonnie, and most will take the Mark of the Beast too because of Romans 13.

If have have not found anyone who was a victim of the jack-booted thugs, then you have not been to or seen the long line of people waiting to pay their traffic fines.

Tell me, what is IT about using or talking on a cell phone that is criminal? Have not truckers been doing this for years using their CB radio? This is only part of the insane 'crimes' that have placed good people in our overcrowded jails!

Like popular radio hosts Jon and Ken said last week said, "They ought to make it against the law to pass insane laws!"

And if you think you are living right now in 'freedom' with your gun and your money, then I have real sad news for you! You are in dreamland!

If have have not found anyone who was a victim of the jack-booted thugs, then you have not been to or seen the long line of people waiting to pay their traffic fines.

• Members

Anyone got any ideas why the US has by far the highest incarceration rate of any Western democracy? Four times the international average? Could it be precisely that imprisonment is big business, with its own lobbyists?

Could it be because we have criminals in jail instead of running free?

Anyone got any ideas why the US has by far the highest incarceration rate of any Western democracy? Four times the international average? Could it be precisely that imprisonment is big business, with its own lobbyists?
according to the correctional officers i know who work at the prison in our town, thats absolutely correct!!

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Tell me, what is IT about using or talking on a cell phone that is criminal? Have not truckers been doing this for years using their CB radio? This is only part of the insane 'crimes' that have placed good people in our overcrowded jails!
i wasnt too happy with the lady merging onto the freeway with a cell stuck to her ear and didnt even look to see if someone was beside her or too close. nor looked back to see if she had missed hitting anyone.

im just thankful there wasnt a lot of traffic so that i was able to move over-without having a chance to check if there was anyone around me.

perhaps most cell users are responsible, but the irresponsible ones have caused too many accidents, like a friend of mine run into a fence, totaling her car and laid her up for a while with a hurt knee, cause the guy was distracted on his cell.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Quote:
Could it be precisely that imprisonment is big business, with its own lobbyists?
according to the correctional officers i know who work at the prison in our town, thats absolutely correct!!